Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - Reggiebolt

Previously brought a Focus automatic with a reliable TC automatic gearbox, but this ended up being very thirsty, that car has now been sold so after an alternative.

Top of my list is the Honda Jazz 1st generation with the CVT automatic transmission, are there any real alternatives to this car?

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - Big John

You mention 1st generation Honda Jazz CVT - another one to consider is the previous gen Nissan Note 1.6 auto ( 63 plate or earlier). This is also a TC gearbox but with lockup and overdrive. I have a friend who had a few of these in a row who always found them surprisingly economical.

Edited by Big John on 01/02/2020 at 21:31

I am worried about the MPG just sold a focus 2nd gen auto due to poor mpg. The note if i recall is a 1.6

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - Big John

My friend used to get mid 40's mpg

Also the engine and gearbox is uber reliable

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - badbusdriver

Have we not been over this?. Just read your previous post, nothing has changed.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/133964/honda-jazz-...e

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/02/2020 at 21:28

Ive made a new post as i could not edit that one. So an update, i sold the focus as it was too thirsty. I am at the point where i think many of those cars listed may be too thirsty too apart from the CVT.

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - SLO76
Did you read my post on your other thread? I posted links to two local cars one a Jazz the other a Yaris. Quick calculation based on you having managed to get your £1,000 back for the Focus and you finding a Honda Jazz CVT at a realistic minimum of £2,500 it’ll take around 5yrs to repay that extra £1,500 assuming it does 10mpg more over 7,000 miles a year.

The most important thing at this money is reliability. It makes little sense to sell one reliable old car you know to buy one you don’t and despite being generally very robust little cars the first gen Jazz CVT is known for gearbox problems. It’s also nowhere near as good to drive as the Focus.

As for other small autos well anything fitted with a torque converter box (by far the most reliable option) will really only manage 5-6mpg more than the Focus in general. I would’ve kept the Focus if it was a good one.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/02/2020 at 21:51

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - Avant

You said in your first thread, about the Focus:

"Interior is bland but doesn't squeak, MPG on the motorway is around 38-40. Stop start is around 25-30."

That sounds pretty reasonable for a 1.6 automatic. Did you lose money when you sold the Focus after only a few weeks? If so, how long will it take for a more economical car (assuming you find one) to pay that amount back in lower fuel costs?

You didn't need to edit your first thread, just read it again. The questions you are asking again now were answered. For example, you now say,

Top of my list is the Honda Jazz 1st generation with the CVT automatic transmission, are there any real alternatives to this car?

Yet in your last thread, you posted this,

Thanks for your help, we have narrowed it down to suzuki swift Tc transmission or Honda jazz cvt. Which would you go for? What's pros and cons?

Which was answered, by myself,

As they are both very reliable, it really depends on what you need. The trump card for the Jazz is space and versatility, it has much more rear seat space than the Swift and with the seats folded down (completely flat, not with a step or slope like most cars), it turns into a proper little van. The boot itself is the biggest in class, closer in volume (and in some cases, bigger) to cars from the next size up, like a Golf or Focus. Also, with the 'magic' rear seats, you can lift up the bases against the backrest to make a seperate spacious load area behind the front seats.

The Suzuki is a far more conventional supermini with adequate but by no means class leading space. It manages to avoid being too cramped by being quite tall (both it and the Jazz are more than 1.5m tall). The boot was around the smallest in class. But it is a more youthful looking car (to what extent depends on spec/colour), and overall is more fun to drive.

Interior trim quality is probably slightly higher on the Jazz, but in both, this is more of the 'hard wearing' variety than the soft touch plastics on a Polo.

For economy, i'd guess the Jazz to give better MPG by way of its more efficient CVT transmission. But after looking at some figures, there doesn't seem to be much in it.

There are two things which strike me about this exchange. Firstly that you had narrowed it down to a Jazz or a Swift...., but then bought a Focus (a bigger and heavier, i.e thirstier, car). And secondly, note the final paragraph in my answer....!.

So, as i say, you are just asking the same questions with the same answers. But just to briefly go over it again, yes the Jazz is reliable (but you must make sure the CVT fluid has been changed) and efficient. Anything with an automated manual will be economical, but probably not very reliable and also, possibly not very nice to drive (delayed throttle response, jerky gearchanges, etc). T/C auto will be reliable and smooth, but in most cases, not particularly efficient. The exceptions to these, certainly regarding town driving, would be to get something as small (but more importantly) and light as possible. The downside to choosing something like that is that it will probably be less (or at least no more) efficient on main roads or motorways as a small auto will be unlikely to have more than 4 gears and be quite low geared anyway.

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - madf

. The exceptions to these, certainly regarding town driving, would be to get something as small (but more importantly) and light as possible. The downside to choosing something like that is that it will probably be less (or at least no more) efficient on main roads or motorways as a small auto will be unlikely to have more than 4 gears and be quite low geared anyway.

The Jazz has 7 gears.. and is suprisingly high geared.. My 2012 does 70mph at 2200rpm...

The Jazz has 7 gears.. and is suprisingly high geared.. My 2012 does 70mph at 2200rpm...

As does ours. But crucially regarding the above point, neither has a 4 speed T/C auto, which is what i was referring to.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/02/2020 at 11:09

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - Trilogy.

How many miles s year do you expect to do?

What do you think about the gen 2 prius? This may fit the bill. If we can get one with a good battery

Need used reliable, automatic, economical car 3k - SLO76

What do you think about the gen 2 prius? This may fit the bill. If we can get one with a good battery

Reign in your ambitions a bit. You won’t find a good Prius for less than £3k and remember repairs and maintenance will be higher with a hybrid. Remember the three golden words when buying a cheap used car... keep it simple. Unless you can double your budget I’d forget anything other than a simple petrol engined torque converter auto. Good work on earning £400 from the Focus though.

We made 400£ on it, and to be honest my wife was complaining a lot about the petrol so it had to go for my sanity.

And how would you determine the condition of the battery?.

Pre purchase inspection at a toyota dealer

Have you read recent posts re catalytic converter theft?. The Prius seems to be one of the main targets, so bear that in mind and look into theft prevention devices.