car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - logger

Thought I would give you a laugh..

My current old estate is on its last legs so will be off the road in 2 weeks( Bought for £300 2 years ago, never let me down so cant complain )

I am a carer so need a reliable cheap car but have a VERY limited budget ideally less than £1000 but if I have to could push to £1500 ( have a very good local mechanic )

I will only do £3k miles a year with car so probably not need a diesel and dont need a big car anymore , not worried about tax really or insurance at my age

I wanted something that just was a bit different thats all and really at least a 1.2 engine...

Got this as my shortlist is no particular order

Hatches/Saloons

Mazda3 1.6

Peugeot 206

Mercedes C CLASS

Vauxhall Astra

Renault Clio

Vauxhall Tigra

Lexus IS 200

Sports

BMW Z3

MX-5

Small 4x4's

Toyota RAV4

Suzuki Jimny

Please not too many hilarious digs...although I do understand I'm going to get a lot of negatives

Thanks

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - badbusdriver

You want something 'a bit different', but you have on your list, Peugeot 206, Vauxhall Astra and Renault Clio. How would you consider them different?!.

Seriously though, at that price point, there are certainly bargains to be had, the problem is finding them. You don't really want, or need to be making a list, just go on Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree or whatever, and look at what you have locally as there is no point in travelling hundreds of miles to see a £1k car. Look online to see the MOT history of any given car, this will give an indication of how well or otherwise a car has been looked after. And, ideally, you want to be buying from a private seller, someone who has owned the car for a number of years. Meeting the owner, seeing the house, getting a feel for the person, that will also give you some indication on how the car will have been treated.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Ethan Edwards

I would have thought that whatever you end up with at this price point its condition that counts rather than badge / model.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - elekie&a/c doctor
Have a word with your cheap reliable mechanic . For less than a grand , you need to be looking at something like a Focus 1.6 petrol or a similar Astra .
car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - nellyjak

Given your budget, condition is everything...and the one I'd probably choose isn't even on your list.......ie...Toyota Yaris.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - OceanMan

You want something 'a bit different', but you have on your list, Peugeot 206, Vauxhall Astra and Renault Clio. How would you consider them different?!.

Seriously though, at that price point, there are certainly bargains to be had, the problem is finding them. You don't really want, or need to be making a list, just go on Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree or whatever, and look at what you have locally as there is no point in travelling hundreds of miles to see a £1k car. Look online to see the MOT history of any given car, this will give an indication of how well or otherwise a car has been looked after. And, ideally, you want to be buying from a private seller, someone who has owned the car for a number of years. Meeting the owner, seeing the house, getting a feel for the person, that will also give you some indication on how the car will have been treated.

How can you tell how well a car's been treated by looking at someone and their house? Seems like snobbery really

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Engineer Andy

How can you tell how well a car's been treated by looking at someone and their house? Seems like snobbery really

If they treat their house like carp, then it's likely they treat their car like that as well. Also, a person who keeps copius records of every service and maintenance item for their car in a nice folder (and in date order) is more likely to look after their car well. Not always the case, but I suspect far more often than not.

Similarly for someone who is honest about their car and reports problems it had, especially if they were fixed and they have records of the work being done by a main dealership or a well-regarded independent garage.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - brettmick

To get the best car for your money at that price you want something unfashionable but not obscure. Unfashionable as it will be cheap and not be snapped up by others, not obscure as otherwise parts and insurance become expensive. Perhaps something grandad like a Nissan Almera, Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla.

The MX5 and Z3 won't show any bargains, although will be cheaper this time of year. The RAV4 is perhaps too fashionable (as an SUV) to be cheap. A Merc and Lexus is an expensive car with expensive parts that will be an old car with expensive parts. You could buy the Lexus and just scrap it with the first major failure however, people do that and run them for five plus years due to their inherent reliability. I like the Mazda but watch out for rust, ditto the Tigra. The others are all options if you are patient enough to find a good one - which is key. If you have to make a forced purchase it will end up being the first thing that comes along.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Ian D
I had this a few months ago, needed a sub £2k car for a relative. Went into autotrader and gumtree and set the filters to max £2k and private sales only and sorted the results by distance, soon found a 06 reg 1.8 Civic with 80000 miles and full Honda history, bought for under £1600. I hate traders at this sort of price range and if you are confident in your abilities or can take a competent friend there are good cars out there. So my advice is go private, look for full histories and don’t narrow the search down too much, condition is everything.
car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - SLO76
Where roughly do you live? I’ll take a wee look at what’s for sale local to you and post a few worthy of a look. It’s wise at this money to keep the net as wide open as possible and your low mileage and no fear of insurance or tax costs are all a bonus here.

