Tight budget car - noutchy

Hi all,

Any help much appreciated. Looking for a cheap second run around for September (required for school run/getting to work whilst other half has other car). We are on a painfully small budget of £800-£1000.

I know it's very much a gamble at this price but have a few in mind. Generally looking for something small and cheap on insurance (and tax if poss). With good service history too. So just asking the earth :).

Would love an opinion of any of the links below from anyone who feels they would like to help me out!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-GRANDE-PUNTO-1-2/143353286...y

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-1-3-vvti/163811297...i

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kia-Picanto-2010/273963542588?h...j

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-KIA-PICANTO-1-0-GS-5-DO...t

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Megane-Scenic-Fidji-200...k

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kia-Picanto-1-0-Zipp/1138472291...M

Tight budget car - elekie&a/c doctor
Out of all of these , the Yaris would be your Best Buy at budget money. How about a Focus 1600 petrol ? Plenty around sub £1000 , and pretty much indestructible if you stick to the Mk1 model up to 2005.

Thanks for reply. Had a focus mk1 but cambelt went before 100,000 miles. It was a 1.6 too - kept the oil topped up and everything. So kind of not so keen on them now. I suppose never say never. I do lots of short journeys for my work so a bit of a car-killer in terms of that. Yaris sounds good.

Tight budget car - Engineer Andy

Not many about, but the gen-1 Mazda2 petrol (chain cam engine) might do. A lot of people recommend its Ford Fusion sister car for the decent use of space (especially the boot with easy loading).

The Fusion itself in 1.4 petrol form (chain cam Ford Zetec engine similar to the 1.25, both Yamaha-derived units) would also be worth a look, if you can get a later model with the stability control to make it handle better.

Not sure if that would be in budget, but worth a look. Neither are pretty, but are decent enough to drive, and practical for such a small car, more so than their replacements in that regard.

Its bigger brother the Mazda3 1.6 petrol would do fine, though it may be a bit big if your choices are limited to Fiesta-sized cars - you can certainly get a well-cared for (a gen-1 car like mine) one for about £1k, though they are susceptible to rust. Mine's still ok, so others may be. The chain-cam 1.6 engine is a very durable engine - mine has never missed a beat in 13 years of continuous ownership from new. The one slight downside compared to the Fords is that parts are more expensive.

The Yaris would probably still be my choice though for the ultimate reliable A to B small car, with the Jazz not far behind. Just get the minimum spec car possible to get you the newest model possible. A well-kept example from a retiree would probably do best.

Tight budget car - carl duck

(Repeat of post above)

Edited by Avant on 13/08/2019 at 10:56

I think that a Fiat panda would be a great buy. Plenty to choose from and if you can get a 1.2 eleganza then you get all the trappings. Space is good. Mpg 50 plus. Tax £140. These do have a timing belt so check to see if this has been changed as required. The water pumps can leak.

I like Fiats they are reliable and a good used buy.

Tight budget car - badbusdriver

Thanks for reply. Had a focus mk1 but cambelt went before 100,000 miles. It was a 1.6 too - kept the oil topped up and everything. So kind of not so keen on them now.

Not very fair ruling out the Focus because of this. The belt will deteriorate over time, so should be replaced as a matter of course regardless of what the mileage is.

As to your list, at this price point there are no guarantees, as even the most reliable of cars can and will let you down if subjected to 15+ years of neglect, poor servicing and bad driving. Buy on condition, ideally from a private seller who has owned the car for a number of years. You can't really be too fussy as there are plenty of really nice cars out there waiting to be found. At the age of car you will be looking at, rust could well be a factor, so have a good look. Use this website to check the MOT history (www.gov.uk/check-mot-history), which will give an indication of how well a car has been looked after.

I like Fiats they are reliable and a good used buy.

Fiat in general tend to come about the bottom of any reliability surveys, so this statement really shouldn't be taken as fact.

Hovever, a basic Panda 1.2 should be a fine little runabout, classless, characterful, and a much better buy than a Grand Punto.

Tight budget car - SLO76
I’d leave the Fiat and go take a look at the Picanto in white and the Yaris. Both are reliable and very cheap to run. Get underneath it as rot will be the big worry at this age. If it checks out I’d favour the Yaris.
Tight budget car - nellyjak

For me it would be the Yaris,...every time.!

