Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - Greg Phillips

Hi there , I’m going car crazy ! Driving me round the bend literally!
I’m looking at a car for me and my son. I’m a single dad so money is tight ! A small car is fine as I have a small drive but will consider all can always park on road.
Ideally looking for reliability to do at least 40 miles a day and then adventures on the weekend ! Don’t want to spend money on repairs and other issues. PCP ? Maybe not as I have visions of sweets and dirt in car ? But open to options.
Low Tax and insurance and good Mpg and a good warranty.
Main issues I’ve had previous is repair bills so just want a happy life with no major issues ? Good warranty ?
Budget unfortunately not a lot £100 a month purely @ top end and no deposit unless you will take my Corsa Which is 2003 and done 82000 miles petrol will fail MOT on a host of things £1000 repair bill !
What deals have you got ? I’m shopping around and cheapest and best will get my sale.
Hope you can help.
G
Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - thunderbird

Budget unfortunately not a lot £100 a month purely @ top end and no deposit unless you will take my Corsa Which is 2003 and done 82000 miles petrol will fail MOT on a host of things £1000 repair bill !

£100 a month over 3 years will only buy you a £3000 car after interest. If the Corsa has a short MOT you will probably get the same in PX as WBAC would offer, at best expect a couple of hundred.

Don’t want to spend money on repairs and other issues. Main issues I’ve had previous is repair bills so just want a happy life with no major issues ? Good warranty ?

A £3000 car will need some repairs and you are unlikely to get a warranty worth the paper its written on at that price point.

At this price its a lottery, Luck will almost certainly come into it. Gut feeling might help.

Possibly stretch to a longer period ? And if required I could change car in deal ?
How about approved used cars ?
Or shall I just bite the bullet and lease a car or PCP?
What’s the best lease deal you have seen or PCP without a deposit ?
Ideally hassle free motoring .....is what I’m looking for at a good price !
Prob around the 10k mileage a year mark.
Any help advice is appreciated.

The only possible way to get 100% cost free and and hassle free motoring is to buy new.

So I have looked at the Kia Picanto, plenty big enough for you and your son.

No deposit, 10,000 miles a year, £196 a month for 3 years and if you want to keep the car a final payment of £3487.

You would still having servicing, insurance and, tax to pay but it would be cost free otherwise and should be reliable.

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - oldroverboy.

Our budget favourite

Dacia sandero

£99. a month, new car full main dealer warranty

https://offers.dacia.co.uk/cars/sandero/personal-contract-hire

47 monthly rentals (Inc. VAT) of £99

Advance rental (Inc. VAT)£1,229

service plan from £5 a month.

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - SLO76
The cheapest way to borrow for another car is to get a bank loan from your own bank. Looking at the loan calculator on mine it shows that the amount that unlocks their lower interest rates is £5,000 which brings it down from 9.8% APR to 3.6%. £5,000 over 4yrs costs £111 a month. There’s no deposit required which is just as well as your own car is worthless.

This budget fits with a wee car I’m viewing for someone later today, I won’t tell you where it is incase you nip in and steal it first. It’s an approved used 13 plate Honda Jazz 1.4 at just under £5k. These are extremely reliable little cars with excellent fuel economy and plenty of room. Not exactly fun to drive but they don’t really go wrong so with reliability and running costs in mind this would fit well with your brief.

Others to look at include..,

Ford Fiesta 1.25 (don’t touch the ecoboost or the diesels)
Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 (again leave the diesel)
Toyota Yaris 1.33

All are reliable and cheap to run and £5k will get good examples with loads of life remaining. Don’t take the dealer finance as it’ll be much dearer. A newer car on a PCP will leave you with nothing after 3-4yrs of payments and having to find another deposit.
Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - oldroverboy.

Or rather, as i missed it myself

https://offers.dacia.co.uk/cars/sandero/dacia-selections

the other was Personal Contract Hire , so not yours at the end.

PCP you have a choice to buy

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - badbusdriver

The only possible way to get 100% cost free and and hassle free motoring is to buy new.

This is simply not true. Firstly, new cars are not free(!). Secondly, new cars break down, quite oftewn in some cases!. Thirdly, if a new car breaks down, it is going to cause just as much hassle as a used car, even though (in theory) there won't be any cost to the owner for the reapair.

