P*** poor driving and dash cams - drd63
Is it obligatory for p*** poor drivers to have a dash cam fitted? Recent experience suggests that the two are inextricably linked and the worse the driver the higher the likelihood of them having a dash cam. Lane discipline, awareness and anticipation seem to go out of the window once they’re fitted.
P*** poor driving and dash cams - Bolt
Is it obligatory for p*** poor drivers to have a dash cam fitted? Recent experience suggests that the two are inextricably linked and the worse the driver the higher the likelihood of them having a dash cam. Lane discipline, awareness and anticipation seem to go out of the window once they’re fitted.

glad someone else noticed that, what with mobile in the front of drivers eye view as well as next to the camera they cant see where they are going, often they are too close to the screens which has to block visibility.

often see drivers who have just passed the test with them plastered on the windscreen right in the drivers view so they cannot see the road, and I have had several near misses due to them not seeing me, I thought there was a law stating where not to put them?

P*** poor driving and dash cams - oldroverboy.

I thought there was a law stating where not to put them?

There is!

I don't consider myself a poor driver, but have a dasgcam for my protection. Too often down here in Essex we have the "I'll just dive in front of you and hit the brakes types" and the one who want you to hit them to pay for samage already on the car.

I posted a while back that i was parked in a supermarket car park in a double row and a female of the species reversed in and claimed i had driven into her car. Pointed out dashcam......OH Sugar and left....... dashcam footage saved.

My insurer also gives a discount for the dashcam.

I thought there was a law stating where not to put them?

There is!

I don't consider myself a poor driver, but have a dasgcam for my protection. Too often down here in Essex we have the "I'll just dive in front of you and hit the brakes types" and the one who want you to hit them to pay for samage already on the car.

I posted a while back that i was parked in a supermarket car park in a double row and a female of the species reversed in and claimed i had driven into her car. Pointed out dashcam......OH Sugar and left....... dashcam footage saved.

My insurer also gives a discount for the dashcam.

I have no problem with dashcams in the right places, but a lot more put them above the steering wheel in line of sight looking out windscreen -that includes the sat nav and some are 6 and 7" so not small, ie, mobile phone sat navs

but put in front of where you look straight through windscreen is stupid

most people put them in the centre to nearside of dashboard not above steering wheel?

most people put them in the centre to nearside of dashboard not above steering wheel?

Mine is a nextbase 312 and sits slightly to the left of the internal rear view mirror as high as i can get it. It is also hardwired so that there are no trailing wires,

Mine is a nextbase 312 and sits slightly to the left of the internal rear view mirror as high as i can get it. It is also hardwired so that there are no trailing wires,

I was behind a Toyota Aygo earlier and it had a sat nav over the top of steering wheel in line of sight so I really dont understand how they put up with it, I personally hate anything in the way of looking at the road and like a clear screen, I even hate stickers on windows

Edited by bolt on 12/12/2019 at 09:01

P*** poor driving and dash cams - gordonbennet

In both our cars as ORB describes, to the left of the rearview mirror, i also have one in the back window of the Toyota in case one of the usual suspect dishonourable species hits me from behind and tries a false claim, will put one in the back of the Forester in due course, only reason i haven't is more likely to get bashed by the dogs.

Poor aggressive half wit driving is now more normal than competent driving, i put the blame squarely on modern vehicles protecting those who haven't the first clue about vehicle control from losing it on the first wet roundabout they encounter, leading them to believe they are excellent drivers when in fact its the vehicle covering for their lacking, when we get some snow that usually displays their real skill levels in short order.

ORB, are you able to leave your dashcam running whilst the vehicle is parked, with a high capacity sd card and set the recorder to lower speed (dunno the technical term for this) there should be many hours of recording capability with little battery drain, i haven't done this yet but SWMBO parks at various places and low lifes are breeding faster than ever.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/12/2019 at 09:17

P*** poor driving and dash cams - nellyjak

Poor aggressive half wit driving is now more normal than competent driving, i put the blame squarely on modern vehicles protecting those who haven't the first clue about vehicle control from losing it on the first wet roundabout they encounter, leading them to believe they are excellent drivers when in fact its the vehicle covering for their lacking, when we get some snow that usually displays their real skill levels in short order.

Largely and sadly true...it is their sensory deprivation device.

Driving isn't seen as a skill anymore...just a right.

P*** poor driving and dash cams - Andrew-T

<< I thought there was a law stating where not to put them? >>

I expect there is - there are laws about almost anything, but many laws relating to traffic and driving are forgotten or ignored, as we all know. Adding another would have little effect. For one reason there are just too many, and for another it is impossible to enforce them all.

The only regulations which work most of the time are those involving self-preservation or protection of assets, such as traffic signals, where offences are usually pretty obvious.

