SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - geek84

Hi Folks

I have had a reminder from my local dealer that the car brake fluid needs changing. They claim that the fluid needs to be changed every 2 years.

However, when I am driving, the foot and hand brake seem to be fine.

Do you think the fluid does really need changing or is it a money making exercise?

Thanks

SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - elekie&a/c doctor
Brake fluid does not deteriorate in 2 years to make it dangerous. This is a good earner for the dealer . Buy a fluid tester for around £10 and check it yourself.
SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - oldroverboy.
Brake fluid does not deteriorate in 2 years to make it dangerous. This is a good earner for the dealer . Buy a fluid tester for around £10 and check it yourself.

It may well be a good earner for the dealer, but check if your cars warranty is affected if not done..

SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - Manatee

Have you got a service agreement? I only ask because we had one on our Roomster.

When I booked the third annual service, they told me it would need the brake fluid changing at extra cost. I said there was a service agreement. The conversation went something like this -

Me: Is it in the service schedule?

Them: It's recommended.

Me: Is it recommended in the service schedule?

Them: Yes but it's optional.

Me: Well I'll opt for it then, but I won't pay extra because the Ts&Cs of the service agreement say it covers all items in the service schedule with exceptions that do not mention the brake fluid change.

Them: Ok we won't charge you (after supposedly consulting some higher authority).

SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - Andrew-T

As has been said, if the car is within warranty it may be worth doing, but in absolute terms it is unlikely that the fluid 'needs' to be changed. If the car is older, a full brake service may be equally worthwhile to keep everything in good order.

SEAT IBIZA MK 4 - SEAT IBIZA MK4 - Brake fluid needs changing? - daveyjp

On the majority of modern cars "brake fluid" is now a misnomer as it serves more than just the brake circuits. Hydraulic fluid change would be more accurate.