**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - GuvnØr

Hi all,

I've just signed up to the forums and looking for some advice from you all, I have 10k to spend on a car and I'm not sure what i want.

So i do a round trip Monday to Friday 50 miles per day with a lot of traffic coming home.

I have had a look at a couple of cars I think I would like and still can't decide.

Audi A3 S Line 15 plate auto

Golf GTD 15 plate auto

Here below are things that would be a must for me.

I must have automatic and if its diesel needs to be a euro 6 as i work in that there London, nice to drive and comfortable to be in with all gadgets like DAB, air con, sat nav and 5 doors, that's why as you can see I've look at S Line and GTD.

What do you guys think about the cars above I mean for me the Audi didn't even have parking sensors on a 15 plate s line.....

I welcome any advice you guys can give me to help me choose my next car!

Thanks in advance......

Guv

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Zippy123

You will see in HJ's comments on this site that there have been lots of problems with VW's (incl Audi's) DCT automatic gearboxes.

Think about Honda Civics and Hyundai i30 and equivalent Kia Ceed may be better bets long term, if not so trendy.

Edited by Zippy123 on 30/10/2019 at 19:49

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - badbusdriver

As Zippy says, dual clutch auto's like what any VAG car will have, are probably best avoided. Id also be inclined to avoid that type of gearbox on any other car too, with the possible exeption of something like a Kia Ceed. The reason for this is that your £10k budget would stretch to a 2016/17 turbo diesel auto, which would have as much as 4 years warranty remaining (make sure you buy from a Kia dealer). No idea if that is euro 6 though.

Thinking of petrol options, n/a should probably include the Civic but another possibility is a turbo petrol Astra. These are, i believe, very reliable and have a t/c auto. The 1.4t has 150bhp, so decent performance, decent economy, well equipped (don't know about DAB). Also, there does seem to be bargains about, looked on Autotrader and found this low miles 2018 1.4t SRi just inside your budget,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190919240...1

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - SLO76
Wouldn’t touch either of them with an auto box, they’re pretty notorious for failures which does kinda complicate your search somewhat.

If it must be a diesel auto then I’d avoid any of the current crop of automated manuals such as VAG’s DSG or Ford’s Powershift and instead I’d look for something with a more reliable transmission such as Mazda torque converter box, a Toyota Hybrid or CVT or possibly BMW or Mercedes which both use robust conventional gearboxes but the BMW’s are weak elsewhere as they age.

Thanks for the great advice so far, I didn't realise the auto DSG boxes are that bad.

I had a BMW 530d auto 59 plate before, so maybe look at merc or BMW, what model would you guys recommend?

Edited by GuvnØr on 30/10/2019 at 22:39

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Big John

I'd avoid any sporty versions of anything as you'll quickly tire of the harder ride with 50 miles a day (well I did at over 60 miles a day!) .

The other thing to consider (ignoring usual fuel consumption) is the cost and life of tyres. My high profile16" 205 55 tyres on my Superb are lasting way way longer(over 35k miles) than the much lower profile 18" version (12k miles ish) and cost way less than half the price.

If you have lots of traffic and being in London have you considered a hybrid which use very little fuel indeed in traffic and brakes last much longer due to regenerative braking - probably a bit boring though!

Be careful investing in a diesel as well - it was in the press today that Bristol will be the first city to ban diesel cars at certain times

Edited by Big John on 30/10/2019 at 23:40

So I know I don't need a hybrid as when I say traffic it's on a busy A road and it's just traffic build up on the way home.

The reason I want auto again is like I said I had BMW 530d and it was a joy to drive to work even if I hit traffic.

In the mornings I can do 70mph and be at work in about 40 mins so a car I can cruise in with comfort, I don't really get under 30mph as my place of work is just off the A road.

As you can imagine the traffic is when I'm coming of home out of Greenwich!

So reading the comments the Audi and Golf are not good ideas.

