Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - Mondey123
Hi All,

I have a 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDI. On around 150,000 miles.

Started knocking last month when driving at 60 and this carried on when I went down to 30. A strong knocking.
Took to garage - they thought it was a wheel baring initially. MOT was due so they did MOT and said they couldn’t see anything wrong and strangely, it didn’t do it again.

2 months on - when warm and on the motorway to work in the morning, can feel a knocking through the steering. No real noise with it (maybe a low hum but no metal rattle or anything like that). It’s like going over the strips at the end of a motorway that slow you down - like a dum dum dum. Eventually, engine malfunction light came on.
Took to mechanic again - he said something about the engine malfunction light is to do with the car cycling/testing on the motorway and I hadn’t been on the motorway long enough for this to finish properly which had cause the notification. That’s resolved (or should I say, the notification has gone). Mechanic thought the knocking was unrelated - said he ran it up the motorway. He thought it might have been the wheel balance. Balance done and paid for, got my car back, went on the motorway, started knocking again at 70mph.

Really frustrated. Mechanic had car for a week and charged me for something that isn’t resolved and obviously he hasn’t tested.
Contacted him again, he asked me to dip the clutch when it happens to see if the “noise” changes - it doesn’t - the noise isn’t really significant enough to classify as a noise. It’s not a metal rattling or banging.
Anyway, he said he’s 80% sure that it’s the fly wheel. He does all of our cars and is usually fine and fair priced (just really slow at replying to messages and often slow at getting the job done).
Having looked at/YouTubed the symptoms of a flywheel in need of replacement, I don’t think what I have described is similar. I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with it at the moment so was wondering if anyone has experienced similar or has any other suggestions?
I priced a replacement flywheel and for etc. and looked to be around £1k - which would be fine if that was definitely the issue... but I don’t want to spend £1k for it not to be the issue.

Also - if I continue driving the car over Christmas (mechanic closed until 2nd Jan) and it was the flywheel - would this potentially cause any other damage? Will I know when it’s really bad and not to risk driving it in fear of a breakdown? I basically need the car and can’t get it fixed until gone 2nd Jan and don’t really want to break down on the motorway.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be really appreciated!
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - elekie&a/c doctor
If it was a clutch/flywheel problem , then the noise would change when the pedal was depressed. At your high mileage , I wonder if you have a weak engine mount . Something like this could be felt through the steering .
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - Mondey123
Thanks for your reply - it has this morning started making that diesel rattle and a chirping sound when idoling.
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - Andrew-T

Sounds like the signature tune of a DMF, if the Mondeo has one ?

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - edlithgow

Bulge in tyre when it gets hot?

Not especially likely but maybe worth cosidering since potentially dangerous.

You could eliminate that by swapping tyres front and back. If it still happens on the rear you'd still feel it but not so much.

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - Andrew-T

I don't think they chirp while idling, Ed ......

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - Bolt

Just a thought, but has the power steering reservoir been checked as if they are low they can pump the steering wheel and if its frothed up due to air will look like its at correct level?

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo Steering Knock when warm on motorway - edlithgow

I don't think they chirp while idling, Ed ......

Oh yeh. Missed that bit.