P*** poor driving and dash cams - Engineer Andy

In some areas where 'crash for cash' is prevalent, people have to have dash cams in order to disprove the dodgy claims just as much as those trying to make them use them for nefarious purposes.

I'm thinking of getting one because the number of very bad drivers and crash for cash type incidents is increasing, and I'm not a bad driver. I would say that the prevalence of the three-lettered 'safety features' makes people lazy and take more risks when driving.

I know of one person who owns a Tesla who, despite it being illegal at present, uses his car's autopliot mode a lot and doesn't pay attention when 'driving', seemingly revelling in it despite the tech not being perfected, especially for the UK's roads which are significantly different to those in sunny California.

An ex-colleague of mine said he deliberately drove faster with his (then) new car (this was a while ago) because it had ABS etc when his old car did not.

In some areas where 'crash for cash' is prevalent, people have to have dash cams in order to disprove the dodgy claims just as much as those trying to make them use them for nefarious purposes.

I'm thinking of getting one because the number of very bad drivers and crash for cash type incidents is increasing, and I'm not a bad driver. I would say that the prevalence of the three-lettered 'safety features' makes people lazy and take more risks when driving.

I know of one person who owns a Tesla who, despite it being illegal at present, uses his car's autopliot mode a lot and doesn't pay attention when 'driving', seemingly revelling in it despite the tech not being perfected, especially for the UK's roads which are significantly different to those in sunny California.

An ex-colleague of mine said he deliberately drove faster with his (then) new car (this was a while ago) because it had ABS etc when his old car did not.

I did have one but will have to replace it, any recommendations?

but didn't Tesla say after one had an accident that autopilot is not fully autonomous its only a driver aid? gradually improving...

I did have one but will have to replace it, any recommendations?

I have in the past tried the cheapies, but now have a nextbase 312, available on fleabay...

hardwire kit also available.

We've had several Transcends in the family, my one died a few months ago (time flies, must be nearly 2 years ago thinking about it), getting expensive now, well over twice the price of what i now use.

Been replaced with a Yi dashcam, and another slightly different model Yi in the back window (not a specific rear facing model but does the job of recording fine), both plugged into the cars charger outlets, both easy to set up and play not an unpleasant little tune when switching on and off as the ignition goes on and the car eventually switched off to let you know they have fired up, have viewed footage which is surprisingly decent.

I like a reasonable size camera so i can see the screen and operate the menu easily, did try a really small model before buying the original Transcend, returned, not only did it not work right but it most have been designed for 16 year olds with the eyes of a hawk.

The Transcends were prone to losing date/time if stood for a few days, the Yi's have not lost the date/time stamp once, also came with ample lead lengths, which is pressed into the outer screen edges with extra folded inside the trim so all out of sight.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/12/2019 at 14:46

P*** poor driving and dash cams - Miniman777

Anyone noticed the number of people who drive with the camera image showing on the screen, which I'd find a distraction, cable hanging down. On my cars, the cam is concealed by the rear view mirror, wiring neatly hidden too.

My bugbear is folk with large mobiles (or sat navs) stuck in the driver's eyeline, often on stalks and not dimmed at night. Crazy.

Anyone noticed the number of people who drive with the camera image showing on the screen, which I'd find a distraction, cable hanging down. On my cars, the cam is concealed by the rear view mirror, wiring neatly hidden too.

My bugbear is folk with large mobiles (or sat navs) stuck in the driver's eyeline, often on stalks and not dimmed at night. Crazy.

Probably the same crew who travel along even deserted roads at night on dip only, never once using main beam and where the dip beam must be at the lowest possible beam setting before they disappear under the car and become reversing lights...light mirrors windows filthy dirty to boot, is it any wonder the negligent silly damage and collisions that happen.

I also wonder sometimes if the GPS system went down how many would end up unable to find their own way home or to the supermarket or to work, or other places they travel to if not every day then frequently, its worrying what we share the roads with.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/12/2019 at 15:07

P*** poor driving and dash cams - edlithgow

I've been a passenger in a car here where the driver was watching a Korean soap opera on his dash screen.

Of course I havn't driven much at all in the UK in the last 15 years (A couple of days in the Highlands doesn't really sample the Mean Street Scene) so I can't say

"You lot don't know you"re born""

Oops, I sort of just did, but I don't know for sure if its true.

Maybe its got a lot worse in the UK, but the relative accident statistics suggest that its still a relatively safe place to drive.

(For 2016 fatalities per 100.000 population Wickipedia has 3.1 UK, 12.4 USA, and 12.4 Taiwan, though rather typically the last figure has a "non-harmonised" note against it. Not Copy and Paste then?)

