Alternatives to EU made cars - CommonSenseGuy

For the past 25 years I have driven BMW and Mercedes cars. Normally buying new and selling at 3-4 years old. Back in May I ordered a new MB C220d AMG Line for September delivery, however earlier this month I cancelled the order. The reason for this is the disgusting way that EU countries behave towards the UK. I cannot stomach the thought of over £40k of my money going to support Germany in furthering their aim of dominating Europe.

The question now is what equivalent car to buy that is not EU made? I don't see very many US cars on our roads. I know Cadillac was available a few years ago. Can they be ordered?

Alternatives to EU made cars - Meteiro

In a few months time plenty of people will be doing the opposite and not buying from the UK.

But hey, blue passports...

In answer to your question, there's a dealer in Surrey who imports Chevrolets and Cadiallac s (left hand drive though). A quick google search would've told you that, which i why I suspect the anti-EU hate was the main purpose of the post.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Sofa Spud

I'm disgusted with the way the British government is behaving towards ours EU partners. Sadly there aren't any real British car manufacturers left for me to boycott.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Lee Power

Could always visit your local Lexus dealer if you want reliability, luxury & non EU manufacture.

Alternatives to EU made cars - oldroverboy.

which i why I suspect the anti-EU hate was the main purpose of the post.

I have said it countless times before, I am of mixed european descent, but there are some car products that i won't buy, but because of reliability issues and obfuscation from those manufacturers. There are some cities that I avoid because of overcrowding etc, but also because of costs.

There are things i don't like in the UK too, the main one being the dire level of customer service wherever I am, be it buying a car, getting it serviced, or simply shopping for whatever, never mind the horrors of trying to park, or paying more from Colchester to London by train than I would pay from london to brussels by eurostar.

There are lots of non EU cars for the OP from Japan. Korea, and now china., but i agree, the op looks as if he is unhappy. i don't expect BMW or others are losing too much sleep over the loss of a single order. Did the OP lose his deposit by the way?

Alternatives to EU made cars - Brit_in_Germany

Each to their own I suppose but many Mercedes and BMW SUVs are built in the US and any purchase will attract VAT which will contribute to the EU's coffers.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Engineer Andy

Each to their own I suppose but many Mercedes and BMW SUVs are built in the US and any purchase will attract VAT which will contribute to the EU's coffers.

Not after 31st October it won't.

Alternatives to EU made cars - gordonbennet

I would have thought the new Camry would be an ideal and more reliable/durable alternative to the MB now cancelled, but if the badge isn't equivalent enough there's always the Lexus range.

Doubt i shall buy another vehicle that wasn't made in Japan.

Could always support the USA (our oldest and arguably most reliable friend, and now with a pro UK President) by buying a Mustang.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/08/2019 at 15:44

Alternatives to EU made cars - sammy1

If you buy the new Toyota supra you are buying a BMW engine and gearbox as the car was developed jointly by the two companies. There are no cars which you can say are country specific

Alternatives to EU made cars - SteveLee

Yeah, I fancy a Mustang, keep meaning to get round to getting a test drive.

Alternatives to EU made cars - alan1302

Could always support the USA (our oldest and arguably most reliable friend, and now with a pro UK President) by buying a Mustang.

Pro UK when he wants - will be against UK as well depending on what way the wind is blowing when he gets up in the morning.

For the past 25 years I have driven BMW and Mercedes cars. Normally buying new and selling at 3-4 years old. Back in May I ordered a new MB C220d AMG Line for September delivery, however earlier this month I cancelled the order. The reason for this is the disgusting way that EU countries behave towards the UK. I cannot stomach the thought of over £40k of my money going to support Germany in furthering their aim of dominating Europe.

The question now is what equivalent car to buy that is not EU made? I don't see very many US cars on our roads. I know Cadillac was available a few years ago. Can they be ordered?

I personally wouldn't buy a US-designed car - period. IMHO, the designs are hardly cutting edge, many are poor (engineering) quality, poorly made, and are often very crude to drive. Fast (in a straight line) they can be, but very few are good round the twisty bits or have much in the way of styling.

Outside of a few US muscle cars that are at least entertaining and nice to look at (though are huge gas-guzzlers and have terrible, flimsy interiors), they are, at best only worth it as A to B cars if you can get one REALLY cheaply that's either new or been really well looked after if second hand.

