Banning pavement parking proposal. - oldroverboy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49635176

This won't be feasible everywhere.

NO, It won't, but here in our little close, we have people parking 3500kg vans on the pavements, all collapsing, just had Anglian water in as a pipe a long way down under the pavement collapsed. Knocking down the Posts keeping them from parking on a bit of communal lawn....

People park willy nilly, when a few yards away they could park legally and safely in a wider road.

Moi, can't wait for it!

But councils HAVE to apply for the powers, (Colchester will) and they will have to enforce.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Graham567
We all have to park with one set of wheels on the pavement otherwise traffic cannot get past so good luck with that one.My road is quite a busy road but when the Council proposed resident parking they wanted the cars to park on the road.This was until someone pointed out that if we did that then fire engines etc wouldn't be able to get past.They scrapped the idea.......
Banning pavement parking proposal. - gordonbennet

Meanwhile in the real world outside of utopia, where is the land to be found to build enough road space to cope with the numbers of vehicles needing to be road parked without people having to use common sense parking methods instead, not counting the hundreds of thousands of terraced streets where the only way to fit the vehicles in at all is for one side or sometimes both sides to park partly on the pavement.

Just one other thing no one involved thought of when they decided we needed somewhere between 6 and 10 million more people living here, numbers increasing by the hour.

Can't wait till every vehicle parked has an electric cable plugged in, thankfully i won't be around to weep at what they did to the lovely free country i was fortunate enough to be born into and grew up in.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - alan1302

Just one other thing no one involved thought of when they decided we needed somewhere between 6 and 10 million more people living here, numbers increasing by the hour.

Can't wait till every vehicle parked has an electric cable plugged in, thankfully i won't be around to weep at what they did to the lovely free country i was fortunate enough to be born into and grew up in.

Who decided we need before 6 to 10 million more people?

Have you a pair of rose tinted spectacles on?

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Bolt

Can't wait till every vehicle parked has an electric cable plugged in

By then there wont be enough room to park let alone put out cables to be knicked by anyone that's desperate for cash!

Can't wait till every vehicle parked has an electric cable plugged in

By then there wont be enough room to park let alone put out cables to be knicked by anyone that's desperate for cash!

Or they might not need to be plugged in anymore - induction charging...hydrogen fuel cell batteries...

Or they might not need to be plugged in anymore - induction charging...hydrogen fuel cell batteries...

doesn't make them immune to parking problems and suspect induction charging will be easier to steal, the coils are more valuable as the coils wont have plastic coverings

and I can see parking problems only getting worse as population gets larger, though some flats being built are being built on stilts to accommodate parking cars (but no charging points )

doesn't make them immune to parking problems and suspect induction charging will be easier to steal, the coils are more valuable as the coils wont have plastic coverings

and I can see parking problems only getting worse as population gets larger, though some flats being built are being built on stilts to accommodate parking cars (but no charging points )

Easier to steal than a cable? Don't think so.

If they are built into the road I don't see a deluge of people coming in with a JCB to dig them up.

Easier to steal than a cable? Don't think so.

If they are built into the road I don't see a deluge of people coming in with a JCB to dig them up.

I doubt they will be built into the roads as that would cost too much, but a mobile phone type, but larger, could be used and much lighter and with cables able to take heavy currents as multi cabled/channel are now being used in small cables, no reason why the same tech cannot be used for cars

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Engineer Andy

Given such flats cost about 20-30% more to accommodate the extra floor, and have other issues, I can't see this working out unless the high cost of land and building homes comes down, and that won't happen whilst the population keeps rising by several hundred thousand a year due to migration.

Meanwhile in the real world outside of utopia, where is the land to be found to build enough road space to cope with the numbers of vehicles needing to be road parked without people having to use common sense parking methods instead, not counting the hundreds of thousands of terraced streets where the only way to fit the vehicles in at all is for one side or sometimes both sides to park partly on the pavement.

Couldn't agree more. I've been saying that, especially about the folly of the 'dash' to going EV for ages on other threads.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Andrew-T

I love the idea, but it's come far too late - everyone has got used to parking wherever they can in the last 10 years or so. Our local road (the A56) is not immune, and I believe it started in earnest when a building development opposite was going on. The workforce had little option but to park on the pavement. When the job was finished a few months later the habit just continued.

