Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - Poorly Mazda CX5

I purchased a CX5 in July 2018 with 103k on the clock. 3 months later, following a recall, I was told that the turbo had gone. Mazda paid 80% of the cost, and my warranty the other 20%. Phew as the total was £4000.

On a recall 4 weeks ago the same Mazda dealership told me that a cooland leak has resulted in damaging the cylinder head and will cost around £1500 to fix.

The garage had serviced the car in January.

I have researched and this is a know issue and the vehicle has been recalled in other countries for this issue, but I don't think here. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2019/04/17/2003713534

Any comments please, engines are not my think, but the garage has had the car for 4 weeks now and no progress.

Thanks

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - edlithgow

Well, one doesn't expect technical coherence from the Taipei Times OR ROC gov, and one doesn't get it, but it looks as if they blow head gaskets if asked to go up hills, possibly when "lugging" the engine, (which is running it under load at low revs in too high a gear,)

If lugging is a factor (can't remember where I saw that) it is almost certainly a control system problem here in Taiwan, rather than operator error, since I'd be very surprised if there are any manual transmissions in use here.

Dunno why "auxilliary radiator", but perhaps the head gasket blows into an oil-cooling circuit.

Looks like they aren't getting away with it in Taiwan, anyway, though the CX-5 has been taken off the market here to reduce thier exposure.. Problems also reported in Australia and Thailand so perhaps climate is a contributor.

www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123866758-B...2

They seem to have had a range of problems, some associated with questionable design.

www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/mazda-water-pump-l...l

Apparently a water pump inside the engine???

www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/mazda3-mazda6-and-...l

Rocker arm clouts things during cylinder deactivation transitions

Too much technology, not enough quality.

Edited by edlithgow on 22/10/2019 at 09:22

Thanks for the response; useful info

Thanks for the response; useful info

Well not really, I'm afraid.

I've posted about it on the local forum. This used to have some technically aware people on it but its mostly unfunny comedians now, so I doubt any useful info will result.

Well, the garage has come back saying it will cost £4,500 for a new cylinder head and associated parts. Mazda has refused to contribute so any suggestions for words to Mazda from myself requesting they contribute would be great.

Thus far this car has required £8,500 spending on its engine .. I only paid £10,500 18 months ago!

I'd say trawl the internyet for details on the generic faults with this engine, which has resulted in this car's withdrawal from the Taiwan market. Mazda probably couldn't be further embarrassed here, and it isn't really required since they are now subject to government punitive action, but that doesn't apply in the UK.

Mazda user forums are one source where its reported in some detail.(I link to one above but there are others) Post queries on these.

Threaten to, and then seek maximumum publicity. If you havn't written to HJ's agony column, do so, and contact other consumer protection media

I THINK there's some sort of consumer protection ombudsman in the UK but dunno how that works, if it does.

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - Peter Wicks

Same here. 2014 CX5. Diagnosed as Cylinder head failure. I'm stuck in France on a tour with caravan. Mazda UK have washed their hands of this known issue. Had to get car repatriated at my cost to the UK (LV breakdown would not repatriate as I have an open Eurotunnel ticket) Now have a bill of £6000 for a reconditioned engine + Injectors. Believe it is to do with oil dilution and overheating because of this. Of course the warning system on the CX5 doesn't warn you until it's too late. Poor design and Mazda know it. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of us in the same boat. Never buying Mazda again!

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - David Mvula

Hi

What was the final result with your Mazda Cylinder/ Head Gasket issues

My garage tells me this is a design issue meaning all the 2012-16 engines run the risk of EGR faults causing issues with head gaskets and cylinder heads

My car has the same issue Mazda dont want to know

I want to go back to them with receipts and more drivers who have had this issue in the past

Together they will listen to us , alone they will reluctantly offer 25% contributions to jobs that range in the £3-5k range

Even if your car is fixed I think we need to approach them as consortium

Let me know what you think

PS My garage have 2 Mazdas including my own with the same issue and they are both under 7 years (just that 1 year after warranty)

Thanks

D

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - Peter Wicks

Hi we are having exactly the same problem, except our engine failed while in France. Mazda France said new cylinder head but I felt that wasn't addressing the issue of why it happened in the 1st place. Ours is a 2014 CX5 Skyactive 2.2D like you we paid £11,000 to an independent dealer and have ended up paying £8000 in total for a completely rebuilt engine by an independent garage. Mazda have washed their hands and deny issues with this engine when there are thousands of worldwide complaints with exactly the same symptoms. We are continuing our fight against Mazda. You are welcome to use my complaint with them, the more we can build a consensus against them the more likely they will help.

