Hyundai Santa Fe - Changing from manual to auto - Grape

I have the new shape 2013 model SantaFe and frankly it’s been a great car and the service from Hyundai faultless. We plan to keep the car but musing over whether to swap the manual box for an Auto. Does anyone have any idea how easy this would be and a ball park cost? We would use the same Hyundai dealership as ever but fancy knowing ‘something’ before going in and talking to them. Thx

Hyundai Santa Fe - Changing from manual to auto - Galaxy

Never going to be worth doing.

If you really want an auto sell yours and buy one.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Changing from manual to auto - gordonbennet

Such changes in the past whether engine or gearbox were always labour intensive, but with everything now having electronic controllers and sensors plus associated wiring looms, which will all be different, this would prove to be a massive and very expensive task.

It would require a donor similar automatic boxed write off complete with undamaged wiring and all ECU's intact to make the job even considerable IMHO, and you have no idea what is still serviceable after a crash bad enough to fully write the vehicle off, box could have been used for heavy towing, box or ecus could have been damaged in crash, might even need a different subframe and/or driveshafts, not forgetting interior changes.

Ball park figure?, if you wanted a new gearbox, if you got any change from £7k all in i would be surprised and would be prepared for even higher costs involving labour investigating the inevitable issues, even £5k for a used unit and fitting would go a long way to trading up to a lower mileage and newer automatic car.

Not sure as the Hyundai dealer would want the job to be honest, i see nothing but trouble for everyone involved.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/12/2019 at 17:55

Hyundai Santa Fe - Changing from manual to auto - Grape

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Might just upgrade when the time is right. These Santa Fe’s are such good dependable cars I’ll probably just get the new 2018 model.