Given many US car firms have pulled out of Europe generally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if parts are increasingly hard to come by, especially as Vauxhall is now no longer part of GM. Only Ford really left over here.

US-built car from Japanese makes etc are likely to be almost as good as those built in Japan, although ones designed for the North American market may be not to your/our tastes if they have very soft suspension and bigger engines to cater to that market.

Even if the car is not made in the Far East or UK, if it is from a firm owned outside of the EU (e.g. KIA) but manufacturing cars on the continent (in Slovakia [how apt!]), at least that's something so some money makes its way to UK (dealership) and the worldwide firm back in South Korea.

If you're buying for comfort rather than outright performance/style, then you can't really go wrong with a Lexus. The new Toyota Camry seems like a decent car. Note that some existing Toyota diesels are sourced from BMW, similarly with Mazda that use a variant of Euro-designed diesel engines in some of their range.

The all-new Mazda3 fastback in 2.0 Skyactive-X (185PS) form is a much better car than its predecessor (especially inside) and may have the right combination of power/performance and syling/luxury (auto available) you may want, especially as the boot is now 450L. It probably is still a bit smaller than the C-Class, especially in the back seats.

Worth considering, though its only just come out and the engine is a completely all-new design. Prices are not as cheap as they used to be, especially as you won't get as good a discount because its a new model. Mazda main dealers (after sales) can be somewhat hit-and-miss as well, though I wouldn't say that Mercedes has a great reputation there either.

Alternatives to EU made cars - groaver

What you really want is this:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/russias-rolls-royce-rivaling-aurus-opens-first-showroom-in-moscow/

And yet there's a quiet nagging suspicion that I've seen this somewhere else. :-"

Alternatives to EU made cars - T Lucas

Well just when you think you've heard the most ridiculous thing from a Brexiter they surprise you again.

Brexit,it just keeps giving.

Cadillac PMSL......how stupid do you have to be!

Alternatives to EU made cars - SLO76
I’m not going to get into the politics but I’d change your name as it doesn’t sit well with the idea of ruling out the bulk of the motor industry when shopping for a new or used car, even more so when you’re looking for a new prestige model.

I’ve a funny feeling this is purely a political rant and in fact you are not at all planning on making a £40,000 purchase especially from the rather strange question about importing a Cadillac. The only real alternatives to European brands are the Japanese and considering there are still huge barriers to our firms doing business over there I’m thinking you wouldn’t want one of these either.

Alternatives to EU made cars - drd63
Engineer Andy, I own a 2017 Mustang and would take issue with the description of the interior as flimsy. It may not be full of soft touch plastics but is really solid in the way it’s put together. It’s a proper no nonsense car. At the moment I’m in North West Scotland in mine - its carting around lots of outdoor gear, wet suits etc and taking us to some very remote places no rwd sports car has any right going, despite now very filthy inside and out nearly everywhere we park up someone will come along and say “I love your car”, it’s a rare big, loud, lairy car that never gets any hate.
Alternatives to EU made cars - Andrew-T

I cannot stomach the thought of over £40k of my money going to support Germany in furthering their aim of dominating Europe.

I'm only wondering why it has taken so long to come round to this way of thinking. £40k every few years ....

But as I try to be a logical rather than emotional reasoner, I am still waiting for the bunch of nutters we now have in cabinet to explain to us what the real tangible advantages are that will accrue as soon as Brexit happens - which they seem to be intent on, 'whatever it takes', or costs.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Leif

I cannot stomach the thought of over £40k of my money going to support Germany in furthering their aim of dominating Europe.

I'm only wondering why it has taken so long to come round to this way of thinking. £40k every few years ....

But as I try to be a logical rather than emotional reasoner, I am still waiting for the bunch of nutters we now have in cabinet to explain to us what the real tangible advantages are that will accrue as soon as Brexit happens - which they seem to be intent on, 'whatever it takes', or costs.

Can we cut out the political rants, be they pro or anti brexit, this is supposed to be a car forum.My thoughts are that buying a new posh car every three years is madness, but if the OP has the wherewithal, why not.

<< Can we cut out the political rants, be they pro or anti brexit, this is supposed to be a car forum. >>

You call that a rant ? It's only one admittedly longish sentence. Sorry if you dislike the content, as it seems you do, Leif.