We have one local PCSO who is aware of the problem and 'keeps an eye on it' but as it's not (yet) illegal, nothing can be done unless an obstruction is being caused. Obstructions to pavement traffic don't seem to count.

The Japanese used to have a rule saying that one could only own a car if one had off-road parking for it. I think that amount of off-road parking just doesn't exist here.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Avant

"his was until someone pointed out that if we did that then fire engines etc wouldn't be able to get past."

Exactly. Nor would the binmen - sorry, outsourced now, waste management consultants.

There are plenty of residential roads and closes developed before WW2 where they didn't think to add garages, and there weren't enough cars to be a problem. Nowadays most households have at least two cars, so where do they park except wholly or partly on the pavement?

"his was until someone pointed out that if we did that then fire engines etc wouldn't be able to get past."

Exactly. Nor would the binmen - sorry, outsourced now, waste management consultants.

There are plenty of residential roads and closes developed before WW2 where they didn't think to add garages, and there weren't enough cars to be a problem. Nowadays most households have at least two cars, so where do they park except wholly or partly on the pavement?

The development I live on and help run (as a councillor of sorts) has exactly that problem with parking, nowhere enough, lots of homes squeezed in, narrow roads, poorly accessible bin stores, hardly any parking for visitors - bin and delivery lorries, emergency services find it difficult to get around; near the station, so that plus residents parking more vehciels than allocated spaces mean we have to have parking control. Guess what the main topic of discussion is at Residents Association meetings?

The actual local councillors all swear blind they 'voted against' the estate being built because of the designed-in parking problems, and yet it passed planning without needing to go to the Sec of State. Wonder why I'm living there? Even then, it was still better than other developments, and all others that were better in this regard were well out of my price range (first time buyer at the time).

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Will deBeast

We live near some narrow streets. Most drivers are fine, but you get the odd one who parks so far over that prams and disabled can't get past.

Our friend just goes barging through regardless. And her pram may just have a few sharp edges.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - sandy56

Pavement parking is madness and needs to be stopped. I have recently seen a large 44 tonne articulated truck parked on a residential pavement. So what are pedestrians meant to do- walk on the road?

How it will be actually done in the inner city, where the problem is worse, I have no idea.

Cities will need to provide adequate parking facilities but who knows when that will happen if ever. Some cities seem to manage it well, others are chaos.

We seem to becoming more like Italy, or god forbid Cairo,- gridlocked and chaos.

One idea I have seen that may help- automated car parking seems to be catching on in some areas.

A few thoughts an integrated bus network, for more better public transport?

More and better more reliable train network?

Trams?

More push bikes, or electric bikes?

Any other bright ideas?

Pavement parking is madness and needs to be stopped. I have recently seen a large 44 tonne articulated truck parked on a residential pavement. So what are pedestrians meant to do- walk on the road?

Some owners seem to believe they are entitled to park as near their residence as physically possible, sometimes despite having off-road parking just 30 yards round the corner. Of course parking for delivery is OK, as long as it takes no more than (say) half an hour.

And some people have a garage which they choose to use for other things. Most houses built 1960-1980 had one, plus a concrete driveway for one more car. Now the garage is a sauna and the whole front area is parking for three (or more) cars. A scenario never considered when built, and there is very little natural ground surface left to absorb rainwater.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - galileo

Houses built in the 1960s/1970s may have garages, but present day cars are wider than they were and will not fit in these garages. This is one reason why garages are converted for other uses. The 'narrow garage' issue also applies to houses built in the late 1990s not far from us.

Typical of cowboy developers keen to squeeze every penny of profit out of their racket.

They 'll get planning permission for 50 houses, then build only 2 'affordable' ones and the rest 4 bed mansions with a better margin, contrary to the original application: spineless councils let them get away with it. A cynical person might suspect there are reasons for this

o

Houses built in the 1960s/1970s may have garages, but present day cars are wider than they were and will not fit in these garages. This is one reason why garages are converted for other uses. The 'narrow garage' issue also applies to houses built in the late 1990s not far from us.

