Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - dazzammm

Hi,

My car recently had the catalytic converter changed due to it being coked up but the performance is terrible since - could there still be crap in the system?

Long version.....

The engine warning light came on for the catalytic converter about 2 years ago but was told it was nothing to worry about.

The other day the car broke down and it turned out to be the catalytic converter which had become 95% blocked up. The garage fitted a new one but when i started it up it chucked out a cloud of black smoke, the performance is terrible and the engine races when i press the accelerator.

Could there still be muck in the system? Is there a cleaning solution I could put in the engine to sort things out?

Thanks

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - elekie&a/c doctor
Perhaps there is a blockage in the exhaust system further done the line , after the catalyst.
Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - Engineer Andy

Are you 100% sure they actually changed the CAT or with the correct one? There also could be other components clogged up as well.

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - Railroad.

A blocked exhaust can be easily diagnosed with a vacuum gauge on the inlet manifold, as can a whole load of other engine faults. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube which show you how to do it and what to look for.

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - edlithgow

A blocked exhaust can be easily diagnosed with a vacuum gauge on the inlet manifold, as can a whole load of other engine faults. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube which show you how to do it and what to look for.

Well, I bought a vacuum guage in Japan, and I looked on't Nyet, and I have to say that a lot of the instructional stuff out there didn't seem to make much sense (to me), and the results from intake manifold measurements were ambiguous and inconclusive, and thus not very useful..

YMMV

Eventually I made a temporary spacer (between two exhaust sections) with a port in it for direct measurement of exhaust back-pressure, which seemed to be the only way to get anything interpretable out of the gadget.

I believe if you have a catalyst-equipped system you can use the oxygen-sensor port(s) for this purpose.

I back-flushed the rear exhaust section by disconnecting it and sticking a hose in the back end. Got some debris out.

Havn't tried any of this with a catalyst-equipped system, since I've managed to avoid them so far.

All that said, the OP's description of "racing" doesn't seem a likely characteristic of a blocked exhaust, which I'd expect to cause power loss, rough running and overheating,

Edited by edlithgow on 29/01/2020 at 14:12

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - Big John

and the engine races when i press the accelerator.

Can you describe what happens here? If the engine races away when pressing accelerator when driving in a gear to me sounds like a slipping clutch - just a thought?

However regarding the catalytic converter - it could be worth checking everything that was disturbed (eg wiring) and were the O2 sensors replaced?

Edited by Big John on 25/01/2020 at 19:13

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - Dorset123

These engines had cat failures many years ago and the ceramic from the cat was sucked back into the engine and damaged the bores causing excessive wear on the bores causing the engine to burn excessive oil which caused the cat failure, So has the garage just found the failure but not the cause. The engine needs a cylinder pressure check and a cylinder leakage test.

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - bathtub tom

the ceramic from the cat was sucked back into the engine and damaged the bores causing excessive wear on the bores causing the engine to burn excessive oil which caused the cat failure,

Sorry, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Nissan Almera Tino - Performance terrible since cat. converter replace - edlithgow

Worried me when I heard about it due to my (bad?) habit of shoving bits of beer can (plus some Portland Cement) down my exhaust downpipe, with the objective of flame spraying the inside of the (non-cat) exhaust,

IIRC (from pictures, never had one) the exhaust path to the cat is very short on the affected Nissan engines. which allows transient reverse flows to cause this problem. Slightly reassuring since distances have been greater on the systems I've done this with, though blockage still a possibility.

As suggested above, IF the OP engine was damaged in this way, a replacemnt cat might not last long.

Maybe a leak-down test (and/or an emission test without the cat) would be worthwhile, though I dunno what emission numbers you'd expect without a cat so maybe diagnosis of excess oil carry-over wouldn't be possible.