Mazda 3 - Fuel economy worries - neilc75
Hello all
I’m currently looking at a 2017 Mazda 3 (petrol) what are they like on fuel ,I do 70 miles a day all A roads will it reach any where near 50mpg. I own a focus diesel at the moment which after its second mot is falling to bits leaking gearbox oil injector seals leaking the list goes on all this and it only don 45k.
The main reason I’m looking at Mazda is no turbo or dpf to concern myself about...but saying that are these gdi engines prone to carbon build up.
Thanks for reading.

Mazda 3 - Fuel economy worries - daveyjp

HJ real mpg figures suggest not. Mid 40s.

Jumping out the frying pan then springs to mind my old 2.0 petrol Passat used to do 44mpg and that was 15 years ago... back to the drawing board it is then. Really wanted to steer clear of another diesel

Edited by neilc75 on 29/09/2019 at 10:38

Mazda 3 - Fuel economy worries - badbusdriver

You don't really need to concern yourself with turbo's as they have been around for literally donkeys years. Yes, there seem to be issues with VAG's new 1.5TSI, but that's nowt to do with it being a turbo, its predecessor the 1.4TSI was, by all accounts, a brilliant engine. With its performance, reliability and economy, it was a case of having your cake and eating it!. So, my advice would be to look at a Golf or Leon with the 150PS 1.4TSI engine for whatever your budget is. As long as you avoid the DSG automated manual gearbox there should be nothing to worry about.

You haven't said what your budget is, but looking at Autotrader i see that 2017 Mazda 3's (>30k miles) range from around £10-15k, so i'll split the difference and say £12.5k budget?. That would get you into something like this,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190915225...1

or this,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190911209...1

both of which should manage to at least knock on the door of 50mpg and quite possibly exceed it.

Having said that, with your useage and assumed budget, i certainly wouldn't shy away from diesel. That same assumed budget, would get you into a current shape Honda Civic (if you could live with its looks!). The engine on these seems to be one of the least problematic of modern diesels with regards to emissions related equipment problems. In addition, it will do 65-70mpg if driven with a little restraint.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190826153...1

If you just can't live with those looks, here is a late previous model (from a Honda dealer) with the same engine,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190903181...3

Alternatively, how about this 2018 Kia Ceed with 5-6 years warranty remaining?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190306561...1

Thanks for the reply I’ve got to admit I’ve been looking at Honda civics readind up on them people do sing there praises.
Mazda 3 - Fuel economy worries - SLO76
These are great little family cars with entertaining handling, decent ride, good economy and an excellent reputation for reliability. The early GDi designs did suffer carbon build up problems but later designs use both direct and indirect injection to solve the problem so I doubt you’ll see any issues at all. I’ve sourced and recommended these to many people in recent years and not one has informed of any problems to date.

The most recent a family friend bought a 3 2.0 Skyactiv Sport on my recommendation and loves it. It averages mid to high 40’s to the gallon despite the unnecessary roof box she carries on top of it all the time so expect the lower output 2.0 models to be better and as you say there’s no fear of DPF or turbo problems as it ages.

That said you probably average around 20k P/A with a bit of personal mileage thrown in so another option springs to my mind. The Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC. These rarely go wrong and will do a genuine 65mpg plus on a run. I had this engine in a heavier CRV for 4yrs and it averaged 56mpg with over 60 possible on a run. It goes well and mechanical issues are very rare. It’s the car I’d have for a relatively long commute. Doesn’t drive as nicely as the Mazda but it’s very practical and the engine has much stronger low to midrange pull.
Ive got to admit I’m really taken by the Mazda it will be either Mazda or a1.4 seat leon 125ps
Mazda 3 - Fuel economy worries - Smileyman

I have the SEAT Toledo with 1.0 110 bhp 3 cylinder petrol engine, I drive about 75 miles a day for my commute, mixture of urban rural and fast dual carriageway motorway style driving, my recent fill ups have given me 49-51 mpg brim to brim (OBC shows a little higher). I am sure if I stuck to 60 mph (single carriageway A road limit) the mph would be better. Note in the winter the mpg is bound to be lower.

This engine is found in cars across the VW group including Skoda Rapid, VW Golf and Polo etc although sometimes at other power lower outputs. Will it last to 150k + miles - I don't know, but regular 9k mile oil changes will give a better chance than the long life oil option.