Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - SarahD

I’ve had my Toyota Starlet GLS ‘98 automatic for 16 years and she’s been an absolute trouper!

However, just out of the blue she started making a noise, what I originally described as sounding like a spoken dokey on a bike (remember those days!). Anyway in she went to my local mechanic, it’s been a month now and he just can’t figure out what/where the noise is coming from, he’s a pretty cautious mechanic and is reluctant to ‘throw parts’ at an ‘old car’.

So far he has:

- checked and greased the cv boots
- cleaned off the brakes and checked everything to do with those
- replaced the wheel bearing on the drivers side.
- drivers shaft has been removed and the car pushed - the noise is not present.

The noise which can be heard now quite loudly from outside the car sounds like a click or a dink. It is intermittent and not constant. It sounds as though it’s coming from the driver’s side although mechanic is now wondering if it’s the gearbox.

The noise is not present when the car is in neutral, when turning left or when it is on the lift making it difficult for mechanic to pinpoint where it’s coming from.

The noise is present when the car is idle in drive, when driving straight and when turning to the right.

Not sure if it’s worth noting that the day the noise started I was carrying an extremely heavy load in my car.

Has anyone any advice/experience on this? I would be very grateful for any responses.

Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit but wanted to give as much info as possible? and I really don’t want to sa?y goodbye to my car (it’s lasted a lot longer than anything else in my life)!?
Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - gordonbennet

Old school mechanic that, he's greased the CV joints, people tend to ignore the inner ones but they can chatter too, so confirm with him he's regreased all 4 joints.

Assuming this isn't a cure :-) we had a similar problem once on a friends Peugeot 305, when cornering the unmistakable rumble of a worn wheel bearing could be heard and you could feel the rubbing too, with wheels jacked up and spun nothing could be found as worn or rough.

We made the decision to change the OSF wheelbearing because left cornering heightened the noise/vibration, we assumed as weight transferred onto that wheel, however after changing it was no better, but the sound was still there, so no alternative to but to change the NS bearing...which when stripped revealed the inner race (so taking the weight also on left hand corners) was shot.

This was quite a learner for me, these transmission noises can be very difficult to trace unless they can be found by spinning the wheels with the car jacked up, cases like yours can be really difficult, it was much better in the old days with taper bearings, because they could be dismantled examined and re-used if good, sadly like so many things now these things are sealed and throwaway, even removing them often destroys them completely, often they are now part of the complete hub assembly & £££.

Somehow i doubt its the gearbox (have no doubt your old school mechanic has checked the fluid), i would expect its wheel or hub or driveshaft related, and due to it starting after the heavy load i'd also be looking at the back end too.

Just one other thought, is the final drive (differential) an integral part of the gearbox on these, or is that a separate unit with its own level checking?

He sounds like a gem of mechanic,not many left like that, keep him and pass on my kind regards and hope he doesn't think we're trying to teach grannies etc.

Good luck, keep that fine car going, if you do change it at some point get a Yaris, but keep away from the MMT box if you want an auto, even Toyota couldn't make those things durable.

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like classic cv joint clicking . Usually possible to swap the joints left to right and right to left , to see if the noise transfers. However it may be cheaper just to replace them one at a time . I doubt if they are very expensive.

That would be a great solution, but sadly my left and right drive shafts are different lengths.

I guess I'm just trying to work out cost in replacing parts over how much the car is now worth. I don't really want to replace both drive shafts to find out it is the gearbox and all this money placing the wrong parts could be going towards a new car. I was hoping someone may have heard this problem before and known instantly what it was.

Thanks for your response!

I'll try and check with him about whether he's greased all four joints. The driver's side wheelbearing has been replaced. However I've had a back wheel bearing replaced previously and the current sound is nothing like the sound that one was making.

The noise is a definite clicking, sounds like metal on metal (like when a zip is tapping the inside of a washing machine when it goes round). It was only doing it initially on a right turn or going round a roundabout, however over this past month with my mechanic saying it was ok to carry on driving it, the clicking has definitely gotten louder and can be heard now inside the car constantly whilst steering right and straight (still can't be heard on left turn).

I'm not sure about this line....

'Just one other thought, is the final drive (differential) an integral part of the gearbox on these, or is that a separate unit with its own level checking?'

I'd have to go back to the mechanic, however he appears to be ignoring me at the moment, hence me asking on here as I'm at a loss!

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - Andrew-T

If your noise occurs when turning right I would suspect the left-side driveshaft, not the right one - as that is the direction the car's weight is thrown. Your mileage is probably in six figures by now so the CV joints are likely worn. Just greasing them may not be a cure.

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - John F

Your story and the results from the expert examination do not suggest anything that is likely to result in suddenly either grinding to a halt or failing to restart - a rare mechanical (though not electrical) occurrence these days. Watchful waiting is probably necessary to allow the symptoms and signs to develop sufficiently in order for a diagnosis to be made. In the meantime, I would just live with the clicking until it becomes constant and loud.

That's the problem I now have, it's been a month and the clicking has now become constant and loud.....but he still doesn't know what it is!

Yes I'm thinking driveshaft, thanks for the advice on it being the left one, as it was the driver's side that he removed. I'm at just over 75,000 mileage :)

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - gordonbennet

Yes I'm thinking driveshaft, thanks for the advice on it being the left one, as it was the driver's side that he removed. I'm at just over 75,000 mileage :)

Removed you say, does that mean he only regreased that one driveshaft i wonder?

You do not need to remove driveshafts to regrease the joints on most cars, i use a long pencil like adaptor on the end of my grease gun, from which i can unclip the small end of the rubber boot prise open then slide the adaptor all the way through to the joint and pump grease in to my hearts content, if of interest its made by Sealey, 'needle nose grease dispenser' model no AK447...the small end is usually much easier to not only get at but also to reseal because the bulk of the grease is at the other end of the boot, you can do a better job by regreasing the joint itself at the main end but not always so easy to get when in situ, especially the inner joint.

I'm yet to replace a drive shaft on any of my cars, (except for when i snapped a MB rear shaft during a rather rapid take off, which examination proved to be a faulty casting probably from new), thanks to regreasing at a sensible mileage...JohnF would approve :-)...and i have shut all manner of clicks up, even if the CV couplings are worn if you pump grease in the clicking will change note for enough time to diagnose where the problem is, but as said before many people ignore the inner joints due to them not being steering joints but they still see a lot of angular movement over undulations so can run dry, plus they can see more heat from exhaust passing close by.

We replaced drive shafts on my sons CRV of the day once but this was to cure vibration, no noises at all.

Not sure on the Starlet but the longest of some unequal length front shafts are in two sections having a support bearing between the two halves, these generally give no trouble but worth looking at, and there's the remote possibility that the inner joint has pulled out of it's position in the gearbox output side, often held in place by a spring circlip fitted in a groove in the splines, so needs to be prised out of place to remove, but also won't go back in of its own accord if it has popped out and must be 'popped' back in place similarly...this is unlikely because chances are transmission oil would be leaking from that joint as the oil seal would not be running in the correct place on the inner coupling.

Has the other side been checked at all, and have the hub nuts on all wheels been checked as well as the most obvious of all, the wheelnuts all round.

The separate final drive i referred to...most FWD cars the differential is part of the whole gearbox, and i'm fairly sure this is the case on your car, but some designs have a separate housing for the diff, with its own oil filler and drain points, doubt it in on the Starlet.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/09/2019 at 14:38

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - blindspot

i'd check the brake disc back plates

Ah yes forgot to mention he's checked those!

Toyota Starlet - Transmission Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
It is not necessary to replace the driveshaft . Just the cv joint at the end . About £50 a side