Glad you've come to your senses - Although I made the same decision regarding BMW years ago. I don't know how BMW got away with asset-stripping and dumping our last volume motor manufacturer without the British people batting an eyelid - let alone turning against them - I guess they bought the "English Patient" propaganda..

It was also obvious to me PSA purchasing Vauxhall is simply a way for them to remove a competing "value" car manufacurer. How long before they'll use any excuse to start closing UK factories and Vauxhall will become a badge on a PSA product?

Alternatives to EU made cars - mcb100
As fine a car as the Mazda3 is, there is a flaw so far a determined Brexiteer is concerned - we get our cars in the UK from Mazda Europe in Zeebrugge. They’ll be there long enough for an employee to affix an EU sticker....
As fine a car as the Mazda3 is, there is a flaw so far a determined Brexiteer is concerned - we get our cars in the UK from Mazda Europe in Zeebrugge. They’ll be there long enough for an employee to affix an EU sticker....

No we don't - all that is is a depot, and mostly holding their spare parts other than cars in transit to elsewhere in the EU. All their cars sold in the EU are made in Japan. They may take a cut of the price you pay in the showroom, but a small amount.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 26/08/2019 at 22:17

My point was made in jest. We do indeed get Japanese (and some Malaysian) built Mazda cars in the UK, however they arrive in this country via Mazda Europe’s hub in Zeebrugge.
www.insidemazda.co.uk/2016/05/20/special-delivery-.../
My point was made in jest. We do indeed get Japanese (and some Malaysian) built Mazda cars in the UK, however they arrive in this country via Mazda Europe’s hub in Zeebrugge. www.insidemazda.co.uk/2016/05/20/special-delivery-.../

Fair enough, but that would mean Amazon could claim a product 'came' from the UK if it was 'held' in one of its warehouses dotted around the UK, even if it were made in China. Just because Mazda cars to be sold in Europe dirst arrive at the port of Zeebrugge doesn't entitle them to slap a 'made in the EU' sticker on them. Designed/made (small variances from other regions) for the EU market, yes, actually made, no.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the same applies to their parts supply for Europe as well, i.e. being essentially just a centralised warehouse, with them being manufactured back in Japan. I don't think Mazda are big enough a player in the worldwide market to be able to justify having production facilities outside of Japan - they just don't sell enough cars to make it financially worthwhile, even in North America.

Alternatives to EU made cars - ExA35Owner

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the same applies to their parts supply for Europe as well, i.e. being essentially just a centralised warehouse, with them being manufactured back in Japan. I don't think Mazda are big enough a player in the worldwide market to be able to justify having production facilities outside of Japan - they just don't sell enough cars to make it financially worthwhile, even in North America.

Looks like they are in several countries:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mazda_facilities#Lis...s

Looks like they are in several countries:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mazda_facilities#Lis...s

Good spot there (and I stand corrected) - looks like they are limited to the Far East (where presumably they do have a higher share of the market and manufacturing shipping costs for parts are lower due to shorter distances) and a few developing areas of the World.

It's noticeable that their first and only US plant closed many years ago, although a new one is now being built, probably after Trump said he'd put up import tarriffs on makes that didn't have any manufactuing/assembly plants in the US. None in (non-Russian) Europe or other richer areas though.

KIA Stinger - silly name - great car - particularly the high performance variants.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Avant

Welcome to the forum, "Common Sense Guy" - but I don't hold out much hope for your getting your deposit back. Even if the Germans were bent on dominating Europe (I don't think they are) they are no more or less inclined to do so than when you placed the order in May. So why place it in the first place?

If anyone is looking for domination it's probably Donald Trump, but by all means go for a (LHD) Cadillac if you want to. A Lexus, as suggested above, could be your best bet....as long as you don't think Japan is trying to dominate Asia.

Alternatives to EU made cars - daveyK_UK
You should buy a Lexus or Subaru regardless of politics ; they are the best engineered, most reliable and can be kept for longer than 3/4 years without significant financial cost.

If you have to have a Mercedes or BMW, I would go for BMW as Mercedes are far too close with Renault and an increasing number of Renault bits are appearing in various Mercedes cars and vans.

