Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - VengaPete

Hi Folks

Regular viewers of my posts will know I've asked about automatics previously and I'm now looking for a bit more information.

Previously (July) I've asked about a car for my daughter and for various medical reasons at the time we had to drop plans but are now in a position to look again.

As before the budget is £5k

To recap, you guys previously advised around..

Honda Jazz / Civic CVT (advised to avoid iShift?)

Suzuki SX4 - Torque Converter (T/C) - although tax is quite high at £280 on the autos

Suzuki Swift - T/C from what I can find

Kia Rio / i20 - T/C

Yaris CVT / Verso CVT - not MMT version

Mazda 2 - T/C

Maybe a Meriva / Astra but not with the Easytronic box -I believe if it isn't Easytronic it is T/C?

A Fiesta / Focus / Fusion pre Powershift when they used T/C boxes

I think a Nissan Note had a T/C box before it got the self destruct CVT from around 2011?

..so a big thanks for all the advice around these.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Needs to be reliable as she works unsocial hours so favouring Torque Converter or CVT or reliable DCT(if they exist). It will be mainly town miles so petrol only as I don't think £5k will get them in a Hybrid.

Having kept looking while medical things got sorted I'm finding it difficult to confirm around what has what type of auto unless its been confirmed elsewhere on the forum

Can anyone suggest if there is a way to "know" when you drive a vehicle what auto it has? Ie: characteristics of the gearbox change or the selector style etc.

If anyone can suggest any other things to consider please feel free to comment.

Before anyone says it, Auto is required, manual isn't an option (and yes, I know about the left foot brake debate and I'll be talking to my daughter about that)

And as always, Thanks folks...

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - KB.

The list doesn't include Hyundai i10 auto or Kia Picanto auto but they will have been considered I'm sure. I believe, for whatever reason, that an i20 auto is likely to be as economical - if not more so - than an i10 ... which in my own case is remarkably UNeconomical but I think later versions are a bit better (mines the earlier shape).

But I have to say the i10 has been reliable over the past 8 yrs (albeit with low mileage) and has never let me down.

Edited by KB. on 09/01/2020 at 21:50

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - tourantass
Have a look at a Suzuki Celerio they have a tq auto..and get very good reviews and great mpg.
Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - badbusdriver

It is a tricky conundrum but possibly the best thing to do would be to put a quick post on here if you see something specific you/your daughter likes the look of.

A couple of points.

Re Honda, the Civic only uses a CVT for the current version, at your budget it will either have a T/C auto or the i-shift. With Honda, thankfully, it is very easy to spot, with the i-shift on both Jazz and Civic having a weird looking gear selecter which looks like a manual gear lever over a circular 'gate' (if you see one you will understand exectly what i mean!) whereas the CVT or T/C has very much a standard looking auto gear selector. With the Jazz, only the pre-facelift second gen cars (2008-2011) had i-shift, the first gen were all CVT as are the third gen (though these are not likely to be found within a £5k budget)

Re the Meriva, the 2nd gen was t/c only, this was from 2010 onwards, and will be either a 1.7 (Isuzu) turbo diesel or a 1.4 turbo petrol.

Re the Nissan Note, whether or not it is a CVT is answered simply by is it a first (2006-2013) or second gen (2013-2016). If it is a first gen, it has a T/C (mated to a 1.6 petrol), if it is a second gen, it has a CVT (mated to a supercharged 1.2 petrol).

Have a look at a Suzuki Celerio they have a tq auto.

No they don't, the Celerio uses an automated manual (AGS).

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - KB.

Have a look at a Suzuki Celerio they have a tq auto.

No they don't, the Celerio uses an automated manual (AGS).

^^^ Quite so, the AGS was never rated very highly by those who reviewed them. I hated the AGS in Citigos that I drove.

The Celerio has a poor occupant safety rating too (61 percent tested in 2014) - the 2014 Hyundai i10 was better....79 percent.

Just to address another couple of points.

Firstly, the Suzuki Swift is definitely T/C auto.

The Ford Fiesta is a little more confusing, but bear with me!. On the fifth gen (2002-2008), which presumably is going to be the oldest you might end up looking at, there were two auto options. On the 1.4 you got the Durashift automated manual, but the 1.6 had a T/C auto (same applies to the Fusion).