When I first got here it was Light into Darkness, Heaven into Hell

Relatively speaking.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/12/2019 at 16:10

P*** poor driving and dash cams - concrete

Bit of a sweeping statement drd63. I make it a point to maintain lane discipline, signal my intentions, and generally drive safely with consideration for other road users. Admittedly there are some poor drivers, always has been, but to link them with dash cams is a bit of a stretch. Yes, I do have a dash cam and the merits are clear. If you drive safely and are not responsible for any incident, then instead of your word against someone else it is clear who is at fault. As per ORB and his incident. There used to be police patrols who would generally pick up such things as you mention, including obscuring the view with equipment, but sadly no longer. In general I think dash cams are a useful device and provide contemporary footage at any given point in your journey. Where is the harm?

Cheers Concrete

P*** poor driving and dash cams - johnnyrev
Has anyone seen the many online videos of dash cam near misses and supposed poor driving? It seems to me that many of these recorded incidents are the fault of the car with the dash cam, as they accelerate too fast off roundabouts, don’t make any allowance for people being in the wrong lane and generally drive without any consideration for others, hence other cars getting in the way is inevitable. :

Good point Johnnyrev, one wonders just how selective the footage being shown is in some cases, people taking roundabouts at stupid speeds and wondering why there's someone in the way, not helped by so many roundabouts and junctions being deliberately blind by foliage or fencing, you want to try getting 44 tons moving on a blind roundabout when some fool is coming round the corner at 50mph and you only have 10 or 12bhp per ton to make use of...course it would help if people used their indicators because A i'm not mystic Meg and B my crystal ball isn't working any more.

I wouldn't be without dashcams now.

P*** poor driving and dash cams - drd63
OK, so a bit of a generalisation but I purely on anecdotal evidence das cams seem to be attached to poorly driven vehicles. I’m sure this doesn’t apply to members of this forum but wasn’t there research to show that drivers with poor awareness and anticipation have more near misses than most but feel others are to blame, not them and therefore feel a dashcam protects them against others when in reality they are the problem.
P*** poor driving and dash cams - Bilboman

My one resounding argument against gun ownership which never fails to stun the admittedly few determined diehard (excuse the pun!) gun lobbyists I occasionally bump into is to ask: "Who in their right mind would let any of the large and growing community of brainless m****s currently driving around the place anywhere near a loaded weapon?"
And let's not forget that most of the aforementioned have actually taken lessons and passed a test at some point in their lives!

My one resounding argument against gun ownership which never fails to stun the admittedly few determined diehard (excuse the pun!) gun lobbyists I occasionally bump into is to ask: "Who in their right mind would let any of the large and growing community of brainless m****s currently driving around the place anywhere near a loaded weapon?"
And let's not forget that most of the aforementioned have actually taken lessons and passed a test at some point in their lives!

The problem with weapons of any sort be it guns, knives or cars is that if some people have them, then they are going to use them.

With a car, for example, those who have loud exhausts are prepared to let the rest of us hear them, and some of those with fast cars and motorbikes are also prepared to speed/act stupidly.

P*** poor driving and dash cams - galileo

The problem with weapons of any sort be it guns, knives or cars is that if some people have them, then they are going to use them.

With a car, for example, those who have loud exhausts are prepared to let the rest of us hear them, and some of those with fast cars and motorbikes are also prepared to speed/act stupidly.

Over the last 40 years I have spent time with dozens of gun owners, target shooters, deer hunters and clay-pigeon shooters.

The only one who ever injured anyone with a gun was a chap who shot a hole in his own leg while trying a fast draw with his revolver.

The legal gun owners will have had to jump through a number of hoops to be issued with a Firearm Certificate, one of which is a probationary period of several months, during which other club members observe him (or her) and will advise the Old Bill if they have concerns about their suitability: driving tests only take an hour, then they are let loose..

(Note that this happened in the cases of the Hungerford and Dunblane shooters, but the proper action was not taken by the authorities).

I am only worried about the large number of illegal weapons held by those associated with the drugs trade and by terrorists.

Legislation does not control these, if a fanatic runs amok with a gun or other deadly weapon, as at London Bridge, guns are the only way to quickly stop the threat.

drivers with poor awareness and anticipation have more near misses than most

It seems to be the norm now as most drivers round my way are the same, that includes idiots that take off corners and think they are driving in USA

though one car cutting a corner off, hit another car on my road on the bend last night and shouted and literally screemed at the driver who was on the correct side of the road

Luckily no one was hurt, but the driver in the wrong made a big fuss thinking they were in the right.

... of course it would help if people used their indicators because A i'm not mystic Meg and B my crystal ball isn't working any more.

But then some indicators give a misleading message as well ....

... of course it would help if people used their indicators because A i'm not mystic Meg and B my crystal ball isn't working any more.

But then some indicators give a misleading message as well ....