The EU has always favoured German and French car manufacturers but that because their national representatives along with lobby groups are more influential in this area than other company’s/country’s reps and lobbyists.

Alternatives to EU made cars - John F

I wonder if the thought of how the Japanese behaved towards us in living memory might sway the OP against all the enthusiastic advice so far? Perhaps the answer to Mr CSG's question lies in a Geely S60. The Chinese have never, AFAIK, behaved badly towards us whereas the Brits treated them atrociously in the past and have never, AFAIK, made amends. Anyway, to introduce politics into the purchase of a piece of machinery seems to me to be absurd. The tone of the OP's post brings to mind Wilde......'...patriotism is the virtue of the vicious...'.

Alternatives to EU made cars - sandy56

If people dont want to buy foreign made cars for historical or personal reasons that is their right. The beauty of the UK car market is you can usually buy and run whatever you want, provided you pay the appropriate taxes.

Personally I now run an old Honda, but am considering an older classic Jaguar with a smaller city car as a runaround. I like the small Suzuki's.

If you want to buy and run a Chinese/ Japanese/ Korean/ German/ Italian/ American/French/Czech car- go for it.

Alternatives to EU made cars - madf

If you don't want to "supportthe EU" in car buying, that rules out almost all cars made in Europe (and the UK) as most have lots of EU made parts.Goodby goes my new Range Rover :-)

I would suggest a Britsih made bicycle .. although the best have Japanese gears I believe...

Patiotic buying of US cars when they were rubbish destroyed the US car industry when Japanese car makers exploited the incompetence of the US car industry ..

Alternatives to EU made cars - corax

If people dont want to buy foreign made cars for historical or personal reasons that is their right.

True, but when you announce your political reasons for doing so on a public forum, you should expect some flak in return.

Alternatives to EU made cars - concrete

'...patriotism is the virtue of the vicious...'

also ' the last refuge of a scoundrel'

I think it unwise of the OP to post a thread which links two distinctly separate things. Politics may well influence any decision to purchase anything, but that is just a factor in the purchasing process. To use it as an economic weapon is futile and ineffective. I wonder exactly how many vehicles can claim to be exclusively British, German, French, Japanese etc etc. Not many I suspect. I dare say looking back through history it is a wonder that anyone buys anything from anyone. At some point every nation has had disagreements with other nations but I see no merit in adopting a vendetta against anyone for past problems now resolved. Given the purchase of a car is probably the second most expensive purchase most people make it simply deserves a rational approach before committing.

Cheers Concrete

Alternatives to EU made cars - daveyK_UK
I do know from Chinese clients that the idea in Shanghai of buying a Japanese made or manufactured car is unthinkable ; while they agree Toyota and Honda are the best they cannot contemplate buying a Japanese car.

I once worked with a guy who was married to a Spanish lady who work in local government; all the cars the council purchased were Seats or Ford (did Ford have a Spanish factory?). She said it was dreadfully uneconomical as not only did other brands know they had no chance competing for contracts and hardly bothered to tender but Seat and Ford would often over egg their prices and not care about missing deadlines or any quality issues as they knew they would get the contracts regardless.

A lack of completion is awful; beware of Red Jeremy.
Alternatives to EU made cars - Heidfirst
I once worked with a guy who was married to a Spanish lady who work in local government; all the cars the council purchased were Seats or Ford (did Ford have a Spanish factory?).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Valencia_Body_and_Assem...y

Alternatives to EU made cars - Smileyman
I do know from Chinese clients that the idea in Shanghai of buying a Japanese made or manufactured car is unthinkable ; while they agree Toyota and Honda are the best they cannot contemplate buying a Japanese car. I once worked with a guy who was married to a Spanish lady who work in local government; all the cars the council purchased were Seats or Ford (did Ford have a Spanish factory?).

Yes, Fords are made in Spain and I believe the Nissan Pulsar was also built in Spain (it's a Renault car re-engineered for Nissan). Mrs Smileyman's Mazda 2 (2004) was built on a Fiesta production line in Valencia and shares components with Fords of the same era.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Ethan Edwards

I wonder if the thought of how the Japanese behaved towards us in living memory might sway the OP against all the enthusiastic advice so far? Perhaps the answer to Mr CSG's question lies in a Geely S60. The Chinese have never, AFAIK, behaved badly towards us whereas the Brits treated them atrociously in the past and have never, AFAIK, made amends. Anyway, to introduce politics into the purchase of a piece of machinery seems to me to be absurd. The tone of the OP's post brings to mind Wilde......'...patriotism is the virtue of the vicious...'.

