Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - AnotherHondaJazzOwner

I recently had my Honda Jazz catalytic converter stolen in Enfield, London. When I get the car back I want to get a catalytic converter locked fitted. Does anyone know of lock suitable for a Honda Jazz 2009 1.4 CVT SE automatic?

Thanks

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - Bolt

I recently had my Honda Jazz catalytic converter stolen in Enfield, London. When I get the car back I want to get a catalytic converter locked fitted. Does anyone know of lock suitable for a Honda Jazz 2009 1.4 CVT SE automatic?

Thanks

Not personally done any research into this but from what I`ve read this firm is the only one that supplies these, www.catsafe.org.uk/

I wonder if the bolts could be replaced with anti theft snap off bolts but also not sure about that, but if they needed replacing later in life it would be difficult to replace them (secure though)

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - paul 1963

Sorry I'm being a little thick, do these low life's undo the bolts in order to take the cat? I assumed they cut them off.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - Simon

No, they just cut through the pipework.

No, they just cut through the pipework.

depends who it is nicking it, some use an impact driver to undo the bolts as it only tales a few seconds, others use spanners which is why its been recommended the owner has the bolts welded to exhaust....

if they see the welded bolts they scarper sharpish

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - focussed

They just use a chain or ratcheting pipe cutter, two cuts, more or less silent, takes a couple of minutes only, them off to nick the next one.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper-extc-expert-exhaust-pipe-cutter/

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - plunderedhonda

This company seems to have gone out of business. Their email bounces back and their phone line seems to not ever be in office hours.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - Galaxy

This company seems to have gone out of business. Their email bounces back and their phone line seems to not ever be in office hours.

Definitely gone: beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07211170

(Fleet Talk Ltd owned Cat Safe)

Edited by Galaxy on 03/09/2019 at 19:10

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - SLO76
The locks typically cost more than an aftermarket replacement cat from a quick search online. You could possibly deter most opportunists with a sticker. They won’t risk spending time on a car they think has security fitted.

rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/0/0/99?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fww...8
Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - gordonbennet

To get the cat from under a large van or 4x4 is one thing, vehicle often doesn't need to be lifted.

Getting one from a car is another thing altogether, the vehicle needs lifting and if they feel comfortable enough where the vehicle is parked to jack the car up then they probably won't mind cutting through such devices with an angle grinder.

Pull up in a van beside a row of parked cars on an industrial estate during the day, yellow flashing beacons on, ''mechanic'' in statutory hivis, he could jack it up and do whatever he needs to and few unless the owner could see the car would take any notice assuming its a breakdown service, sadly who cares anyway in a city?

To get the cat from under a large van or 4x4 is one thing, vehicle often doesn't need to be lifted.

Getting one from a car is another thing altogether, the vehicle needs lifting and if they feel comfortable enough where the vehicle is parked to jack the car up then they probably won't mind cutting through such devices with an angle grinder.

Pull up in a van beside a row of parked cars on an industrial estate during the day, yellow flashing beacons on, ''mechanic'' in statutory hivis, he could jack it up and do whatever he needs to and few unless the owner could see the car would take any notice assuming its a breakdown service, sadly who cares anyway in a city?

they can do what they like now as there are no police around to worry about, and not many people would want to get involved even if they knew what was happening! strange world now

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - Andrew-T

they can do what they like now as there are no police around to worry about, and not many people would want to get involved even if they knew what was happening! strange world now

They probably think 'he's covered by insurance anyway' so who cares .... And everyone's premium goes up.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - focussed
The locks typically cost more than an aftermarket replacement cat from a quick search online. You could possibly deter most opportunists with a sticker. They won’t risk spending time on a car they think has security fitted. rover.ebay.co.uk/rover/0/0/99?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fww...8

How long will it take for the lowlife thieving scum to recognise that those stickers are just a spoof sticker?

Come to think of it, how many lowlife thieving scum could be reading your post right now?

