Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Eddt
Hi, hope somebody can help with this.

I bought a my first car two days ago and I was given the full service history as well as the new keeper slip with some part of the v5c. The address on the v5c is that of the previous keeper and not the motor dealer that sold it to me, is this unusual? I’m asking because according to the car history I checked online, the new registered keeper acquired it in Oct and the v5c was issued roughly 6 days later (this is the v5c I was given by the dealer), however there seems to be a new v5c issued in Nov hence I can’t use the reference number on the v5c I was given to pay tax. The dealer seems to be unaware of this latest v5c, is he pretending? Im just wondering why a v5c was issued twice in the space of two months
Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - SLO76
“ The address on the v5c is that of the previous keeper and not the motor dealer that sold it to me, is this unusual?“

No, unless the dealer has registered the car to themselves then their name won’t appear on the V5, all perfectly normal.

“ I checked online, the new registered keeper acquired it in Oct and the v5c was issued roughly 6 days later (this is the v5c I was given by the dealer), however there seems to be a new v5c issued in Nov hence I can’t use the reference number on the v5c I was given to pay tax. The dealer seems to be unaware of this latest v5c, is he pretending? Im just wondering why a v5c was issued twice in the space of two months”

Could be an error somewhere or possibly the last owner lost it and asked for another. I’d ask the dealer to request the new V5 from the last owner otherwise you’ll have to wait until it arrives to tax it.

I’d also be concerned that it was only owned for a short period of time. Was it returned due to a fault the dealer couldn’t or refused to fix? Never buy a car that’s only been owned a matter of months or possibly weeks in this case. Ask to see the V5, you want to see longterm ownership which indicates a happy owner and a reliable car.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/12/2019 at 10:24

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Zippy123

I’d also be concerned that it was only owned for a short period of time.

A lot of the cars that I have been looking at recently have been under 1 year old and under 5,000 miles. I was hoping these were demonstrators or pre-reg deals.

Time to think again?

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - bathtub tom
A lot of the cars that I have been looking at recently have been under 1 year old and under 5,000 miles. I was hoping these were demonstrators or pre-reg deals.

Or even ex-hire cars. I bought one, but had to do some digging to find the name of the hire company as it was registered under a different company name.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - SLO76
“ A lot of the cars that I have been looking at recently have been under 1 year old and under 5,000 miles. I was hoping these were demonstrators or pre-reg deals.

Time to think again?”

They’ll be ex-lease stock. Lease firms get them cheap and return them after a year or two with low miles and full history. Nothing wrong with stock like this. I’m referring to older used cars, say 3yrs old and upwards. If they’ve had a strangely high number of owners or a very short term previous ownership then you have to ask yourself why. Buying used I always look for something that’s been owned at least 2yrs preferably much longer. A nice one owner car tells a story in itself. They’ve clearly been happy with it to run it say 3,4 or 5yrs or more.
Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Stumblebum

Some of these cars will be ex employee cars if it's within the Manufacturer Approved Used scheme.

For example Mercedes have, or used to have a scheme where staff could have a short term lease (9 months) at a subsidised rate. After none months these cars would then find their way into the Mercedes Used Approved scheme.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Leif

Some of these cars will be ex employee cars if it's within the Manufacturer Approved Used scheme.

For example Mercedes have, or used to have a scheme where staff could have a short term lease (9 months) at a subsidised rate. After none months these cars would then find their way into the Mercedes Used Approved scheme.

My local VW garage has exactly the same thing, staff can have a brand new car for peanuts for six months or a year, I forget which. This may be a VW scheme, or just for Martins VW garages. They might like it as it increases the number of cars ‘sold’ and hence increases the VW sales bonus.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Terry W

I have always assumed that main dealers want a supply of nearly new to two year old cars with modest mileages to put on the forecourt.

It gets their brand out into the market at a perceived large discount to list price which probably helps motivate the typical private buyer. Creating brand loyalty pays dividends in servicing revenue and possibly future sales to satisfied customers.

The fact that the price charged for a 6 month old car with (say) 10k on the clock may well be similar to the price paid when new by the lease company when bought in volume a few months earlier is how the market keeps running!

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Will deBeast

Some of these cars will be ex employee cars if it's within the Manufacturer Approved Used scheme...

I remember talking to a Ford employee. They were allowed two new cars. And when each car hit 3,000 miles, they were allowed to order replacements.

It kept the supply to the dealers ticking over, and I seem to recall that there's an income tax exemption so it was (is?) very cheap for the employee.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - RT

As a manager at JLR when part of Ford, my B-i-L used to get two management cars, each re-ordered when they got to 3,000 miles, but there was a monthly charge so he was effectively renting them, ie no tax to pay - he's retired now so only gets one car but still a choice of Ford or JLR products and still changes every six months.

The nearly-new cars on dealer forecourts are a mixture of manufacturer's management cars and daily rental fleets like Enterprise, Hertz, Avis etc which have a direct purchasing arrangement with car makers.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - jc2

Some of these cars will be ex employee cars if it's within the Manufacturer Approved Used scheme...

I remember talking to a Ford employee. They were allowed two new cars. And when each car hit 3,000 miles, they were allowed to order replacements.

It kept the supply to the dealers ticking over, and I seem to recall that there's an income tax exemption so it was (is?) very cheap for the employee.

Only for management-ordinary employees have to buy but do get a discount.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - catsdad
My VW approved Golf is ex-hire. The salesman said so when I made my first enquiry. It's not an issue for me. In any case the V5 only says the number of keepers and only my details are listed, not the hire company.

I am pretty sure that in the old days the V5 listed the first keeper details?

As a further aside, when seeking to trade in my Civic, a non Honda dealer knew it was a Honda management car from the reg!

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - Andrew-T
... the V5 only says the number of keepers and only my details are listed, not the hire company. I am pretty sure that in the old days the V5 listed the first keeper details?

My Pug 207SW had been lease or rental when I bought it from a Pug dealer 11 years ago with 13K on the clock. Although the dealer had serviced it, the record carried a sticker effectively saying that no questions were to be asked but warranty claims would be honoured. The original owner on the V5 had been Provincial Securities in Leicester, which is a semi-dormant front company used by Peugeot - and maybe other marques AFAIK. I recall a thread on here many years back from someone all worked up about what he saw as skulduggery.

Vw model - Question about a car bought recently - RT
... the V5 only says the number of keepers and only my details are listed, not the hire company. I am pretty sure that in the old days the V5 listed the first keeper details?

My Pug 207SW had been lease or rental when I bought it from a Pug dealer 11 years ago with 13K on the clock. Although the dealer had serviced it, the record carried a sticker effectively saying that no questions were to be asked but warranty claims would be honoured. The original owner on the V5 had been Provincial Securities in Leicester, which is a semi-dormant front company used by Peugeot - and maybe other marques AFAIK. I recall a thread on here many years back from someone all worked up about what he saw as skulduggery.

Not just Peugeot - Provincial Securities was a shell company used to register rental cars by Europcar/National Car Rental - Enterprise cars are registered to ERAC Ltd

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6184161/Used-car...l