Google Yangtse Incident. China's out

Alternatives to EU made cars - Heidfirst

The question now is what equivalent car to buy that is not EU made?

Thought about a Jaguar?

Alternatives to EU made cars - Zippy123

Thought about a Jaguar?

They are owned by Indians so probably out as well - remember the Indian Mutiny?

Some are also made abroad.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Smileyman

Shame there is nothing made in Australia these days, it would have been an ideal alternative source, already RHD so the biggest hurdle removed.

I know some have strong views about buying German cars, others have equally valid views about Japanese cars, (and products in general) however with the passage of time things have changed, and if opinions cannot be updated to the present I would say just how far back in history should one go?

BTW I don't consider UK treatment of EU shocking, joining the EEC was an appropriate initiative that went very wrong when it became EU. The divorce is just mechanics, however not having a future deal in place from the start (01 November 2019) is an utter madness for all parties and unfortunately there will be casualties taken on both sides. Accountability ... matter for another forum!

Edited by Smileyman on 26/08/2019 at 22:24

Alternatives to EU made cars - brettmick
I voted remain but for many years have attempted to buy British for everything possible - the economic principles and advantages to the UK are so overwhelming.

I have been looking at UK cars and they are mainly the Nissan Qashqai, certain Mini models, Toyota Corolla, most of the Jags and Land Rovers.

I think I’ll lease a Qashqai as the replacement for the Zafira - half decent car, very good price, keeps my fellow countrymen in work and keeps the balance of trade deficit down a tiny bit.

On this point, look where stuff you buy is made. Why buy a greeting card from China not Britain? Or hand cream, or dog food? I don’t understand the Brexit voting neighbour with the huge BMW and the (illegal?) German style UK number plates and DE sticker in the back.
Alternatives to EU made cars - gordonbennet
I don’t understand the Brexit voting neighbour with the huge BMW and the (illegal?) German style UK number plates and DE sticker in the back.

I'm a Brexiteer, but like you for many years i would only buy British, one day i realised i was one of only a handful doing so, and Belling confirmed why i should stop.

Wanted a new microwave, went round all the sheds, all Chinese, eventually went into one shop and there staring at me from the shelf was a Belling, resplendent with large Union flag emblem of the front door...larger version of the badge that Rover stuck on their City Tatas...what's stamped on the back of said microwave?, yup made in China...half of uour industry decision makers deserved to go broke, sadly it wasn't them who did it was usually the innocent workforce.

I don’t understand the Brexit voting neighbour with the huge BMW and the (illegal?) German style UK number plates and DE sticker in the back.

I'm a Brexiteer, but like you for many years i would only buy British, one day i realised i was one of only a handful doing so, and Belling confirmed why i should stop.

Wanted a new microwave, went round all the sheds, all Chinese, eventually went into one shop and there staring at me from the shelf was a Belling, resplendent with large Union flag emblem of the front door...larger version of the badge that Rover stuck on their City Tatas...what's stamped on the back of said microwave?, yup made in China...half of uour industry decision makers deserved to go broke, sadly it wasn't them who did it was usually the innocent workforce.

There are a few things made in Britain such as my Dualit toaster. But my Kenwood Chef once made in England is now made in China. I worked for a company selling made in England passport readers. All parts were made in China, and assembled in England. It is very hard to compete except on quality.

<< There are a few things made in Britain such as my Dualit toaster. >>

Our experience of Dualit products is not encouraging. They seem to be overpriced, clumsily designed, and needlessly bright and shiny. And given their prices they don't last long enough.

Alternatives to EU made cars - Terry W

Think about what car you would buy if politics did not intrude into the decision.

If you then choose to purchase a different brand/model the price is measured in either £££ or your perceived qualitty/function.

If you are happy with the sacrifice, that's fine. That no one else notices or questions your final purchasing decision is probably not the point.

I also doubt that it will make any real difference to anyone - cutting off nose to spite face comes to mind.

Thank you for all the replies to my original query. I have not had time to reply until now - I run my own business and have been very busy just recently.