I don't know the author of the building guidelines which specify the dimensions of a garage, but I don't think they have changed since my house was built in 1970. Until very recently my garage has comfortably accommodated a Pug 205, with ample space behind for a freezer. It now houses a 306 which is about 10 inches longer and 6 inches wider (over mirrors); it's made a big difference, but it's still feasible. The 207SW can just be got in, but that is just impractical every day so it has always been exposed to the elements - without obvious suffering.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - nick62

I'd wager the difference in the condition of two identical low mileage but (say) 10 year-old cars where one had been garaged and one not would be massive.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - barney100

My house falls into that category, My car fits beautifully into the garage, really snug, so snug I can't open the doors to get out. We have a country where for so many a car is the only feasible way to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Most items get to the shops etc by lorry too.

Some owners seem to believe they are entitled to park as near their residence as physically possible, sometimes despite having off-road parking just 30 yards round the corner. Of course parking for delivery is OK, as long as it takes no more than (say) half an hour.

And some people have a garage which they choose to use for other things. Most houses built 1960-1980 had one, plus a concrete driveway for one more car. Now the garage is a sauna and the whole front area is parking for three (or more) cars. A scenario never considered when built, and there is very little natural ground surface left to absorb rainwater.

Yep. A nearby 'rather large' neighbour has two allocated spaces and two cars, but he can't be asked to spend a few more seconds parking it in his space and walking an extra 20m to his home, so he parks it in the (very limited) visitor spaces nearer to his house's front door, then argues at the Residents Association AGM that his car was ticketed.

I'm sad to see that his attitude isn't unique by any stretch of the imagination, or the worst. Some of these people even threaten us and the parking attendents, even though we actually bend over backwards to be fair (far more so than any council or private car park operator), rescinding many tickets, including for first time offenders.

Peachy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49635176

This won't be feasible everywhere.

No it certainly won't be. Sadly, for too long, our planning regs and enforcement policies/regimes have been pathetic, encouraging people to do as they please.

Councils rarely do anything, private developments rarely have the money to themselves (mine doesn't - private doesn't equal rich, just that the roads aren't [sometimes deliberately] adopted by the local Council) and often rely on often useless private parking firms. Sadly, just another symtom of our 'managing decline' society in action (or maybe that should be a lack of action) - often because those in charge don't want to incur the ire (especially if they are elected by the same people) of local residents, a large minority of whom now routinely break parking rules/laws and are used to getting away with it.

It's an ongoing/uphill battle on the development where I live and am a Resident Director - many newer developments such as mine are both near stations, have reduced residents' parking anyway compared to older ones (changes in regulations for developements when built), often due to smaller plot sizes for homes (less space for front gardens and driveways) and have little on-road parking for visitors, especially when that's combined with narrower streets, all designed to pack in as many properties as humanly possible to make the developer and builder more £££ and get the Council more taxes with reduced outlays (unadopted roads means no money spent on road repairs, maintenance of street lights and furniture, communal parks, etc.

Lovely little schemes. Trouble is, very few of us can afford to pay 25-40% more or even have the choice of owning a property with sufficient parking. All the flats on my development have just one allocated space each, even for 2-bed flats, most houses (2, 3, 4 & 5 bed) have just two spaces each, some only one (including a good number of 4 bed houses).

When children grow up, where do they park their car? Or when your significant other moves in and you live in a flat? In this case, outside the development on someone else's road, one that doesn't have council permit schemes. Everyone gets peed off, some people get their cars vandalised for 'taking' others 'spaces', including off the development. All because of incompetent decisions made, money and power. And residents always expect everyone else to resolve their problems and don;'t want to get involved (too much trouble).