As with anything it is what is available at the time. I just bought an 04 Fiat Panda 1.2 with 27000 miles on it. It’s in like new condition and cost me £900 private. It was a one owner car elderly gent and always garaged.

I looked at a few cars and thought the Panda was the best bet. They were made until 2012 and working in the industry I know that they are no more unreliable than any other car. In fact, like most cars they will need brakes, tyres, brushes at some stage. The idea that Fiats are unrealistic me is a bit of a fallacy. At the end of the day you are buying a car that is coming to the end of its predicted lifespan and at some point it is likely that you might have to spend some money.

Lots of factors impact on how a car lasts.

A small city car like this is more likely to be used for shorter journeys do a service history is best so you know that oil and filters have been changed.

As for the timing belt that should be checked and changed every 5 years on a Panda. These Fiats have a Fire engine so if the belt does go your engine is protected.

The most reliable cars in my opinion are Honda, Hyundai and Suzuki. I have sold cars for 40 years and that’s just my current view.

Thanks all for advice - checked out the Yaris. Everything was fine for age (exceptionally tight feeling), except a little nervous about the rust on the back of the car where the spare wheel well was. It was fine on the inside of the wheel well. Serviced every year except last and generally looked after well. Might stick a bid in.

Thanks all for advice - checked out the Yaris. Everything was fine for age (exceptionally tight feeling), except a little nervous about the rust on the back of the car where the spare wheel well was. It was fine on the inside of the wheel well. Serviced every year except last and generally looked after well. Might stick a bid in.

MOT history looks pretty good for a car of that age, nothing to really worry about.

Re the spare wheel, your comments are unclear, but i'm guessing the rust you see is on the outside, underneath, but inside the well is fine?. If that is the case, and you get the car, just make sure one of your 1st jobs is to rub down the outside of the well and give it a good coating of underseal to stop it getting any worse.

Tight budget car - S40 Man

If you only need it for September can you get a deal on long term rental? This may be more expensive overall but you won't have the risk of buying a Lennon which could actually prove more expensive in the end, if something gives out

Normally I'd advice 2nd have option, it may depend if you will get any benefit from a car moving forwards.

S40 man.

Apologies - I realise I didn't write both posts very clearly - it's for hopefully at least a year (or 2) rather than just September.

re. the rust - you understood correctly badbusdriver. Sealing was what I was thinking, so helpful to have that confirmed.

Ended up with a Citroen C2 - 50k miles, 54 plate. Got from a dealer but one of the better dealers I have dealt with. The C2 is obviously not the experts choice, especially at this age but is in great condition for a 2004 car. Most of the Yaris' I looked at were wrecks and I couldn't quite stretch to a decent enough picanto (which I would have really liked due to cheap tax/insurance/repair costs). The C2 will do however! Years MOT with only one advisory.

Thanks again for your advice all.

Tight budget car - SLO76
Condition is more important than make and model plus mechanically the C2 is actually quite robust plus they resist rot well. It’s the electrics that are weak but if everything works it’ll do fine.

Always think it’s nice to hear those ‘what happened next’ stories when people ask about what cars to buy. Well the 2004 C2 cost me £900 and is still going 4 years later at 20 years old. But at a cost…! 6 months in it developed a head gasket failure, which I had done having only had the car for such a brief time, you are kind of invested still. Had the clutch done at the same time. Then there was a steady trickle of replacements and weird leaks in the boot. Most if not all of this was DIY. Then the head gasket went again in December! I knew this engine (1.1 petrol) had this issue, however I have only done 17,000 (careful) miles in the last 4 years. Couldn’t believe it. Having spent the bit of extra money we had on knocking a wall down in our kitchen and no spare cash to find another banger (what happened to the car market in the last 3 years?!) I had no choice but to tackle the gasket myself. About 5 YouTube videos and a Haynes manual later (plus some mate’s tools), I managed it in 3 days all in. I’ll never recommend a French car but it has taught me a heck of a lot of skills…! It is currently running sweetly (my next job is the valve clearances) and still very little rust problems underneath. Hopefully I can squeeze another year or so out of it. To be fair to it, the electrics have been ok except for the rear wiper, which started to turn on every time I pressed the brake… so I just disconnected it.

I’m back in the market for a large estate or mpv for c. 5k. Just missed out on a lovely 1.6 Astra Sports Tourer 2013. Any other good estates to recommend? You just don’t get as many of them as you used to. And petrols are like hen’s teeth. I looked at a Mondeo 1.6 EcoBoost but then read up about the issues with that engine so left it… pity as they are a nice looking estate.