The Mercedes order has been cancelled. Dealer refunded my deposit without a quibble.

I must say that the referendum was a Damascene conversion for me. For something over 25 years I have purchased new BMW or Mercedes cars. However following the referendum result I have come to the realisation that the EU, and especially Germany, are not our friends. In fact the cesspit EU is nothing more than the Fourth Reich in disguise, peddling its own pernicious brand of Socialism. Collectively, by not buying German products, we can thwart their ambitions. I have already replaced my Miele washing machine with a Samsung.

My Grandfather and Father fought in WWI and WWII respectively. I always remember my Grandfather referring to the German language as 'the language of cannibals'. He hated the Germans with a passion and I remember from childhood his war stories - he used to tell us how on one occasion he used a rock to pound the head of a captured German until it was a red paste.

Obviously Lexus is an alternative, however I am not keen to support the Japanese either. I had an uncle who was in Singapore when it fell to the Japanese and he was treated abominably. Jaguar is probably where I need to go. I have never owned a Jaguar, being wary of their quality, however I guess now is the time to support our domestic manufacturers. I'll be off to the dealer once my workload eases a little. I will report back in due course.

I would urge everyone to follow Richard Tice (Leader of the Brexit Party) a thoroughly decent chap who attended the same school as me (Uppingham), although he's a couple of years younger!

Thank you for all the replies to my original query. I have not had time to reply until now - I run my own business and have been very busy just recently.

The Mercedes order has been cancelled. Dealer refunded my deposit without a quibble.

I must say that the referendum was a Damascene conversion for me. For something over 25 years I have purchased new BMW or Mercedes cars. However following the referendum result I have come to the realisation that the EU, and especially Germany, are not our friends. In fact the cesspit EU is nothing more than the Fourth Reich in disguise, peddling its own pernicious brand of Socialism. Collectively, by not buying German products, we can thwart their ambitions. I have already replaced my Miele washing machine with a Samsung.

My Grandfather and Father fought in WWI and WWII respectively. I always remember my Grandfather referring to the German language as 'the language of cannibals'. He hated the Germans with a passion and I remember from childhood his war stories - he used to tell us how on one occasion he used a rock to pound the head of a captured German until it was a red paste.

Obviously Lexus is an alternative, however I am not keen to support the Japanese either. I had an uncle who was in Singapore when it fell to the Japanese and he was treated abominably. Jaguar is probably where I need to go. I have never owned a Jaguar, being wary of their quality, however I guess now is the time to support our domestic manufacturers. I'll be off to the dealer once my workload eases a little. I will report back in due course.

I would urge everyone to follow Richard Tice (Leader of the Brexit Party) a thoroughly decent chap who attended the same school as me (Uppingham), although he's a couple of years younger!

So you grandparent commitment murder! If someone is captured they are a prisoner and even in WW1 subject to protection! Shame he did hang for it really! And all this hatred for the Germans didn’t stop you buying their products for so many years when it suited! What a hypocrite!

Edited by Zippy123 on 07/09/2019 at 15:30

Grandfather is long dead now, and of course the Germans are guilty of far far worse.

I put my hand up to having been wrong in the past in buying German products and assisting in their domination of Europe (which is quite undeniable). I am seeking to make amends by divesting myself of German/EU products and buying only from our allies, which is what this thread is about. Hopefully a free trade deal with the US is coming soon and that will certain open up options.

Hopefully a free trade deal with the US is coming soon and that will certain open up options.

Ha - have you dealt with US companies recently - I have and seriously wonder if its worth our while - they are not our allies or true friends - just because they speak the same language.

Grandfather is long dead now, and of course the Germans are guilty of far far worse.

That doesn't excuse his behavior at all. He was clearly an evil person. How does that feel?

And for the wars. WW1 was because the royal families and previous empires were greedy. It was never about right or wrong. Our forebears on both sides were duped by our leaders.

WW2. Please learn to differentiate between the Nazis and their allies and the German people.

Hopefully a free trade deal with the US is coming soon and that will certain open up options.

Ha - have you dealt with US companies recently - I have and seriously wonder if its worth our while - they are not our allies or true friends - just because they speak the same language.

That doesn't excuse his behavior at all. He was clearly an evil person. How does that feel?