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - plunderedhonda

Hi Mate,

Also had my Jazz's cat stolen in NE London, Wanstead. Where have you got yours fixed? I'm currently struggling to get the right parts.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - johncyprus
Me to. The cat was stolen from our Jazz about five weeks ago in SW London in the middle of the day in broad day light. Video evidence shows two oiks parallel park next to it, one gets out with trolley jack and angle grinder the other is the lookout. There’s the horrible noise of the exhaust being cut through in two places, local residents assumed it was a mechanic working on the car. All done in less than two minutes.
Eventually I went down the insurance route expecting it to be written off, I would buy back and repair but to my surprise they decided to repair it. Five weeks on I’m still driving a courtesy car as they can’t source some parts.
Anyway back to the question, the only way to protect your cat is to park off road otherwise it’s at risk.
Me to. The cat was stolen from our Jazz about five weeks ago in SW London in the middle of the day in broad day light. Video evidence shows two oiks parallel park next to it, one gets out with trolley jack and angle grinder the other is the lookout. There’s the horrible noise of the exhaust being cut through in two places, local residents assumed it was a mechanic working on the car. All done in less than two minutes. Eventually I went down the insurance route expecting it to be written off, I would buy back and repair but to my surprise they decided to repair it. Five weeks on I’m still driving a courtesy car as they can’t source some parts. Anyway back to the question, the only way to protect your cat is to park off road otherwise it’s at risk.

If they are desperate for it they will get it, really the scrap yards should stop taking them but doubt that will happen, worth too much....like cable stealing from the green cable boxes on the side of the road its still happening

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - KW1

Not sure if this helps - I couldn't source a front sensor - Insurance company were going to write car off. I asked for the car back and founda front sensor from a breakers - Unfortunately the plug did not fit but the mechanic managed to use the existing plug and rewire it to the sensor I had sourced from the breakers - All works perfectly. All the best getting your Jazz fixed.

Honda Jazz - Catalytic converter lock - marymck

On 7th October my husband interrupted three men trying to steal the two year old Honda own brand catalytic converter from my 2006 Honda Jazz. The car has been with Artis Accident Repair - via my insurance company - ever since. I keep getting different versions of what the garage have done/are doing.

Bear with, the explanation is long, and my question in the final paragraph if you want to skip to it!

On Friday 11th, the garage's estimator told that the central section of the exhaust had been cut (this corresponded to what my husband had seen when he looked under the car) and the estimator had ordered a new central section; the workshop were taking the CAT off and hoped it would still work, as it didn't look damaged, the workshop would examine it early this week; and that it needed new O2 sensors (we could see from looking under the car that one had been cut) but that the sensors wouldn't be available until December. I have a spare set of sensors (albeit not Honda) and the estimator said he would arrange to have them picked up from me this week, to see if they could use them as a temporary fix until the Honda ones came in.

But then on the morning of Monday 14th (yesterday) I get a call to say the car is ready. The garage told me that after market CAT and sensors had been fitted and I would have a three year non-transferable guarantee. I wasn't happy because the insurance company had said that I'd be contacted before any works were carried out if they wanted to fit after market parts.

Then yesterday afternoon, I get a call from the garage's driver to say he was bringing the car back and that they had only had to weld the exhaust. He said the sensors were fine and hadn't been changed. (We have a picture showing a cut sensor cable at the CAT end - so how could they not be replaced?) He didn't know about the CAT.

The latest - just this afternoon - is that I've had another conversation with the garage's estimator. He is now saying that the central section of the exhaust (which he had ordered in as a replacement part) has been welded, as it was repairable; the CAT was only cut two thirds of the way through and so it has been welded and refitted; one of the sensors has been replaced with a new Bosch one (the second, Honda, sensor was OK).

He's also saying that I will get a five year guarantee, which (after some pressure from me) he said would be emailed to me. It hasn't come yet, but as I type this I realized they don't have my email address).

I asked for a copy of the emissions test and he said they don't do them as they don't have the equipment to do emissions tests.

So I'm quite worried. h*******s did an emissions test when they replaced my original Honda CAT two and a half years ago. That failed after two months and they fitted a Klavius, which also failed after two months. It took them a lot of attempts with the Klavius to get a legal emissions test result. I ended up back at Honda - where the emissions test failed and a new Honda CAT and sensors was fitted. The Honda replacements were fitted two years ago and everything has been dandy ever since. But now I fear I'm in for a repeat of the saga.

So my question is: when a new CAT is fitted or an existing one is removed and welded, shouldn't an emissions test be carried out before the garage sign off that the car is legal?

Edited by marymck on 15/10/2019 at 18:55