Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - oldroverboy.

Well done.

from Which magazine.

Which? claimed there was an 'exhaustive list of problems', covering everything from the built-in sat nav, connectivity to the infotainment system, dashboard displays going haywire and the on-board computer software having glitches.

Away from onboard electronic gremlins, owners of Range Rover Sports up to three years old also reported plenty of suspension issues - which tend to be very pricey in big SUVs - and recurring woes with parking sensors and reversing cameras.

The likelihood of breaking down was also cause for concern.

More than one in ten (11 per cent) of owners had to call out a recovery service at least once in the year before the survey was completed.

That's four times the average for all vehicles, described by experts at the consumer group as 'pretty shocking for such a new car'.

And the Range Rover Sport wasn't the only problem child for the British vehicle manufacturer.

The smaller Land Rover Discovery Sport - which costs from £31,575 - has also been causing problems for those who've bought them.

More than half of the owners who completed Which?'s survey said their car had suffered at least one fault in the last 12 months.

These problems weren't minor niggles either.

Some 7 per cent had issues with the engine management system, which can be a serious - and pricey - fault to fix.

It seems these issues took some time to repair, too, with owners typically being left without their car for five whole days while Land Rover mechanics attempted to fix the issues.

Some didn't even make it to their local dealer for repairs, according to keepers.

Around 4 per cent of Land Rover Discovery Sports broke down on the way to the garage.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - elekie&a/c doctor
Not really surprised. A friend works at a LR main dealer and tells me the cars are being fixed as they drive off the delivery truck.
Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - Metropolis.
I understand the inconvenience and awful feeling of losing faith in a vehicle, but why the reference to cost? The cars mentioned are all in warranty at under 3 years old.
Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - oldroverboy.
I understand the inconvenience and awful feeling of losing faith in a vehicle, but why the reference to cost? The cars mentioned are all in warranty at under 3 years old.

It's about Perception

Our £ choose your figure £65000 and more cars are better quality than cheaper ones.

My soon to be 1 year owned dec 2017 chinese Mg Zs suv has had a couple of niggles, but it has never (touch wood now I have said it) broke down. and 5 times cheaper too,

Dealer response has been no quibble fixit sir!

But the JLR mindset hasn;t changed since BL days when the "quality control" was the customer!

In Switzerland the cars were thoroughly checked by the dealers Before being sold.

My memory says it was called "Swiss finish" and Emil Frey, the importer was pretty good at it too!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/11/2019 at 19:02

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - Metropolis.
That’s very interesting regarding the Swiss Finish, my own Land Rover is a Japanese import, and i had heard that even before export, Land Rover had extra quality control due to the more discerning customers in Japan. I wonder if Japanese dealers (mine was sold new in Tokyo) also did something similar to the Swiss?
That’s very interesting regarding the Swiss Finish, my own Land Rover is a Japanese import, and i had heard that even before export, Land Rover had extra quality control due to the more discerning customers in Japan. I wonder if Japanese dealers (mine was sold new in Tokyo) also did something similar to the Swiss?

I remember that dealer margins were a lot higher too, and for parts as well.

In the 80's and 90's usual staff discount on cars was 21-23% and the last car i bought in 2003 I got at about 50% of uk retail just as i was leaving. Mgrover were pulling out of the swiss market and it was a low spec model.

I also remember Lotus rejecting about half the french gearboxes they imported for one of the models.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/11/2019 at 19:53

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - galileo

Many years ago the Lada importer was based near Bridlington: they had a substantial workshop and staff of mechanics who did extensive checks and repairs before cars were shipped to dealers.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - Leif

Once out of warranty repairs could cost a fortune. Also, even within warranty there is the inconvenience. Breaking down in the sticks, waiting an hour for the AA van etc is not good.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - daveyjp

I've had a Jaguar under warranty. It doesn't really help when you are going uphill, about to overtake a HGV during rush hour and it goes into limp mode on a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder. Half a day's leave to call breakdown and get to dealership. Then having to pick it up following the repair - more time I won't get back.

I'd rather a shorter warranty I never use, than a 3 year warranty I need to use every few weeks.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - barney100

Don't 2nd hand models have 3 years warranty? my daughter has had one for a while now and it's been fine.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - is the least reliable car to buy for the 2nd year - Falkirk Bairn

I have 2 sons that bought Discoveries - son 1 sold his after 9 months - lots of problems - AC completely replaced, trim falling off, Electrical issues abounded & never cleared up.

Son 2 still has his Discovery, electrical gremlins abound, tow bar stuck 1/2 way in/out & ruined holiday week. It's just back from an top end engine problem. He likes the car but not the local dealer or the reliability.

Son 1 bought a replacement X5 6 months ago -100% no issues - the Discovery spoiler on rear window fell off going back home from picking up the new car

Don't 2nd hand models have 3 years warranty? my daughter has had one for a while now and it's been fine.

Dealer approved jaguars and Land and rangerovers benefit from a minimum 1 years warranty i

EVERY APPROVED LAND ROVER INCLUDES:

- A one-year unlimited mileage Land Rover Approved warranty
- 12 months of 24/7 roadside assistance, exactly as a new Land Rover would receive as standard
- Rigorous testing: a Multi-Point inspection that covers 165 mechanical, electrical and safety checks
- Reconditioned by Land Rover Trained Technicians using the latest Land Rover technology and Genuine Land Rover parts
- A certified mile/km check, plus we make sure the service history is fully up-to-date
- A road test by one of our Land Rover Trained Technicians
- A professional, expert trade-in service

But I expect that most of the "bugs" will have been ironed out by then.

Still wouldn't have one, even for free.