The sensible option - SLO76
Tasked with finding a good used car for brother in law for up to £7,000 I started looking at my usual default choices, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Toyota Auris and Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. It never ceases to impress me how many excellent cars you can buy for so little money. There really is no need to buy an overpriced new car at all. Standing in the local Honda showroom looking at the new Jazz auto at over £19,000 horrified me.

I finally cut it down to a 64 plate Toyota Auris 1.4 diesel with 28,000 miles at £6495 and a 63 plate Honda Civic 1.4 with 53,000 miles at £5995. Both were in excellent order and drove spot on but the Civic is just that wee bit nicer inside and the metallic white paint particularly nice so we went for that. £5,800 with a years warranty for a 63 plate approved used Honda Civic that drives exactly as it did when new is to me fine value and hopefully this one will last as long as the one I sold his brother several years back. It’s 18yrs old and still doing a daily 120 mile commute reliably.

Forget badge snobbery, why worry about how fast it is? If you want a reliable used car on a budget it’s hard to beat a Civic. Even this lowly 1.4 went along the road well enough. It’ll sit all day at 100mph if you do desired.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/08/2019 at 16:22

The sensible option - mcintosh
I was considering a Civic 1.4 a few months ago but was concerned it might be underpowered, especially at motorway speeds. Never got round to a test drive as we found an Auris hybrid which we really liked. Interesting to read that you found the 1.4 drove fine.

I take it you think diesel can still be a good buy, depending on the model. When I was looking some models (the Kia Ceed springs to mind) which were mostly available used as diesels, often at keen prices for the spec. I don't do diesel mileage but probably enough to keep a DPF clean - it did make me wonder if I was missing out on some bargains.

Edited by mcintosh on 18/08/2019 at 22:19

I’m quite a relaxed driver and while I like to get where I’m going I find that most cars have enough power. The Civic was far from fast but it was perfectly acceptable if you let it rev. Power isn’t really a worry through the town and on motorways it’ll do more than 100mph so again it has enough. In B road driving it’ll require a bit more effort to overtake but again it’s easy to flick down a gear or two.

Ideally I would’ve picked an 1800 but you can only pick from what is available at the time and none were presenting themselves within budget and in this shape within reasonable range. The 1.4’s tend to be owned privately and by older folks too so condition is often a bit better. This one had came back to the original supplying dealer in exchange for a newer Jazz which speaks volumes.

I would still buy a diesel but not a cheap one and only a limited number are reliable in my opinion with all the emissions control equipment on them. The Honda 1.6 DTEC is one and Hyundai/Kia’s 1.6 is another. Toyota’s own 1.4 and 2.0 units are ok too but can suffer DPF issues a bit earlier than the other two. Much depends on maintenance and type of use however.
The sensible option - mcintosh
The 1.4 interested me as it was a good bit cheaper than the available 1.8s. I'm far from a boy racer myself so in retrospect it would probably have suited me just fine. I got used to revving our previous Honda Jazz to get the best out of it.
The sensible option - craig-pd130
I would still buy a diesel but not a cheap one and only a limited number are reliable in my opinion with all the emissions control equipment on them. The Honda 1.6 DTEC is one and Hyundai/Kia’s 1.6 is another. Toyota’s own 1.4 and 2.0 units are ok too but can suffer DPF issues a bit earlier than the other two. Much depends on maintenance and type of use however.

Out of curiosity, would you put the 2.0 Ford/PSA lump (the non-Eolys versions as used in Mondeos' etc) in the 'reliable' category? I had one in a Mondeo IV for 4 years and it was a very good everyday car, if a little dull. Not a single problem with the motor or DPF, it seemed to me at the time that Ford got the DPF implementation in that car right first time.

The sensible option - Falkirk Bairn

A son & DiL have a 4 yr old 320d & a 8 yr old Lexus CT.

The Ct is 8 & 80K and they were looking to change it out.

The 320D is sitting on 30K BUT with a job change in the offing he needs to drive rather than train it. He was looking to buy a new car for the commute..............what should I buy?

My answer was nothing - apart from the "alloys flaking" the car is 100% - no repairs, serviced every 12 months - the ideal commuter - he can put on maybe another 80K without too much bother if the Taxi drivers are to be believed.

£6K T/I value and having to fork out maybe another £15K to get a "nice car" is madness.

Will he take my advice? probably not - he didn't the last time & forked out £30K for the BMW.

The sensible option - skidpan

Having driven a 1.8 Civic we had as a pool car at work, like all the other staff who used it I found it dreadfully slow and unresponsive unless you ragged it over 5000 rpm, it went well enough then.

The 1400 in the Civic was from memory the 1400 DSi used in the Jazz but fitted with a 6 speed box. That engine in the Jazz was not fast, in the bigger Civic it must have been a Sloth.

Buying an underpowered car can be an expensive mistake, when you have driven it in the real world with a real load of people it can be the time for major regrets.

What appears OK on a limited test can be very misleading.

The sensible option - Avant

And yet, as you and many other have found, a 1.4 engine is easily able to pull a Octavia or Superb along.

Torque must be the difference. I'm no boy-racer, but I like to get a move on; and engines which are at their best only at the top end of the rev range don't suit me. I never liked SWMBO's succession of Mini Coopers for that reason.

The sensible option - Engineer Andy

And yet, as you and many other have found, a 1.4 engine is easily able to pull a Octavia or Superb along.

Torque must be the difference. I'm no boy-racer, but I like to get a move on; and engines which are at their best only at the top end of the rev range don't suit me. I never liked SWMBO's succession of Mini Coopers for that reason.

I suppose it depends upon how sedate someone is as a driver, what car they owned before (i.e. what they are used to) and wheteher their requirements have changed.