Lovely country we live in at the moment. Rant over.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Bilboman

Underground parking never seems to have taken off in a big way in Britain, and I can't for the life of me see why. New homes with car parking space(s) either at ground level or underground, with the home built on top, are much more space-efficient. I say "home", as 90% of them will inevitably be houses, since, again, flat dwelling in Britain is still looked down on. Commonhold was supposed to replace feudal, antiquated leasehold but that has just not happened.
The front garden is quite a curious concept. In the book "Watching the English", Katie Fox makes the point that a front garden is never for sitting out in; it is a kind of display. I think it is more of a barrier, pushing neighbours and passers-by a bit further away: "Come, look at my lawn/flowers, etc. but do not approach", "An Englishman's home is a castle", etc.
Of course, when - inevitably - front gardens are turned over to a gravel drive in an attempt to accommodate the house's increasing motor pool, the tut-tutting starts.

"On the drive" is also a strange British term, when it is used to describe the 20' x 8' paved area in front of a suburban semi, (rather than the approach to Chatsworth for instance).

Underground parking never seems to have taken off in a big way in Britain, and I can't for the life of me see why. New homes with car parking space(s) either at ground level or underground, with the home built on top, are much more space-efficient. I say "home", as 90% of them will inevitably be houses, since, again, flat dwelling in Britain is still looked down on. Commonhold was supposed to replace feudal, antiquated leasehold but that has just not happened.
The front garden is quite a curious concept. In the book "Watching the English", Katie Fox makes the point that a front garden is never for sitting out in; it is a kind of display. I think it is more of a barrier, pushing neighbours and passers-by a bit further away: "Come, look at my lawn/flowers, etc. but do not approach", "An Englishman's home is a castle", etc.
Of course, when - inevitably - front gardens are turned over to a gravel drive in an attempt to accommodate the house's increasing motor pool, the tut-tutting starts.

Underground parking adds a significant amount to the build cost (including significantly higher structural costs and for additional thermal and acoustic insulation, and thus the price a buyer pays. Even worse for UG car parks for flat blocks, which will need to be lit 24/7, likely be gated for security reasons (and perhaps have CCTV) and maybe even have fire/smoke deterction and smoke removal systems, which are VERY expensive and I believe have to be tested annually.

Ground level car parking areas with the flats over them can also be expensive, because it means only two floors worth of flats can be built above without needing lifts, which ARE increadibly expensive to buy/install and again need annual maintenance & inspections, additional buildings insurance and money put aside every year for eventual replacement (and also attract vandalism), which puts up the annual service charges, often by over 25%. Both that and the building frontages looking not so nice means they often are less attractive to buyers.

Not so bad if construction costs are low. Not in this country. A shame, at least for UG car parking, if designed properly and safely. TBH, new build properties are packed way too tight these days, and have very little amenity space like gardens, patios, car parking.

I find that the best in that regard were 'middle calss' housing from the early part of the last century ('bay windowed' housing when cars started to become more common oustide of just stately homes) up until the mid 1970s. Later than that, houses (and flats) started getting smaller again, apart from a few top-end ones, especially small-scale builds which were better quality than the McHomes.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Bromptonaut

Or when your significant other moves in and you live in a flat?

My late Mother lived in a development where planning permission was one car per flat. Of 24 flats in development some were bought 'off plan' as buy to let. Others found there way into same market when original owners sold out or died. In that circumstance it's down to purchaser/landlord to recognise the limitation.

Arguably same goes if your girl/boy friend moves in - you know the rules.

More of a problem if she moves in able to use a bus service to get to work and the bus company overhaul the timetable at two weeks notice so that no longer works.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - argybargy

The streetplan of the town I used to live in was mainly set out in the 19th Century. It's miraculous (either that or the result of astonishing foresight on the part of the planners) that so many of the minor roads were made wide enough for two cars to pass, let alone to pass when there are cars parked either side, IF many of those cars were parked with two wheels on the pavement. The age of our infrastructure needs to be taken into account when making policies such as the above, because if it isn't, then the parking wars we hear about will be ratcheted up to an unprecedented level.

As for the idea that introducing pavement parking bans will encourage people to use public transport rather than buying a car, that would require not only much better provision of public transport, but a massive change of culture and attitude which can only happen over several decades.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - RT

If pavements are wider than necessary for pedestrian use, then make them narrower to allow more room for cars - otherwise parking on a pavement should be an absolute offence - the need for modern society to have more cars than parking spaces isn't sufficient reason to obstruct other users like pedestrians.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - sammy1

Some cars drive too near the curb as it is without making the pavements narrower. Cars parked on the pavement for hours or days without use should be banned.