And for the wars. WW1 was because the royal families and previous empires were greedy. It was never about right or wrong. Our forebears on both sides were duped by our leaders.

WW2. Please learn to differentiate between the Nazis and their allies and the German people.

Wow! Quite the apologist for the Germans. And the Americans not our friends or allies? A Remoaner no doubt, and a dangerous one at that.

Edited by CommonSenseGuy on 07/09/2019 at 20:08

Wow! Quite the apologist for the Germans. And the Americans not our friends or allies? A Remoaner no doubt, and a dangerous one at that.

If we are trading insults, at least my father and grandfathers served with distinction and didn't beat to death an unarmed combatant.

One joined up under age and was very badly wounded on the front yet managed to make a full recovery, start a family and happily worked with people of all nationalities after WW1 and WW2 until he passed away in the 1980s. He never, ever said a bad word about the Germans, commenting that most were boys like us and only mentioned of his injuries that he was very badly wounded by a shell, found and repatriated.

Generally wars are against enemy states, the people and fighting personnel are caught up in it. The states that were here in the early 1900s are no longer here today.

In WW1 murderers were hanged. Contemplate on what that would (and perhaps should) have meant for you!

You have no idea on the way I voted and if I have changed my mind or not or even who I vote for in an election.

I deal with companies from around the world on a daily basis and report how I see it.

I also travel around extensively on business and see both SMEs and large international corporations and know who I prefer dealing with and where I get the best deals (for both me and the customer) and it certainly is not the USA.

BTW most Americans I deal with think that a hard Brexit is madness and compare it to the State of New York, Texas or California leaving the Union - it just wouldn't happen without a civil war and the general view is that we are lucky it hasn't happened here.

Edited by Zippy123 on 07/09/2019 at 22:50

Whilst I understand the feelings of those who directly fought against German (and Japanese) soldiers in WWII, this does not mean that people who never lived in that period or who have done anything remotely bad should pay the price until the End of Time for what their forebears did - people do change. Yes, we may disagree with what people and governments of other countries do, but we cannot tarr them all with the same brush, nor can we just compare them with those from 75+ years ago just because they share the same heritage. Their actions today count.

And whilst I have no problem and would favour buying a British product that at least matched that of foreign competitors, unless a country was doing something so dire or the firm in question had dubious background or how they produced their products, I would not worry too much about buying things from them.

I (like, I suspect, Mr Tice would do) show solidarity with our US and Commonwealth trading partners at a time when the EU (different to the people of Europe) is hardly being friendly towards us, I wouldn't take it to the extreme of boycotting everything from the Continent or Germany in particular. People naively (in my view) used to 'buy British', especially in terms of cars, which encouraged stagnation in that industry and a raft of poor quality products being offered for sale.

Your grandfather behaved abominably and deserved to be imprisoned. You cr8ticise the Japanese and yet they did not behave as badly as your grand pops. The EU is not a cesspit, but it is or a cradle of Socialism. It favours big business. Freedom of movement favours big business who don’t want to pay lots for native labour. No tariffs suits big business. Being able to set up a factory in a cheap country favours big business. A lot of the laws are created to favour big business over small eg laws that make it expensive to breed new plant varieties.

And here’s naive me, thinking this was a motoring forum...

Sounds to me as if someone has been radicalised from birth. Perpetual hatred never did anyone much good - witness the situation in N.Ireland where there are just enough making sure that the feud doesn't die so things never get much better.

A main purpose of the EU was to prevent that kind of thinking. On the whole I think it may have succeeded. One person deciding not to buy a German car can only make a very marginal difference - except maybe to that person, whose conscience will probably benefit.

I thought the EU were being rather straight with us - here are our terms and red lines - the main one being you cannot have the same t&cs outside of the club as in it! Of course those that “want their cake” see that as being all mean and nasty. Btw, the EU have not been “dissing” the UK in the same way that the UK have been to them. Oh, and you may as well cross Japanese cars off your list as well, because we asked them for a trade deal on the same terms that they have just negotiated with the EU and the effectively said FO, you don’t have the same clout outside of the EU. What about the new Dyson car? Well he sodded of to the Far East to manufacture in a country that has just agreed great terms with the EU!
Alternatives to EU made cars - Avant

Thread closed: too much politics. "Common Sense Guy" if you post again on this forum, please stick to motoring in this section.