As for that list, well there are a few good options on it but I’d bin most of them especially the Merc, BMW and 206. None are reliable at this money but I’d add a few others including Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Volvo S40, Ford Puma, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla and Avensis.

For pure fun per pound it’s hard to beat a Mazda MX5 and £1,500 is enough to get a reasonable Mk II. The Ford Puma is an absolute scream to drive too and is currently heading up in value so if you can locate a solid car that’s not done a huge mileage you could see zero cost motoring with it actually appreciating. They’re both very reliable and parts are easy to get (aside from body panels on the Puma) but both rot like it’s the 1970’s again so you need to take care when buying.

Live near Sandbach in Cheshire..

I guess I am after the impossible ...a cheap car that doesn't look too old or cheap !

thanks

Different but cheap. Good robust engine and quite good fun to drive but that electric hardtop can be trouble. Worth a look if it’s a genuine private sale and had a longterm owner. The Mot history is good too. But as said budget for trouble with that roof.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2006-56-reg...l

Getting crusty around the rear arches but if solid underneath it could be worth fixing. Zero depreciation if you keep it rust free and a joy to drive. Look for rust, rust and more rust. Check windows go up and down as regulators fail and look for tears in the roof.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mazda-mx-5-...l

Very robust and practical little cars these.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-civic...l
car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Engineer Andy

Why are you NOT worried about tax and insurance when you can only afford a car costing £1k or so on a low annual mileage? They would make up a much larger percentage of your annual spend, especially for cars that were expensive to buy when new or are from 'premium' (luxury/sports) brands.

Parts are expensive, insurance higher, CO2 figures and thus VED is higher - don't forget ONLY late model cars only pay the £0 - £145 - older ones, like my 2005-build Mazda3 1.6 petrol cost around £230pa to tax; a Mercedes or BMW would be similar or sometimes a LOT worse (for performance models) and likely to attract a large insurance premium. A Jimny can rust and is heavy on fuel compared to similar sized cars.

At least my car (other than the VED) is relatively cheap to run. Older RAV4s are long in the tooth and whilst decent at the time, are showing their age and are I'm told very easy to steal (especially the spare tyre on th back door).

If I were you, if you just need A to B transport and can get by with a smaller car, then do so, at most of the Focus sized car. I'd stick to basic models of ones like the Ford Fiesta, Focus, Mazda 2 or 3, Jazz (if you can find a good one for that price) and so on. Less to go wrong, still decent to drive, cheap to run, lots of parts around, reliable.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - madf

Why are you NOT worried about tax and insurance when you can only afford a car costing £1k or so on a low annual mileage? They would make up a much larger percentage of your annual spend, especially for cars that were expensive to buy when new or are from 'premium' (luxury/sports) brands.

Parts are expensive, insurance higher, CO2 figures and thus VED is higher - don't forget ONLY late model cars only pay the £0 - £145 - older ones, like my 2005-build Mazda3 1.6 petrol cost around £230pa to tax; a Mercedes or BMW would be similar or sometimes a LOT worse (for performance models) and likely to attract a large insurance premium. A Jimny can rust and is heavy on fuel compared to similar sized cars.

At least my car (other than the VED) is relatively cheap to run. Older RAV4s are long in the tooth and whilst decent at the time, are showing their age and are I'm told very easy to steal (especially the spare tyre on th back door).

If I were you, if you just need A to B transport and can get by with a smaller car, then do so, at most of the Focus sized car. I'd stick to basic models of ones like the Ford Fiesta, Focus, Mazda 2 or 3, Jazz (if you can find a good one for that price) and so on. Less to go wrong, still decent to drive, cheap to run, lots of parts around, reliable.

Friend of ours has a 10-12 year old RAV4-- lives out end of a rough track. Done 80k miles... BIG bills £100s last year for new clutch.

Thanks to everyone so far

List is getting both longer and shorter at the same time !

Cheapies

Focus 1.6

Astra 1.6

Toyota Yaris

Suzuki Jimny

Oldies

Nissan Almera

Honda Civic

Honda Accord

Toyota Corolla

Volvo S40

Ford Puma

Avensis

Bargain Unlikely

MX5

Z3

Rusties/Unreliable ?