Maybe we should apply the same "law" to parking spaces as to social events, where "there are not enough chairs", i.e. there are enough chairs, just too many backsides?

Cars parked on the pavement for hours or days without use should be banned.

Banned ? Really? I guess you mean penalised in some way?

Banning pavement parking proposal. - sammy1

Yes banned definition of verb " to officially or legally prohibit something" therefor it may follow that offenders would be penalised!

Banning pavement parking proposal. - concrete

As usual a sledgehammer fix for a nut problem. There is no one size fits all solution to most problems. Surely the local authorities are best placed to know their areas and effect some kind of solution that satisfies the most criteria. We are a cul-de-sac, built in the 50's and the road is quite narrow. Parking for those who don't or rather won't use the parking areas at the entrance, (which means a colossal 50 metre walk!!,) has to be off road. Pavement or grassed areas in front of houses. Useless in winter of course. Few houses can accommodate a garage so outside parking is the only option. As Avant points out, rubbish collection, deliveries etc etc are all required services. Fortunately everyone in the road is sensible and abides by the unwritten code of sensible parking so as not to obstruct or inconvenience neighbours. If the council did enforce such a policy it would be impossible for most people in our road and a lot in the village to find anywhere nearby to leave their cars. Luckily we can walk in the road because traffic is rare and slow. Different in towns and cities where another solution has to be found. Not an easy problem to solve.

Cheers Concrete

Banning pavement parking proposal. - Bilboman

"Everyone is sensible and abides by the unwritten code" - if only this idea could be expanded to cover, say, the whole world!
Cul-de-sacs do tend to have a greater sense of community, no doubt helped by the lowered stress of not having through traffic, with all the noise, pollution and accidents that brings. And unlike a conventional road, drivers don't tend to "dump" a car on a random pavement in a cul de sac in order to visit someone in a neighbouring street, or to make that all important trip to the cashpoint.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - concrete

Quite right Bilboman. We are fortunate in our location and with the neighbours too. We all get on and are therefore very considerate to each others needs. For instance when we are away we invite neighbours park on our drive for that period. Every little helps, as they say!

Cheers Concrete

Banning pavement parking proposal. - badbusdriver

The street I live on is quite narrow and there are cars parked both sides. It is because of this that our last choice of car was a Honda Jazz, but i'm guessing there are a tiny minority who would make this kind of consideration. By far the majority of folks are much happier in a car far bigger than they actually need. Car manufacturers make successive new models bigger than their predecessors and while the length may not be a huge factor, the width, for roads like mine, is. They (the roads) are not getting any wider, so why are the cars?. Our Jazz, despite being the narrowest car in its class (along with the Yaris and Mazda 2) at 1695mm excluding mirrors, is around the same width as a 'family car' from the 80's or 90's, such as a Nissan Bluebird. By contrast, the new Renault Clio, a car in the same class as the Jazz (and almost certainly with less interior space), is 1798mm wide. Reading a roadtest of the new BMW X5 the other day and even the tester noted how wide the car was, and given how this is not the kind of thing normally mentioned, i guessed it must be excessive. Looked it up and found that it is 2004mm, 132mm wider than the original X5, which wasn't a 'petite' car.

The van i use for my work, a VW Caddy (1800mm wide), i park with the tyres on the pavement because of the problems on my street. But, i am very careful to just put the width of the tyre on the pavement (and folding both mirrors in), leaving plenty of room for pedestrians, wheelchair users, baby buggy pushers (apart from the 2 abreast ones) etc to get past. It seems to me one of the biggest problems with folk parking on the pavement is not that they are using the pavement, but that they are using ALL of it when they don't need to be, and are therefore giving no consideration at all to the pedestrians.

Car manufacturers make successive new models bigger than their predecessors and while the length may not be a huge factor, the width, for roads like mine, is. They (the roads) are not getting any wider, so why are the cars?..