I thought the only purpose of an indicator light was to tell the other person that you might be turning?

An example,

Yesterday on Cowdray Avenue in Colchester, turning left by the Volvo dealer to go into the retail park was a jaguar waiting to come out. I had slowed ready to turn left, noticed him waiting, Flashed to say "I see you", but sensible man waited until i had actually stopped. The turning is actually a bit narrow,so I was doing myself a favour to have enough room anyway.

Flashed to say "I see you"

Is that not confusing as most people I know flash headlights to say you are ok to make the manoeuvre or go, not I have seen you?

In the US you could fire a warning shot across his bonnet (hood). Much less likely to be misunderstood.

Using "defensive ammo", naturally.

Is that not confusing as most people I know flash headlights to say you are ok to make the manoeuvre or go, not I have seen you?

It may be OK if there is only one receiver of the signal. There's a junction near here with unquestionable road priorities signed and marked on the road, but drivers make up their own rules all the time. I'm amazed that the only 'event' I know of was an old guy driving out in front of a speeding fire engine, with predictable results. At least the top could be taken off his car almost immediately ....

It may be OK if there is only one receiver of the signal.

I, and others, have flashed headlights once to let people reverse off of drives- pull out of side turnings and used the same signal to thank other drivers letting me through gaps in cars if there is no room for two way traffic- without any problems, but never flashed to say, I have seen you?

I admit there are drivers who make up their own rules all the time especially on roundabouts, and as mentioned some race onto them so fast sometimes anyone slow to get going gets in there way and often use the wrong lane and cut others up which really has got out of hand

I, and others, have flashed headlights once to let people reverse off of drives- pull out of side turnings and used the same signal to thank other drivers letting me through gaps in cars

I often flash while passing a M'way slip road to invite drivers to join ahead of me, and sometimes to tell drivers of long vehicles they can pull in again. Not usually room for much doubt there.

Perhaps i wasn't clear enough.

The "Flash" is to say ok I have seen you and it IS when I am stopped so that there is no doubt about my intentions.

I often get a thank you haz warning light or lights off and on from Truckers when letting them in. Sometimes it's hard for a 44 tonner to pull out. And generally if a bus is waiting to turn in front of me, I stop then flash, sometimes with a hand wave. Always get a wave back!

I am sure it is better to be careful and polite.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/12/2019 at 08:08

I am sure it is better to be careful and polite.

Certainly is, but its become a dying art in that not many are now, they seem to barge in where they have no need and are generally annoying.

the amount of near misses that occur because drivers really are not looking at where they are going now has become ridiculous as they are looking elsewhere

Parents with children in the back and dogs that wander all over the place take the drivers attention away as well....

I must be getting old lol

I know exactly how an accident is going to include me, and that is in cities when i am in the lorry people literally force their way in from the nearside, and seemingly are prepared to risk damage to their cars to do so, often enough the only time you know they are there is when the edge of bonnet appears above the lowest edge of the windscreen where they have literally put their drivers door so if i moved at all would hit their car...without getting into an argument with the pc crew the usual suspects performing this stunt can be guessed.

In theory it wouldn't matter too much because the camera in my vehicle works and there is a hidden second lens pointing rearwards on the nsf corner so would capture their stupid behaviour, but i have a good accident history due as much to luck as anything and wish to keep it that way, and don't want the hassle.

The lemmings of these people perform this exact maneuver at 50odd mph on crowded motorways where 6 of them attempt to force in where 4 would be a push, yes in the various mirrors i have dotted about the vehicle i can see them but with the best will in the world if some clown is determined to hit you then it's only a matter of time until they do as you can't be looking everywhere at once....now this is where it gets really interesting, i work for a respected long established company and the vehicles are generally pristine (so a good bet for honourable dealings, at least one way), i don't see people attempting these tricks where the vehicles are filthy unsignwritten or generally already battered, so maybe its a spin of form of cash for crash routine.

, i don't see people attempting these tricks where the vehicles are filthy unsignwritten or generally already battered, so maybe its a spin of form of cash for crash routine.

ANOTHER reason not to wash, or paint, your vehicle.

i don't see people attempting these tricks where the vehicles are filthy unsignwritten or generally already battered

That usually tells you the drivers really dont care about the motor so its not worth it to them trying

I watched a van this morning filthy dirty and couldn't even see the No/plate, driving like an idiot, best keep away from them me thinks....

Is it obligatory for p*** poor drivers to have a dash cam fitted?

Not here.

For example, I don't have one.

This is a pity, because I miss out on lots of amusing (and optionally self-incriminating) crash footage that I could post on the Internyet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xq1OolmO_5A&feature=emb_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=Y6WsGYAuf4o&feature=emb_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ogSmH8M84

Edited by edlithgow on 15/12/2019 at 02:29