Tight budget car - Andrew-T

If you only need it for September can you get a deal on long term rental? This may be more expensive overall but you won't have the risk of buying a Lennon which could actually prove more expensive in the end, if something gives out.

Buying a Lennon - now that's a new one on me :-) Sounds rather expensive ...

If you only need it for September can you get a deal on long term rental? This may be more expensive overall but you won't have the risk of buying a Lennon which could actually prove more expensive in the end, if something gives out.

Buying a Lennon - now that's a new one on me :-) Sounds rather expensive ...

Not if it's a Julian...

Tight budget car - SteveLee

A small Jap car - forget anything else - go off piste slightly - everyone will say Toyota Yaris (true they're excellent) but a Daihatsu Sirion has exactly the same mechanicals but fewer toys so are lighter (more sprightly and fuel efficient) and cheaper. They tend to be bought as "last cars" by pensioners so are generally low mileage and well cared for. Also Suzukis don't hold their value as well as better known Toyotas - but are generally even more reliable for the same reasons and again there are lots of one/two-owner pensioner-owned examples around. These days early Micras and Yarises are often snapped up by undocumented individuals to be used as fast food delivery vehicles, so there are lots of really knackered examples around near big cities.

Tight budget car - madf

DO NOT buy a 2002 to 2008 Honda Jazz. Virtually uninsurable due to theft of catalysts.

Tight budget car - barney100

Mate in the house maintenance trade buys the cheapest wheels he can find, all well under £1k. He's had...Mercedes E class estate, Freelander, spotted on someones drive for £800, Zafira, Jaguar estate, point is anything may be a good punt in that price range. The old Mercedes went on two or three years.

Tight budget car - skidpan

The Fusion itself in 1.4 petrol form (chain cam Ford Zetec engine similar to the 1.25, both Yamaha-derived units) would also be worth a look.

Wrong advice here.

The 1.4 petrol engine is indeed the Zetec, its actually the Yamaha designed engine and is available in 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 versions (there was a 1.7 but that was only in the Puma).

But this engine is not a chain cam type, like all engines badged as Zetec by Ford it was/is a cam belt engine.

This engine has more recently been known as the Sigma and still has a belt.

FYI the chain cam Ford engines were the Duratec used in the Mk 2 Focus (2004 on, Mk 3 Mondeo (2001 on) and were Mazda derived.

Nothing wrong with belts but like all components they have a max life. Even cam chains can break or stretch.

The Fusion itself in 1.4 petrol form (chain cam Ford Zetec engine similar to the 1.25, both Yamaha-derived units) would also be worth a look.

Wrong advice here.

The 1.4 petrol engine is indeed the Zetec, its actually the Yamaha designed engine and is available in 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 versions (there was a 1.7 but that was only in the Puma).

But this engine is not a chain cam type, like all engines badged as Zetec by Ford it was/is a cam belt engine.

This engine has more recently been known as the Sigma and still has a belt.

FYI the chain cam Ford engines were the Duratec used in the Mk 2 Focus (2004 on, Mk 3 Mondeo (2001 on) and were Mazda derived.

Nothing wrong with belts but like all components they have a max life. Even cam chains can break or stretch.

Fair enough (thanks for the correction) on whether it is belt or chain, but the advice as regards it use isn't wrong (SLO recommends them as well as I recall, as they are related to the 1.25). As with most cars, a well-maintained one should be fine, but some are more hardy when maintenance is scrimped than others - ones with chains or belts alike.

Older cars with no or very little provable maintenance history we should be wary of, at least without you having them properly inspected. A car with a belt that has recently been replaced and otherwise is fine should be ok, but with a chain, it is obviously imperative for the car to have seen fresh good quality oil on time throughout its life.

As with the Mazda-derived chain-cam engines (like the 1.8, also in the Mazda 5 and 6), they have been proven reliable, as has the one in my 1.6 petrol Mazda3, as long as they see good quality oil on time.

Some manufacturers, such as VAG, have had problems either because of the inherent design of the chains, or in their case, (IMHO) seemingly forcing their supplier to cut costs which led them to keeping their chain stamping machinery going beyond their working life, which lead to defects which were either not picked up, deliberately or not. I was apparently pure luck as to whether a car had correctly machine chains or not, and no amount of oil changes could rectify that.