Merc

Tigra

Rav 4 ?

Expensive to run but Reliable

Lexus

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Big John

Don't ignore the Nissan Note - lot's of car for your money and in your price range you'll be earlier than 2013 (ie before Renault involvement!) so they are mega reliable especially with the petrol engines.

They are a smaller car but have great interior space.

A friend of mine had three in a row and another has had (and still has) a 2007 for many years and it has been a fantastic car.

On ANY car in your budget DO NOT BUT A DIESEL! They will be well past it and are expensive to fix (ie more than the car is worth).

Edited by Big John on 16/11/2019 at 19:03

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Andrew-T

expensive to fix (ie more than the car is worth).

I am tired of seeing/hearing this misleading mantra. It's a simple-minded formula which is fairly easy to calculate, but not based on logic. What matters to cash-poor owners is what it will cost to resume driving. It is usually possible to fix a cheap car for less than throwing it away and finding another - not always, but usually. And after a car has been fixed it may well be 'worth' more than before.

As with any change of vehicle, it is the Cost to Change that counts. Plus the consideration that you 'know' the car you have, but not its replacement.

Couple of points, first, as has already been mentioned, there is absolutely no point tying yourself in knots with lists. Just look online, find out what there is nearby and go for a look. Seperating your list into even more 'categories' is even less helpful, especially with things like rust, which is likely, or at least possible on any of them. If a car has had any sort of bodywork done, from a parking ding to an insurance write off, the bodywork will be much more susceptible to rust. I'm also completely baffled by you making a 'cheapies' category when your max budget is £1500, surely they are all cheapies?. The main thing though is that this price, the condition is much far important than what the make/model of car (within reason) so concentrate on that.

Secondly, the Suzuki Jimny is very much a cult car and as such, while it is possible to buy under £1.5k (currently one available nationwide on Autotrader) it is likely to be in poor condition.

I've seen a nice Yaris 1.3 VVT-I only 90k miles , FSH, 12months MOT £1000

Is this a fairly reliable car for a year or so ?

cheers

cheers

Yes, but do check its MOT for advisories, and check the MOT history online for the same advisories being there the previous year. Also, give the car a good look over (and under) for rust, accident damage, etc.

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - nellyjak

cheers

IMO..very much so...but there are always risks and exceptions with any car.

Do your checks ...caveat emptor.!

cheers

Very reliable little cars if looked after but at this money it could be a heap so check it carefully. Doesn’t exactly fit the fun profile but one of the more sensible options.
car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - Big John

The 1.3 VVTi is generally a reliable engine - one of the things it can throw up is an engine management light where you end up changing catalyst oxygen sensors / wiring looms etc - where the fault is actually the EGR valve which get sooted up after a few years/miles. It's a broad spectrum sensor so doesn't throw up an EGR code per say. Easy fix though once sussed. Other than that it's a great engine but service history is all - missed/long oil changes not good for a cam chain / VVT.

Despite the mention above I still stand by my comments re avoiding diesels. Anything common rail is expensive to sort. I speak from experience trying to help someone with a Mondeo diesel - the high-pressure fuel pump had started to fail sending metal filings towards the injectors. The first fault you see is a failed injector, which you change and another fails etc... The only way to fix fully is to replace the high pressure pump and everything downstream including the high-pressure pipes and injectors. Total cost was way more than his car was worth.

The exception might be a VAG 1.9 pd unit injector diesel - generally very reliable indeed although you can have injector wiring loom issues (this sits in oil and has a hard life) - easy cheap fix though. The tandem pump can fail (not like common rail though so easy-ish fix) and there are a couple of later versions that have been known to throw a con-rod.

Whatever though with any car at this price point – condition is all as one singe repair job could be more than the car is worth.

Good luck

car under £1000 / £1500 Thought I would give you a - madf

If buying an old Yaris watch out for rust:

rear sills - front of wheels. , rear of wheels. Rear coil springs.

Pertrol filler pipe from filler cap to tak. Collects mud and rits through near filler cap.. Check for petrol smells near there. New one is c£100+ fitting..

Rear suspension bushes trailing arms crack.

Front drop lick bushes wear - £15 each side pattern parts but don't last. £25 for Toyota..

Timing chain and tensioners wear if no oil changes.. Worn chains rattle on start up.. £200+ parts plus labour not cheap..