A couple of months ago, browsing Autotrader, i came upon a 2008 Toyota Avensis 2.0 petrol auto with an asking price of around £2.5k. I don't remember the mileage but it wasn't high, maybe around 70k and it was being sold with a full MOT. It had a full service history, and it had passed ALL of its previous MOT's with no advisories. Personally, i'd have more faith in the reliablity of that car than in most new cars.

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - madf
The cheapest way to borrow for another car is to get a bank loan from your own bank. Looking at the loan calculator on mine it shows that the amount that unlocks their lower interest rates is £5,000 which brings it down from 9.8% APR to 3.6%. £5,000 over 4yrs costs £111 a month. There’s no deposit required which is just as well as your own car is worthless. This budget fits with a wee car I’m viewing for someone later today, I won’t tell you where it is incase you nip in and steal it first. It’s an approved used 13 plate Honda Jazz 1.4 at just under £5k. These are extremely reliable little cars with excellent fuel economy and plenty of room. Not exactly fun to drive but they don’t really go wrong so with reliability and running costs in mind this would fit well with your brief. Others to look at include.., Ford Fiesta 1.25 (don’t touch the ecoboost or the diesels) Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 (again leave the diesel) Toyota Yaris 1.33 All are reliable and cheap to run and £5k will get good examples with loads of life remaining. Don’t take the dealer finance as it’ll be much dearer. A newer car on a PCP will leave you with nothing after 3-4yrs of payments and having to find another deposit.

Agree with above.

We have a 2012 Honda Jazz auto since six months old (the car,not me). 100% reliable ,cheap to run.

Youngest son has a 2012 Toyota Yaris.. Ditto.

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - Pinstripe

The most reliable cars tend to be the simplest ones that aren't loaded with technology and have 'outdated' petrol engine designs (no turbo, not direct injection, not diesel etc).

The cheapest cars to run tend to be the smallest ones with small-medium engines.

The cheapest cars to buy tend to be the unfashionable badges, some of which can be amazing value for money.

Thanks all for your advice so far.
Really appreciated.
Can you compose me your Top 5 cars I’m car shopping currently it’s very overwhelming!
I’ve seen Volkswagen Ups 5 doors
Kia Picantos
And MINI coopers !
Ahhhh so many out there !
Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - concrete

I think that SLO has nailed this one for you. £5K over 4 years at £111 per month is a no brainer, especially for a Honda Jazz. Honda are inherently reliable anyway and the Jazz is a nice little car. You will own it so sweet wrappers and general dirt are down to you as to how they affect the future resale. Start looking at Honda's. Cheers Concrete

By putting max £3.5k, max 40k miles, max 8yrs old, five-door, manual, max 1.4-litre engine, trade-seller-only, I can whittle down Autotrader's adverts to just 243 cars across the whole UK, of which only 37 are within 50 miles of my location.

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - Andrew-T
And MINI coopers !

..... barge poles ....

I agree. Reliable is not a word I would use to describe MINI.

It’s an approved used 13 plate Honda Jazz 1.4 at just under £5k

I sometimes despair at the advice given on here. The OP wants a reliable car and presumably one that will last for several years. That Honda is coming up 7 years old and whilst the brand has a good reputation any 7 year old car can soon become a money pit. If the OP is unlucky he could soon find himself looking for more finance to buy a newer more reliable car. Based on the OP's posts he does not appear to be a buyer with much (if any) car knowledge and a buyer in that position is more like to buy a pup.

Back in my youth mates thought I was mad buying new when they bought 3 year old motors. But I only had to buy a new motor every 5 years and properly looked after it was still worth money when I sold it, they had to swap every 2 before unreliability and rust reduced their car to a worthless pile of junk. Eventually they accepted I was correct having seen what I was spending on buying and repairs and what they were spending on buying and repairs.

So I still say to the OP consider the Kia Picanto. With 7 years warranty and a reliable brand your costs should be zero except for the ones you cannot avoid and after 7 years still ahve a car worth something. In a few years time the Honda will be near worthless and need replacing.

But a nearly new Kia Picanto will be double or triple the OP's originally stated budget.

Not all middle-aged cars are money pits.

