Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - Harish

Its time to change my wife's car, need some expert advice in choosing a car from the community members. She has been using Citroen C3 1.6 Diesel Manual for the past 9 years and her new requirements are:

Automatic (Smooth gear changes)
No diesel
Refinement and less road noise
Parking assistance
Apple Carplay / Android Auto
Good colour
Fuel efficiency is not a concern as she does only 15 miles daily.
Not a slow car

Budget is max £16K cash buy

We have shortlisted the options to the below

1. Citroen C4 Cactus

2. Seat Arona

3. Kia Rio

Any other considerations/things that we need to worry about?

The OTR price for C4 Cactus 1.2 PureTech EAT6 Automatic 130BHP Flair Spec (Blue Metallic color) is around £24,000 which seems very high for Cactus. Even with Citroen swappage scheme £19,000 is on the high end. We have been looking for few Pre-reg cars and what would be a good deal for a Pre-reg with just delivery mails? Is £16,000 a good deal?

Thanks in advance

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - Bromptonaut

Can you price the models you want via a broker and see how low dealers will go?

I did that successfully 20 years ago with a Xantia, less so in 2013 when looking for an HDi 1.6/115PS Berlingo. Shop around though. We found Perrys in Milton Keynes offered a much better deal than the (no longer extant) Citroen dealer in Northampton.

The outcome of that will inform whether per reg is worth considering. If buying a pre-reg make sure you're sighted on the downsides of not being first owner.

If you're looking at automatics have you read into the different types, ie Torque Converter, CVT and 'automated manual'and their respective merits? The Seat is (obviously) a VW group product and some of their automatics have a poor reputation. No personal knowledge as, unless/until something like health/disability or very different usage I much prefer manual.

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - Terry W

I agree that approaching brokers may be worthwhile but unless you are really committed to brand new, a used 2019 car with less than 5k on the clock can be had for around £13k (C4 Cactus auto)

It beats me why anyone would pay close to list price for a new car when 30%+ discount to list can be had for the sake of a couple of months and a few thousand miles.

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - badbusdriver

Both the Seat Arona and Kia Rio use dual clutch automated manuals. Ignoring the suspect long term reliability aspect, i have read mixed reviews regarding smoothness or otherwise. Most recently from a someone who posted about test driving a VW T Cross DSG (which is mechanically identical to the Arona) and thought the gearbox absolutely awful!.

Alternatives?, Peugeot 2008, Ford Fiesta Active*. I'd also suggest the Toyota C HR or Honda for their smooth CVT transmissions, but i'm pretty sure neither has Apple Car Play (not sure about AA).

*The 1.0 Ecoboost engine does have a less than steller reliablity reputation, but as you'd be buying new, or nearly new, i think i'd chance it. Just be very particular about servicing. And in case you are unfamilar with the Fiesta Active, it is just a Fiesta with a raised ride height, and some 'crossoverish' looking bodywork additions. The Fiesta is very well liked regarding comfort and refinement, and from what i have read, the Active offers a slightly softer ride.

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/01/2020 at 19:49

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - badbusdriver

Another possibility worthy of consideration given the miles the car will do is electric. £16k would get you into a 2017 example of the the first gen Nissan Leaf (that could actually be under £11k for a 24Kwh version). The 24Kwh version has a a claimed range of >124 miles, so even allowing for battery degredation and winter weather there would be no issues with doing 15 miles!. But you also get a bigger battery 30Kwh version with a range of >155 miles. Not that fast in terms of top speed (i think they are limited to about 90mph), but as with all electric cars, they are very nippy off the line with maximum torque available immediately. Of course they are very smooth as there are no gears to change, and as far as i have read, they are quiet and comfortable.

Assuming you have a driveway, it could be ideal?.

BTW, the current version starts at about £18k

That was my first choice but after reading some horror stories with the batteries I think we are not yet ready for mainstream electric cars.

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - alan1302

That was my first choice but after reading some horror stories with the batteries I think we are not yet ready for mainstream electric cars.

Too late - mainstream electric cars are already here

Citroen C4 Cactus - Need advice on new car - SLO76
You would need to have your head examined if you paid £20k plus for a Cactus. Any small automatic Citroen will be absolutely annihilated by the trade in the used market and the quirky Cactus is a bit love it or hate it and thus will be hit hard. If you like it then buy a used basic bottom spec 1.2 petrol with a manual box for £10k or less.

More rational options would include...

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191017341...0

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190930277...9

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191028378...5

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190903180...4

All of these cars are reliable and will be long lived plus the trade love them and thus resale values will remain far far stronger than a £20k Citroen or any unreliable DSG equipped VAG model.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/01/2020 at 22:35

Thank you, will look at the links that you sent