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Andrew-T

I have no real interest or input to this thread, but you seem to be attracted mainly to German cars and are trying to balance the demands of bling, reliability and a £10K budget. I wouldn't want to try that myself.

The car I have owned the longest before the BMW was a Subaru for 12 years so not really, I'm open to anyone's opinion.

Just asking for some advice as I just can't seem to make my mind up and with the previous post it's has moved me away from DSG gearboxes so glad I've asked.the questions

Edited by GuvnØr on 31/10/2019 at 09:50

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Terry W

You need to decide on priorities:

• a "prestige" make (BMW, Merc etc) for £10k will probably be 6-8+ years old with 70-100k+ on the clock
  • alternatively an adequately specced 1-2 year old car with around 20k miles - eg Peugeot 308, Astra etc

The former will probably be a nicer drive, less reliable due to age and mileage - can you get to work when it won't start or needs fixing. 6+ year old diesels complex, petrol will drink fuel

The latter will perform entirely adequately - the normal spec on a mid range hatch today is not dissimilar to that on a premium marque 8-10 years ago. Tyres, servicing, fuel consumption etc will all be cheaper. Warranty for the first year or two and age related failures unlikely - eg: exhaust, battery, brake discs, steering and suspension bushes etc etc.

I know where my money would go - unless money were no object!

Hi Terry W,

I see you said Peugeot 308, how reliable are french cars as a few people have told me to stay away from them.

Peugeot 308, 208

Renault Clio

I do like the cars above, but auto reliable on them?

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Lee Power

Peugeot 308 Puretech 130 with the EAT auto gearbox would be well worth a test drive, you might be pleasantly surprised by the performance, economy & the comfort offered.

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Xileno

Not much between French and German cars in terms of reliability these days. French have improved and if anything the Germans have dropped a bit.

£10k would get you into a nice Megane MK4, three years old about 40K on the clock. Go for the 1.5 dCi, a very reliable engine that shames many other manufacturers' offerings. Rare to have DPF issues with this engine. Keep it well serviced with regular oil and filters and do not delay cambelt changes. I think 2016 onwards are Euro 6 but you need to check this.

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - badbusdriver

Not much between French and German cars in terms of reliability these days. French have improved and if anything the Germans have dropped a bit.

£10k would get you into a nice Megane MK4, three years old about 40K on the clock. Go for the 1.5 dCi, a very reliable engine that shames many other manufacturers' offerings. Rare to have DPF issues with this engine. Keep it well serviced with regular oil and filters and do not delay cambelt changes. I think 2016 onwards are Euro 6 but you need to check this.

This, as an auto, would have a DCT transmission, so best not.

Peugeot 308 Puretech 130 with the EAT auto gearbox would be well worth a test drive, you might be pleasantly surprised by the performance, economy & the comfort offered.

Is the EAT a tourque converter gearbox - I suspect the EAT 6 is? If so this should be more reliable

Edited by Big John on 31/10/2019 at 21:50

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

Edited by GuvnØr on 31/10/2019 at 22:16

**Advice, Next Car with 10k to spend** - Terry W

I actually have a 308 EAT auto with 8 speed box. Fairly recent purchase do can't comment on long term reliability.

However very pleasantly surprised:

- general build quality is good

- quiet, adequately fast with 130bhp Puretech engine

- gearbox is torque converter and very smooth (mostly undetectable) changes

- 50mpg+ on long trip driven with some restraint, about 40mpg around town

- most functions controlled via screen including sat-nav, DAB, climate control etc.

From Honest John site:-

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/114403/what-cars-are-the-best-for-a-torque-converter-automatic-

"Mazda has a 6-speed torque converter automatic while Peugeot/Citroen now fit EAT6 and EAT8 torque converter autos and they are excellent. BMW rear drive models and Mercedes rear drive models are all torque converter auto."

Saying that I myself would avoid a Mazda diesel - however the Skyactiv petrol is worth looking at

Re £10k? - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908291641798?

Edited by Avant on 31/10/2019 at 23:53

So reading this I should really go test drive a 308..........