Peter Wicks

Hi

My garage tells me this is a design issue meaning all the 2012-16 engines run the risk of EGR faults causing issues with head gaskets and cylinder heads

I want to go back to them with receipts and more drivers who have had this issue in the past

Together they will listen to us , alone they will reluctantly offer 25% contributions to jobs that range in the £3-5k range

PS My garage have 2 Mazdas including my own with the same issue and they are both under 7 years (just that 1 year after warranty)

Thanks

D

Just to add, I THINK I've read somewhere of a software update being issued to address this problem, so you should probably attempt to confirm with your garage that any recommended updates have been applied, when/if you get your repaired engine back.(In Taiwan I understand they are replacing engines gratis).

A software fix is consistent with the hypothesis above that a control system problem allows excessive lugging of these engines under certain operating conditions.

However, it seems likely that there is also a hardware weakness, since I don't believe (could be wrong) you'd be able to blow the head gasket by deliberately lugging an old school (Y'know, the kind that actually works, still available cheaply second-hand) manual transmission.

OTOH maybe the "control excursion", if there is one, goes beyond simple lugging into, say, a Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) regime, or some other destructive new invention

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - Bolt

However, it seems likely that there is also a hardware weakness

I wonder if they are using an ecu controlled thermostat as I have heard that if the software is a problem ie temp gets too high, due to stat not opening far enough its causing the rad to crack.

I have read some engines are now using ecu controlled stats for greater engine efficiency, though not so sure it would work properly but again if the software is not up to scratch it wont??

I have asked the garage for further info on how this has happened but essentially they said they will never know, but they have not explained how they found the issue.

However Mazda have responded as below, and offered a contribution to the costs.

We note the request for information as to why cars have not been recalled in the UK for this issue when other markets have issued recall for what is assumed to be the same issue. We are not able to comment on other market recalls as other global markets will have different recalls owing to the countries legislation, circumstances and legal requirements. Some of their models are built in different production plants. Parts are often from a different source than those built in Japan for the European market and their engines can be different/ larger capacity with different components.

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - FP

"...Mazda have responded as below, and offered a contribution to the costs."

May we know what sort of contribution is being offered?

Hi

25% towards the cost

Hi

Thanks

D

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - John F

Same old story - unreliable Japanese engineering. Should've gone for solid British workmanship - the Triumph slant 4 in my TR7. Hasn't missed a beat in 40yrs. Merry Christmas everyone.....

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - madf

Same old story - unreliable Japanese engineering. Should've gone for solid British workmanship - the Triumph slant 4 in my TR7. Hasn't missed a beat in 40yrs. Merry Christmas everyone.....

Japanese cars are not molly coddled museum pieces which are over serviced and under used.. :-) :-)

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - brum

That's because you only fetch it out of your garage for a brief granny runs 3 or 4 times a year John.

I had the same basic engine AFAIK in my 1976 Saab 99 GLE, supposedly built by hand using a group of beautiful Swedish maidens (for those that can remember the magazine adverts back then). What a crock. Philips head screws that held the rocker cover down that unscrewed themselves constantly. Cylinder head that warped because of the stupid combination of bolts on one side and nuts on the other used to hold it down, rattly chains and tensioners and a crankshaft seal that leaked oil copiously. Together with the not so famously known rapid rotting Swedish bodywork, partly due to an appatent total lack of a lacquer coat that meant half the paint coming off when I polished it and lousy French duff alternator, one of the worst cars I have ever owned (on a par with the rotboxes of a fiat 131 and atriumph herald).

An engine the size and weight of a sherman tank, ridiculous size compared to todays modern engines.

Not so merry Christmas memories spent outside stripping that down and rebuilding in the winter rain and wind. Sold it for £50 to be shut of it in the end.

The only good thing was the 3 speed Borg Warner Autobox with torque converter.

Sorry for letting John F go off topic!!

Edited by brum on 26/12/2020 at 01:01

Mazda CX-5 - Coolant leak to cylinder head replacement - John F

That's because you only fetch it out of your garage for a brief granny runs 3 or 4 times a year John.

V sorry to hear of your Saab misfortune brum, perhaps by 1980 they were building them better, or perhaps I have just been lucky. But up till now it has been driven regularly at least every two weeks or so. I can't see the point of having a 'sports' car unless one occasionally drives it, er, enthusiastically. No mollycoddling on the road unless SWMBO is on board, which is rare, because she hates it.