Looking for 8th gen Civic Possible for about £1000 - L.F

I don't want the diesel as the clutch and dmf problems but do you think i should avoid or has anyone got experience with a similar scenario but got a decent motor?

The story is a have a focus the gearbox has gone steering rack exhaust blowing it just seems to have fell apart aha.

I was wondering whether to try cat d and see if any come up i'm not sure for a 8th gen civic.

Looking for 8th gen Civic Possible for about £1000 - badbusdriver

No reason to avoid, but also no reason to single out a Civic in particular. Why?, because any £1k car is going to be a gamble, and even the most otherwise reliable car could turn into a money pit very quickly if you have not thoroughly checked the car in question.

Instead of singling out one particular car, you should really be focussing on condiditon above all else. Ideally a privately owned car who's owners have had it for a number of years. Also, use this website, www.gov.uk/check-mot-history, to check the MOT history of any car you are looking at. This will give you an indication of how well the car has been looked after, as will meeting the owner if a private sale (do they look like the kind of person that would scrimp on maintenence and the upkeep of the car?).

It is sensible to avoid diesel at this money, but other (petrol engined) cars you should be looking at aswell as the Civic are, in no particular order, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, and Vauxhall Astra. All of these are inherently reliable, though at the age they are likely to be, all could be suffering from rust issues, so check carefully (in combination with any specific knowledge on the car you are looking at from previous MOT advisories)

Looking for 8th gen Civic Possible for about £1000 - SLO76
It’s a mistake to fix your search on just one car at this very limited budget. Open things up as much as you possibly can and buy on condition over style and gadgets. A Mk 8 Civic will be very high in the miles or very tatty for £1,000 but it’s enough to get the better made and more practical Mk 7 in decent condition. Forget image until you can afford it. A good Mk 7 will serve you far better than a worn out Mk 8.

I’d shortlist the following...

Honda Civic Mk 7 1.4/1.6 petrol
Honda Accord 2.0 petrol
Toyota Corolla 1.4/1.6 petrol
Toyota Avensis 1.8/2.0 petrol
Mazda 3 1.6 petrol
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol
Ford Focus 1.6 petrol (you’ve been unlucky with yours but these are generally very reliable especially the Yamaha designed 1.6)
Looking for 8th gen Civic Possible for about £1000 - L.F

Thank you the short list is very helpful as i don't know much about cars but as heard Japanese for reliability and with the focus mine was 1.8 been 3 years always started first time not had to push start no breakdowns been solid till now. Its just maybe i thrash the car trying to keep up with the faster ones and it did have a leak when i got so progressively worse. Atlas it still drives hopefully for the month or so while looking.

Looking for 8th gen Civic Possible for about £1000 - Engineer Andy

BBD and SLO's recommendations are, as usual, spot on. My own Mazda3 1.6 petrol just passed its 11th MOT in a row (no failures since new, touch wood), so I can vouch for the car's reliability. Still drives very well for a 14yo car.