Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - Finley ODK

Hi,

I need an estate car and I have narrowed my search down to a Toyota Avensis or a Hyundai. I40. Both Diesel and the upper end of trim levels. Has anyone got any advice on reliability, engines etc?

Thanks in advance.

Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - badbusdriver

What age and price are we talking about here?.

From reading previous posts, i believe the Avensis diesel, depending on age, uses a BMW diesel, which isn't that reliable. If that is going to be the case with the cars you are looking at, then the Hyundai would be my choice out of those two. Just be aware that if the Hyundai is still 'under warranty', that warranty will only be valid with full dealer history (regardless of what the seller, or indeed the law, in theory, says!)

Depending on budget, i'd also suggest you look at the Honda Civic estate diesel. This, while technically from the next size down than the Avensis/i40, is an extremely spacious car with an enormous boot (pretty sure it is bigger than your two choices). It has a very reliable engine and is capable of very high mpg (60+ easily).

Thanks for your help. Here a couple of links to the cars I'm interested in if you don't mind having a look. I did think about the Honda Civic.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190318601...3

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190624935...3

Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - Heidfirst

The 2015> Avensis facelift uses supposedly modified versions of the BMW N47. The 1.6 imo is probably a bit weedy as stock but the 2.0 should be fine (& both should be relatively easy to get remapped should you be so inclined). Business Ed Plus should have lots of toys. :

The linked car will still be under warranty assuming that it has been serviced according to schedule (every 1 year/12,500 miles or if the diagnostics indicate earlier - whichever comes first) & should you so wish can be extended up until 12. It has a lot fewer miles on it than the linked i40.

Have you actually looked at the 2 models in the metal & test-driven?

Edited by Heidfirst on 15/08/2019 at 18:58

Thanks for your information. I'm hoping to go for a look this weekend.

Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - SLO76
Although the chain driven BMW motor that’s in the Avensis doesn’t have the best reputation much of it is down to the two year service intervals many fleet BMW’s are on from new. If it has a full Toyota history with proof of oil changes EVERY year then it’ll likely be fine we’ll into six figures. If it has a full dealer history it’ll have some of the original 5yr warranty left. If it’s been run on a shoestring (as many lease and PCP cars are) then avoid it.

Here’s another two I spotted. The Civic is amazingly economical and very practical. It goes well and has an excellent reputation for reliability. Resale will be easy too. But as always the best stock stays with main dealers who will buy up anything decent so check carefully that it has a full dealer history and the paint is right before buying.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190801069...2

Liked this too. With a dealer history it has the rest of its 7yr warranty left too as long as you maintain that dealer service record. Basically the same car as the i40 but I think nicer to look at.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190715007...5

Edited by SLO76 on 16/08/2019 at 00:28

Thank you everyone. I've got a lot to think about!

Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - Avant

I think your first thoughts should be on whether you go for petrol or diesel. Diesels, even Japanese ones, have more potential to go expensively wrong as the miles mount up - so the extra economy is only really worth it if you do over 15,000 miles a year.

The Avensis is a good place to start either way; but if you look at a Mazda 6, then stick to petrol. Honda Accord Touring and Skoda Octavia estate could be on the shortllist too.

Toyota Avensis Touring Sports - Advice needed! - Engineer Andy

Thank you everyone. I've got a lot to think about!

Got a budget in mind? Some Focus-sized cars (like the Civic) can still have huge boots, but come in 10-20% less in terms of purchase cost than the Mondeo/Avensis type cars. Admitedly that price difference does really depend on the car, as some are far more popular than others.

I presume from you posting Autotrader links that you can't afford a new car? I ask, as the all new Corolla has a very nice estate version, although the best engine (2.0 hybrid) is rather expensive when new.

I suspect it, as Avant says, really depends on both your budget (include running/maintenance costs per year - diesels may not be as realieble long term as petrols and their more complex [emissions reducing] parts are expensive to repair/replace) and usage profile - annual mileage and made up of what type and length journeys. Do you need it for towing at all?