On the pre-facelift (2008-2013) sixth gen Fiesta, the auto was T/C only (with a 1.4 petrol) up to the. The facelifted version (you can tell by the new 'trapezoidal' shaped grill) was where the dreaded Powershift automated manual came in to play, initially with a 1.6 petrol then later cars had the 1.0 Ecoboost.

Slightly less confusing with the Focus as long as you avoid third gen cars!. Second gen cars, both pre (2004-2007) and post (2008-2011) facelift all used T/C auto's with either a 1.6 or 2.0 petrol. The Powershift only came in for the third gen cars from 2011 onwards and would be either a 1.6 petrol or 2.0 turbo diesel.

Going back to my last post, i addressed the Vauxhall Meriva but you also mentioned the astra. I'm not sure the Astra has ever used an automated manual, but definitely not on the fifth (2004-2010) or sixth (2009-2015) gen cars you'd be looking at.

Elaborating on the Meriva, the second gen cars were based on the Astra, whereas the first gen cars were based on the Corsa. The Corsa was avaiable with the Easytronic automated manual, but only with the 1.2 (the 1.4 had T/C auto). So as the auto versions of the first gen meriva were 1.6 or 1.8 i'm almost certain they would have been T/C.

Finally, if you tell us where in the country you are, i'd be happy to have a look to see what i can find locally (not able to work today due to temperature so it will give me something to do!)

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - SLO76
You’re right to gather a shortlist but small autos are comparatively rare and thus much depends on what’s available nearby so tell us roughly where you are and I’ll have a look at what’s near you that I’d recommend.
Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - John Boy

Suzuki Splash/Vauxhall Agila B are not in the list. They're essentially the same car made by Suzuki. Torque converter auto, within budget, more room inside that you'd expect, really easy to get in and out of.

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - argybargy

As the not-so-proud owner of two cars with gearboxes on the list of those NOT to buy as a first automatic, the Powershift and the Easytronic, let me add my voice to those advising avoidance of such options at all costs.

Unless your daughter likes a car that changes gear when it wants to, and not when you need it to, that is.

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - Graham567

My sister has just bought a Kia Venga automatic on a 13 plate for £5500 from a Kia dealer.

It has a full sunroof,tilting rear seats and heated front seats.It still has 7 months KIA warranty left.

She's very pleased with it and it evidently has a very good turning circle!

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - barney100

I have a 2018 Corsa 1.4 auto on loan while my car is being redesigned. It's easy to drive and I am quite impressed with it.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I think above all, it shows that buying an auto can be a minefield.

SLO76 - We are in Derby but don't mind a run out if a car seems worth it.

Graham567 - thats a really good deal by the sound of it. If it wasn't so thirsty a Venga would also be my favourite to advise my daughter on. We have one but 23mpg around town is a bit shocking in these modern times of 50mpg and higher.

Find My Daughter an Auto - part 2 - 72 dudes

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I think above all, it shows that buying an auto can be a minefield.

SLO76 - We are in Derby but don't mind a run out if a car seems worth it.

Graham567 - thats a really good deal by the sound of it. If it wasn't so thirsty a Venga would also be my favourite to advise my daughter on. We have one but 23mpg around town is a bit shocking in these modern times of 50mpg and higher.

Don't forget that no torque converter automatic is going to be very economical when driven on mainly short journeys, regardless of how economical the manual version is on a longer run, or what the older 'official' combined figures say.

Having said that, 23mpg from a Venga is pretty poor.

Went on to Autotrader, picked a random postcode in Derby town centre (McDonalds!), petrol, auto, £4-5k, >60k miles, no insurance write offs, and cars up to 50 miles away. Here are what caught my eye starting at the nearest,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191216538...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191117445...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191113432...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191113431...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191202495...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191115441...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200108590...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200106584...4

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191108416...5

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191209518...6

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191221552...6

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191202496...7

I am also throwing in this first gen (CVT) Jazz (which is just outside the 50 miles) as it will be more efficient than any of the above. Yes, it is a bit older, but they are very reliable and very practical.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191127480...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/01/2020 at 21:31

Thanks Badbusdriver - I'll run your choices by daughter and see what she thinks.

I'll be sure to come back when a purchase is made and let you all know what we went with just to wrap these threads to completion