Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - johnmac
Hi,

I have a ford fiesta 1.8 LX Diesel 1993. I ran out of fuel so filled up with a few cans of diesel , wouldnt start though. So i primed the hand pump quite a few times and nothing.

Changed the fuel filter and now fuel will pump through the hand pump, but doesnt seem to be getting to the engine ?

What i really need to know is, 'can fuel pump through the hand priming pump(by self primimg) but the pump still be broken, i.e hole in diaphragm ?'

Really need some help here, anything woul be helpful

thanks
And all measures have been taken to try and get rid of airlocks.
Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - RichardW
Diesels can be difficult to start if run dry. Try this - pump till the primer goes hard, switch on ignition, pump again. Flick engine over on starter, pump again (ignition on), and do this 5 or 6 times. Then try to start. If it still won't go, try the ignition on pumping a few more times. If it still won't go then you might need to crack off the injector unions and crank the engine over untill the fuel comes out - this tends to bleed it quicker as you don't have to compress the air. Always possible that there is a plit in the pump diaphragm and you are not pumping the diesel up.

Richard
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply !!

The AA guy opened up the injector unions whilst i turned it over, i dont think any fuel was coming through, but this was before i changd the fuel filter. Apparently when the car is running on, or near empty, you bring up a lot of grit and dirt from the bottom of the tank and hence the fuel filter got clogged. so i thought a new filter would cure it. But maybe i primed the hand pump a bit too hard and punctured it? not sure ?

My other thought was that dirt has got past the filter into the injector pump or injectors themsleves. Is this very likely ?

thanks again.

Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - Pete F
johnmac

As RichardW mentioned.. Does the primer 'go hard' if you pump a lot? If not then primer may be damaged.
Picking up dirt is a bit of an old wive's tale. If there is dirt in the tank, it may get picked up anyway. It will only go past filter if filter is not fitted correctly. If it has then the damage is done.
Put in more fuel. Make sure gauge is giving a positive reading before trying again. Loosen all injectors slghtly and crank till you see fuel. Then tighten and try to start engine again.
Hi,

Yes the primer does go hard after priming but it doesnt seem to stay hard for long.

I did take the pump to bits and put it back together, maybe i made some errors. I couldnt seem to notice a puncture but then again i could have missed it.

Anyway i guess the obvious option is to replace the hand pump and see what happens, their only £13 from lucas !

I have no idea what to do if this doesnt work. Are there likely to be any filters or values in the tank or from tank-primer that could have been clogged. There was a heck of a lot of grit in the old fuel filter and inside the primer when i took it apart.

thanks.
Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - kithmo
A bit messy this one but try slackening the filter and prime the hand pump until fuel comes out of the top (put some rags under to catch spillage) then tighten the filter, prime again and try to start the engine. This gets rid of any air that is trapped in the filter (which would probably be the largest amount in the system).
Hi all that been done a few times, i can get fuel to the injection pump no prob with primimg the hand pump, but no start.

I guess it looks like the injection pump has gone, but it seems to much of a coincidence that the car would run out of fuel and the injection pump would go at the same time.

im going to change the hand pump tommorrow and see if that helps im also going to put grease on a lot of the fuel pipe joints to see of that stops any leak that might be there.

after that no idea. I really dont wont to buy a new injection pump nd find it still doesnt start.
Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Just to add my sixpen'orth. Try this, loosen banjo bolt at the pump where the pipe from the filter arrives and prime till air bubbles stop,tighten, then open the injector unions and crank on full throttle until fuel leaks out.She should go then.( I am assuming the solenoid is OK?)The other possibility is that you may not have run out of fuel in the first place and the pump has indeed failed. Check the pump is rotating (busted pump belt) and if the sprocket is rotating is the shaft intact? (Had one no- start where the shaft had snapped inside the pump) Good luck
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - Dizzy {P}
I agree with Andrew (of course!). Some diesel engines, especially the older models, do need bleeding at the pump and then at the injectors.

I've just one thing to add -- assuming the filter is the replaceable-element type, are you certain that you put the seals back in the right place when you changed it? On some filters the upper and lower seals (one flat and one cone-shaped)can be fitted about face and shut off the fuel supply. In this situation, I believe that hand-priming can force a bit of fuel through but the engine can't produce enough flow by itself for running.
'assuming the filter is the replaceable-element type'

yes

'are you certain that you put the seals back in the right place when you changed it? On some filters the upper and lower seals (one flat and one cone-shaped)can be fitted about face and shut off the fuel supply. In this situation, I believe that hand-priming can force a bit of fuel through but the engine can't produce enough flow by itself for running.'

ah ha that sounds like a good idea i'll give it a try. Its small things like this i really have no clue about.
'Just to add my sixpen'orth. Try this, loosen banjo bolt at the pump where the pipe from the filter arrives and prime till air bubbles stop,tighten, then open the injector unions and crank on full throttle until fuel leaks out....'

I tried that and no fuel would come out of the banjo bolt, but fuel is definately going into the injection pump. I can unbolt the fuel input pipe and prime and it comes through.

Does this point to a bad injection pump ?

'The other possibility is that you may not have run out of fuel in the first place and the pump has indeed failed'

It definately ran out of fuel i live way out in the country and misjudged the amout in the tank vs distance to nearest filling station.

I'll try changing the solenoid, check for leaks again, change the hand pump, check the IP belt, check the compression, change the air-filter. But i still have a feeling that none of these things will get it going. So does that only leave the IP ?

thanks !!
Hi and thanks !

It turned out that the glow plugs had gone as well as the hand pump. The car is now running again !
Diesel Wont Start after running dry ? - jc
Probably the continued cranking finished off a set of well-worn glow-plugs.Had the same on a gasoline motor;the failure of the idle fuel cut-off solenoid and then the repeated cranking finished off the coil-12 v. thro the 8 v. coil.