Vauxall Zafira 1.6 2004 - timing belt on Zafira 1.6 2004 - zafira pj

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and hoping for some advice please

My wifes old vauxhall Zafira 1.6 2004 has been making a tapping noise for a few weeks now. car runs fine but is starting to sound like a diesel engine, RAC and mechanic whos long since retired both say the sound is coming from timing belt area of the engine and might be the pullys or bearings (i know ziltch about cars) lol

timing belt and water pump changed at 60k miles, her car has now done 100k so is due a change, (our old mechanic has moved to another area)I getting getting quotes ranging from £280-£480 just to change the timing belt kit and water pump.

some mechanics are quoting much more for the timing belt kit than others, i can find the kit online for between £70-£130 with water pump

what would be a reasonable quote? can i use any manufacturer timing belt kit? so long as its for my wife's car/engine

any idea what the tapping sound could be?

we have had the car since it was 2 years old and is a good run around so really want to keep it, just done 800 mile trip to Cornwall and it didn't miss a beat.

thanks in advance

Vauxall Zafira 1.6 2004 - timing belt on Zafira 1.6 2004 - John F

...Zafira 1.6 2004 has been making a tapping noise for a few weeks now. car runs fine but is starting to sound like a diesel engine........timing belt and water pump changed at 60k miles, her car has now done 100k so is due a change.....

No they're not. Belt/pump failure at 40,000 would be highly unlikely. Our 2000 Ford 1.6 Zetec's original belts and pump are still fine at 140,000k. Anyway, the symptoms of failure would be screeching or whining (bearings) or sudden catastrophic engine failure (belt snapping).

any idea what the tapping sound could be?

Yes, tappets. If you google 'Zafira tappets' you will find a fair amount of info. Is your oil too old and thick? I saw this rather surprising advice from a 'drive vauxhall' site, especially the bit that says it doesn't matter which grade.....!!

What engine oil should you buy for your 1.6 petrol Zafira?

It’s recommended that you purchase a fully synthetic engine oil for your Vauxhall Zafira. There are different oil grades out there, and these three are commonly used for your car: 0w30, 5w30, 5w40. It doesn’t really matter which one of these you go for, just ensure that it’s a fully synthetic oil blend.

..I would try changing the oil to any old synthetic 5w 30, (e.g.Wilco) or if you know definitely it already is a recent 5w30, try 0w30.

Edited by John F on 01/10/2019 at 19:41

Vauxall Zafira 1.6 2004 - timing belt on Zafira 1.6 2004 - zafira pj
Hi
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated
The oil for the car is 5w40 synthetic, oil change was done 2 months ago!
I’vve no knowledge about cars and gutted our local mechanic moved away
From reading forums other zafira owners with similar issue are saying
timing belt change and pulleys
exhaust manifold is cracked!!
Add Wynn’s additive to the oil
Hydronic lifters

Edited by zafira pj on 02/10/2019 at 00:48