Obviously a N/A 1.4 will have nowhere near the torque, let alone the power of a turbocharged version, even a lightly turbocharged one like the 122PS VAG 1.4 as a minimum, never mind the higher output versions.

I once had a mid 90s Nissan Almera 1.4 for a day when my Micra 1.0 was in for service - obviously a smaller car than the Civic (about the size and weight of the Jazz though), but compared to my Micra, which wasn't the slowest car on the road (VW Polo 1.0 40PS) at the time, the Almera went like a rocket.

I suspect that, like with yourself and Skidpan, once you've driven a car with a more powerful engine, especially one renowned for mid-range grunt, going back to an older-design concept N/A engine and having to rag it to make decent progress to match just doesn't cut the mustard.

By all accounts, the previous gen Civic with its 1.4 and especially 1.8 petrol engines are somewhat of a 'Marmite' experience - you either love them or hate them. Once again, I find it a right shame that certain aspects of VAGs really lets the side down, such as those of us who would like an auto box that actually is smooth, safe and reliable over the long term in all driving circumstances.

Looks like you guys got the sweet spot with those chosen - its a shame that the decent amount of goodwill gained by the 1.4TSI manual has taken a big hit with its replacement in the 1.5TSI EVO, as we can see on the thread on that engine's continuing issues.

The sensible option - Alby Back
I've made plenty of sensible life decisions, and indeed a few reckless ones along the way. The latter were, by and large, way more fun, in their defence. ;-)

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy S--- what a ride!' " ~ Hunter S. Thompson.
The sensible option - John F
I've made plenty of sensible life decisions, and indeed a few reckless ones along the way. The latter were, by and large, way more fun, in their defence. ;-) "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy S--- what a ride!' " ~ Hunter S. Thompson.

I trust you either do not, or did not, plan to blow your brains out aged 67 as per Mr Thompson - who thus thankfully ensured the world was spared any more of his alcoholic ravings.....

“The 1400 in the Civic was from memory the 1400 DSi used in the Jazz but fitted with a 6 speed box. That engine in the Jazz was not fast, in the bigger Civic it must have been a Sloth.”

They did use that engine in the Civic from 2006 until it was replaced by the 1.4 VTEC with another 20bhp. Yes the earlier motor wasn’t pleasant in the Civic but it was reliable while the later VTEC unit is quicker, sweeter revving and better on fuel on top of this. It’s no speed machine but perfectly capable of sitting at limit bursting speeds on the motorway all day. I’d be quite happy with one unless my driving was mostly on twisting B roads where the torque of the diesels would sway me to spend a bit more.
“Buying an underpowered car can be an expensive mistake, when you have driven it in the real world with a real load of people it can be the time for major regrets.

What appears OK on a limited test can be very misleading.”

You have to fully assess a car taking into account your needs and insist on a decent test drive to be sure it’ll fit. This one will mostly contain a 50 plus driver who cares nothing for speed and his wife, possibly hairy baby in the boot too. If it were to be a heavily laden family hack I’d’ve suggested spending more on a diesel example but for this owner the simple and utterly dependable 1.4 will do just fine.

To be honest I’m a bit James May when it comes to cars. Outright power and performance aren’t of much importance to me. The greatest four wheeled joy I’ve had has come at the wheel of simple front wheel drive superminis with limited power and grip. Give me a Suzuki Swift over a Ferrari on any UK twisting B road any day.
The sensible option - skidpan

Avant, have you not read the specs.

The VAG 1.4 TSi 150 has 150 PS from 5-6000 rpm and 184 torques from 1500 to 3500 rpm.

The 1.4 DSi in the Civic has no turbo for starters, it had 80 bhp @ 5800 rpm and 88 torques @ 2800 rpm. The later version VVTi still had no turbo but had 98 bhp at 6000 rpm and 94 torques @ 4800 rpm.

Go figure why the VAG engine will pull an Octavia or Superb yet the Honda engines struggle with a Civic.

To be honest I’m a bit James May when it comes to cars. Outright power and performance aren’t of much importance to me.

Me neither but I want enough performance to make the car pleasant to drive and capable of making the occasional safe overtake.

The sensible option - Engineer Andy
To be honest I’m a bit James May when it comes to cars. Outright power and performance aren’t of much importance to me.

Me neither but I want enough performance to make the car pleasant to drive and capable of making the occasional safe overtake.

Agreed. Giving a car a thrash to overtake is great when you're in the mood for a bit of fun on a road you know very well, but I certainly wouldn't want to do that every time, especially when in poor weather, commuting or on unfamiliar roads, such as when I'm on holiday.

I could fully understand someone like my OAP parents getting such an underpowered car, because they don't do much driving, the vast majority is local and they are very risk averse anyway, so wouldn't overtake much (probably why the rest of us get so ticked off when we're behind a queue of car unwilling to overtake a slow-moving vehicle, even if it would be safe (ordinarily) to do so.

I bet a lot of those sort of cars (when I bought my Mazda3 1.6 N/A petrol, a 1.4 entry-level version [84PS / 94ft-lb] was available) were just sold for tax benefits and later emissions (to meet corporate CO2 levels) reasons rather than out of any demand.

Comfort, reliability, reasonable looks and handling, a bit of poke without deafening me, reasonable price. Not much to ask.

The sensible option - Avant

"Avant, have you not read the specs?"

If you'd read my second para, Skidpan, you'd see that I did indeed ascribe the difference to torque; the implication being that people need to look closely at the specs, even of engines of a similar capacity - and also test drve them.

Brother in law picked up his Civic yesterday and is absolutely delighted with it. Wasn’t concerned if he wasn’t as swmbo wanted it instead of Polo for her university commute.