Mazda 2 - Buying a used car - advice please - usman12345

Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I was after some advice please as I'm looking for a reliable automatic for my wife's first car.

I have found a mazda 2 which is 8 year's old and on it's recent MOT it mentions two advisories for : surface corrosion rear axle and slight damage n/s outer sill.

The previous MOT before that had advisories for surface corrosion rear axle, rear springs.

I'm not sure on how big or expensive of a problem this corrosion is, can you please advise ?

Would this put you off viewing the car ?

Thanks for your help.

Usman

Mazda 2 - Buying a used car - advice please - badbusdriver

Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I was after some advice please as I'm looking for a reliable automatic for my wife's first car.

I have found a mazda 2 which is 8 year's old and on it's recent MOT it mentions two advisories for : surface corrosion rear axle and slight damage n/s outer sill.

The previous MOT before that had advisories for surface corrosion rear axle, rear springs.

I'm not sure on how big or expensive of a problem this corrosion is, can you please advise ?

Would this put you off viewing the car ?

Thanks for your help.

Usman

As it is an 8 year old car, i wouldn't worry too much about it. The surface rust on the rear axle would be sorted by rubbing it down and applying a liberal coating of some kind of underseal or wax protection (GB, you are the expert here?). As for the springs, in theory, you could probably also rub them down, but i doubt they'd cost too much to replace, so maybe not worth the hassle over just replacing them. Regarding the damage on outer sill?, hard to say without seeing it, but at the very least, if the paint surface has been broken, you will need to deal with it to prevent rust.

Just had a look on Ebay, (unbranded) rear springs available for £18 each.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/08/2019 at 19:19