My wife had a mid-2000s VW Polo 1.2 64PS. She drove it for ten years and 75k with nothing other than routine work such as tyres and bulbs.

When it was about 10.5 years old we sold the car to our next door neighbour's daughter who had just passed her test (for £1500). She's had it for the last 3.5 years, taking it to almost 100k and hasn't had to spend much on it either. Last MoT had only an advisory for tyre tread depth.

That's not to say I'm a fan of VW Polos but it shows how simple cars can last well without needing much spending on them.

Currently in Vauxhall's small town car (Viva) the wife and I have clocked up about 60k with no issues. It's another simple car. Believe it or not, Vauxhall are regularly among the most reliable manufacturers in recent years.

Edited by Pinstripe on 18/11/2019 at 18:05

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - badbusdriver

I sometimes despair at the advice given on here.

So do i, such as this,

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - SLO76
“ I sometimes despair at the advice given on here. The OP wants a reliable car and presumably one that will last for several years. That Honda is coming up 7 years old and whilst the brand has a good reputation any 7 year old car can soon become a money pit.”

The best bet purely for reliability would be a new or nearly new car under a long warranty but the budget doesn’t fit. For value and reliability a personal loan an a simple and very reliable petrol supermini makes the most sense. After 3-4yrs it’s still worth something while a new car on a PCP will be gone and the OP facing having to find another deposit. But then who am I to say, I only spent two decades or so selling these things and to date I’ve never had a major failure on a Honda, be it 5yr old Jazz or the 18yr old Civic my brother in law bought off me that does a daily 80 mile commute. A 13 plate Jazz will almost certainly give years of utterly reliable service.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/11/2019 at 22:59

Any / any - Looking for a car but I’m lost please help b - Avant

You need to shop around and see what you can get within your budget.

There are plenty of good ideas in the posts above: personally in your position I'd go for the newest I could afford in any of these (all petrol):

Toyota Yaris 1.3

Honda Jazz

Mazda 2

Ford Fiesta 1.25

The new Dacia Sandero sounds tempting, but it sounds as if you don't have the deposit unless they do a scrappage scheme, which I don't think they do.

Back again what’s your opinion on this !
Approved used Hyundai I10
No deposit 0% 5 years
30,000 miles petrol 2017 plate 1.0 litre
£108 a month over 5 years ?
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your help

Does it have aircon? It's useful for demisting in winter (with blowers set to hot) in addition to its usual use for cooling in summer.

The Hyundai i10 is one of the larger A-segment/town cars - noticeably bigger than a VW Up -so make sure you're happy with the 1-litre engine's ability to pick up speed when joining fast busy motorways, or to keep up with traffic on 50-70mph roads (otherwise you will have angry white van men aggressively tailgating you - they like to bully 'weak' small cars unless you drive it with vigour and confidence).

Around town the engine will not have any problems keeping up with traffic.

Back again what’s your opinion on this ! Approved used Hyundai I10 No deposit 0% 5 years 30,000 miles petrol 2017 plate 1.0 litre £108 a month over 5 years ? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your help

Well its better than an almost 7 year old Jazz that will at best have a worthless dealer warranty. But its still the best part of 3 years old and that means only 2 years Hyundai warranty left and that only applies if the car has been meticulously serviced to Hyundai's requirements.

After 5 years you will have paid £6480 for the car which will then be 8 years old and possibly have been costing you money in repairs for the last 3 years, all 5 yuears if the warranty conditions have not been met.

The best bet purely for reliability would be a new or nearly new car under a long warranty

Thanks for agreeing with me SLO.

So I have looked again at the Kia Picanto and there is actually a better way of buying one than the PCP. Kia are currently doing a £2000 scrapage scheme and providing your Corsa has a current MOT that means a brand new Picanto will cost you £8000. According to this forum low cost finance is available from banks etc for about 3% interest, no idea if its true, not had a loan since the 80's and then the best interest rates were about 5%. So if you could get such a loan and pay it back over 5 years you would be paying back approx £145 a month. After 5 years the car would still be under warranty (if you service it correctly) and will have cost you nothing in repairs (providing you have serviced it correctly).

I agree that 100% reliability cannot be totally assured but its a better bet as SLO said above with a new car.