Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - up north

I recently bought a 2016 Mazda 2 with 20k from a dealer and noticed what can only be described as a loud noise like a wind tunnel. Sitting in the drivers seat it appears to come from the rear, possibly n/s. The noise increases with road speed and noticed at around 40mph and particularly constant at 60mph. It isn't the same as tyre or road noise.

The dealer told me to take it to Mazda for a second opinion and the tech said he had never heard a noise like it in 20 years at Mazda and first thought -wheel bearing; then said it sounded like wind noise through a missing grommet after checking what the selling dealer had said. When I got the car back 'fixed' they said it was a grommet in the rear light, but soon as I drove it the noise was still there.

The car has the typical 3 month warranty, and of course wind noise isn't something to reject a car after 3 attempts to sort it out, that is of course if it is wind noise.

Mazda said it didn't look like there had been accident damage or paintwork. I drove their courtesy car and no similar noise. They said my car sounded like driving with the rear window open and they tried taping panels and gaps, but the fact they said it was fixed when obviously not, means a lack of confidence in taking it back again.

Any suggestions to where I stand. The noise isn't normal or like any wind noise I have heard even in old cars. Wheels don't seem to have any play, so a mystery so far!

Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - up north

Also 2 n/s shocks needed replacing as leaking after their mot, as checked when I got the car, so we all know how easily they miss things!

Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - bathtub tom

I had that sort of problem and it turned out to be the window behind the 'C' pillar was flapping around in the breeze. Subsequent investigation showed a very well repaired accident in that area. I hadn't noticed it when I bought the car and assumed the window had been removed and not properly replaced.

Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - Bolt

I have known bonded screens to make a noise where the bonding has an air bubble from inside to outside making a hole in the bonding, doesn't often occur but has been known.

if its proved, it means rebonding the screen/window

it can sound like a mini hurricane from the drivers seat

Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - Engineer Andy

I have known bonded screens to make a noise where the bonding has an air bubble from inside to outside making a hole in the bonding, doesn't often occur but has been known.

Sort of like strong winds blow throw a collection of small pipes, 10x louder than a musical instrument.

Mazda 2 - Wind tunnel noise - Bolt

Sort of like strong winds blow throw a collection of small pipes, 10x louder than a musical instrument.

Its very annoying if it is that, also its very difficult to track down the leak, needs a second person in the car to listen for it and trace it.

if, assuming that is the problem?