I think it is partly to create an image of the customer 'getting something better', but I suspect that to cope with increasing height, weight and speed, for some decades cars have had to get wider (and have fatter tyres) to avoid rolling in awkward situations. Small cars like the 205 were designed to be well under a ton - now hardly any car will do that, and some weigh in at a couple of tons.

Banning pavement parking proposal. - galileo

Car manufacturers make successive new models bigger than their predecessors and while the length may not be a huge factor, the width, for roads like mine, is. They (the roads) are not getting any wider, so why are the cars?..

I think it is partly to create an image of the customer 'getting something better', but I suspect that to cope with increasing height, weight and speed, for some decades cars have had to get wider (and have fatter tyres) to avoid rolling in awkward situations. Small cars like the 205 were designed to be well under a ton - now hardly any car will do that, and some weigh in at a couple of tons.

Don't forget the NCAP testing includes a factor for side impact protection, this is why doors are now much thicker than they used to be, A and B pillars are also thicker to hold the roof up better in rollovers. The fashion for wide centre consoles and wider seats means wider cars too. (Wider seats probably needed because over half the population are overweight, watch pedestrians in any high street for proof).

Banning pavement parking proposal - daveyjp
It can't be blanket, too late for that. Reliance on cars is too great and public transport is simply not viable. I suspect it will result in areas where you can and those where you can't, more signage, more fines, more confusion!

As an example my sister in law lives on an estate built about 20 years ago, the carriageway is only 5m wide! If I visit the only option is to park on the pavement as there is simply no way large vehicles can pass if a car is parked on the road.

Banning pavement parking proposal - Andrew-T
If I visit the only option is to park on the pavement as there is simply no way large vehicles can pass if a car is parked on the road.

And as has been often said, space has to (should) be left for emergency vehicles, just in case an emergency occurs. Many brownie points lost if one's unattended car obstructs one of those.

Banning pavement parking proposal - Engineer Andy
If I visit the only option is to park on the pavement as there is simply no way large vehicles can pass if a car is parked on the road.

And as has been often said, space has to (should) be left for emergency vehicles, just in case an emergency occurs. Many brownie points lost if one's unattended car obstructs one of those.

In addition to a loss of Brownie points, offenders are also (at least according to a Fireman in the family) going to lose their wing mirrors and a nice pristine, scratch and dent-free side of their vehicles if they need to get to an emergency.

On the other hand, the bin crews will often threaten not to come to collect any more, even the newer trucks with four wheel steering have difficulty - and it seriously slows them down, ticking them off (a longer day) even more. This can sometimes result in bins not being collected on 'problem developments' such as mine if they want to finish their shift at the normal time.

Or when your significant other moves in and you live in a flat?

My late Mother lived in a development where planning permission was one car per flat. Of 24 flats in development some were bought 'off plan' as buy to let. Others found there way into same market when original owners sold out or died. In that circumstance it's down to purchaser/landlord to recognise the limitation.

Arguably same goes if your girl/boy friend moves in - you know the rules.

More of a problem if she moves in able to use a bus service to get to work and the bus company overhaul the timetable at two weeks notice so that no longer works.

Indeed - TBH, very few people, even with a decent public transport system, can get by these days without the use of a car. Where I live is within 5 minutes walk of the local train station, and the number of car parking spaces was deliberately restricted because the developers and council (at the time) thought that people 'would need many cars' because they could travel everywhere by train or bus. That's just a pipe dream.

Many estate agents either 'neglect' to tell prospective buyers about parking problems (or in my case, the development's parking restrictions and control) or downright lie about it, saying you can 'get away' with parking extra cars. As you say, people should know the rules, but rarely ask questions or fully read the terms of their lease or TP1 before committing to moving in.

Those renting out properties are even worse - they (and often through their letting agency) don't bother to show new tennants the rules, ending up in a blame game when the inevitable parking fine comes the tennant's way.

My local council has said they changed their rules a few years ago (I wished they'd done so before my home development was built) so that ALL new 2-bed properties (flats included) now come with 2 allocated parking spaces minimum, and not only 1; presumably similar upscaling for properties with larger numbers of bedrooms.