Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Nobby Clark

Hi all.

Could I ask for your advice and opinions please.

Which MPV would you guys plump for of the 2 mentioned with between £1500-2K to spend.

I only cover 6-7K miles a year so it'll be a petrol version.

Other than looking for the obvious things you would look for when buying a used car.

Have any of you peeps ever owned any of the 2 mentioned at all?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Clarkie :)

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - SLO76
When shopping on a tight budget don’t limit yourself to one or two cars. In order to find a good cheap car you need to cast the net as wide as possible.

Does it absolutely have to be an MPV? Would a hatchback like a Focus or a larger Toyota Avensis suit? I agree with your choice to reject diesel here but I’d advise looking at plenty of other makes and models. All too often older MPV’s like the Picasso and Zafira have led hard lives as workhorses to builders, painters and gardeners while you’ll increase your chances of finding a good car by opening up the search.

If you must have a higher riding car then add the Ford C-Max into the mix too. The petrol engines are all based on Japanese designs and it’s a far nicer drive than the two you’ve mentioned. Not that I’d discount the Mk I Picasso or the Zafira though as both can be good budget family cars if you find one that’s not been abused. The Mazda 5 is another good big car too.

If you tell me roughly where you live I’ll look to see what’s available locally to see if anything stands out.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/08/2019 at 20:19

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Nobby Clark

Hi SLO.

Thanks for your reply.

I'd listen to all opinions as I'm not set on any car, but I mentioned those 2 makes/models as they have big boots, with plenty of leg room in the back, and I've spotted a couple for sale on Auto Trader.

The Zafira is on a 54 plate with only 46k miles, full history and only 2 owners for £1500 at a dealer near to me.

A Picasso local to me at a dealer who sold it to the last owner 11 years ago and he bought another car from them. It has 78k miles with full history and looks very tidy on a 56 plate.

Both of these have good MOT histories too!

I live near to Southend in Essex if that helps SLO.

Thanks again, Clarkie.

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - badbusdriver

Using a random Southend postcode on Autotrader, here are a few possibilities within 50 miles.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190617908...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190801069...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190717017...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190717016...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190719025...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190612894...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190803075...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190720027...1

BTW, don't get too hung up on the mileage, low miles, especially on an older car is not neccessarily a good thing. it is much more important to judge the car on condition. Also, use this website, www.gov.uk/check-mot-history, which will give an indication of how well or otherwise a car has been looked after. But it will just be an indication, and you can't really set your expectations too high for that budget.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/08/2019 at 21:34

That Corolla Verso is worthy of a look. Longterm owner, service history and the Mot history is near perfect. I’d be wary of these small time dealers as most will fake service histories etc and don’t expect any comeback at this money but it is a good model with a great reputation for longevity. The seller also has a Nissan Note that’s worthy of note. I’ll take a wee look later when I get back from a bus driver belly reducing cycle.

I spent a day looking for cars for bro in law down in Coventry recently and had to give up despite the volume of decent sounding cars in adverts the dealers were all dodgy as hell and the cars nowhere near as nice as described. I’m not saying every small dealer is crooked, just most of them. Take someone with you that knows what they’re doing.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/08/2019 at 21:54

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Big John

The older Picasso can be prone to rust on the sills - there is an area that is prone to trapping water/condensation and eventually it rusts through. Saying that the petrol is mechanically robust so if you find a good one it is worth thoroughly rust proofing inside the sill area. It is cheap to fix as the rust tends to be localised with adjacent areas still sound - but once welded unless really well done it'll soon be back!

Manual Petrol Corolla Verso a good shout but don't buy anything with the auto (automated manual)

Petrol Zafira is mechanically simple if you find a good one - some are great but I've known some real lemons.

Thank you all so much for your help.

I hope I don't sound like a snob but I'd never have thought of ever looking for a car with over 100k miles on the clock. But I reckon I'd be missing out on some beauties there!!

Out of all of the auto trader links, the Toyota Verso looks lovely, as does the Nissan Note being sold by the same seller.

Would I be right to think that a Nissan Note is not a 'proper' Nissan, but is of a Renault flavour??

I'd appreciate that very much SLO if you had a butchers for me too!!

Thanks again everyone, your help is very much appreciated.

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - barney100

Keep mentioning a bloke I know who buys at around £500 for a car for his house maintenance job. Zafira, Mercedes e class, now a Jag estate amongst others. Seems to get a couple of years from them 'til an MOT knocks them off the road.

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Big John

Would I be right to think that a Nissan Note is not a 'proper' Nissan, but is of a Renault flavour??

The 63 plate and earlier model of the petrol Note is more Nissan and in my view a better car. NB the 1.6 auto version has a good tourque converter auto box with overdrive. For a small car they are great for interior space

The 63 plate and earlier model of the petrol Note is more Nissan and in my view a better car. NB the 1.6 auto version has a good tourque converter auto box with overdrive. For a small car they are great for interior space

Oh great.... Thanks big John!

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Bromptonaut

I hope I don't sound like a snob but I'd never have thought of ever looking for a car with over 100k miles on the clock. But I reckon I'd be missing out on some beauties there!!

I've taken 3 cars to over 100k miles all Citroens - a BX, a Xantia and a Berlingo. The BX and the Xantia both went to the scrapper but neither was for engine related reasons.

Both in current fleet will hit 100k in next 12 months. We just keep on driving them and getting them serviced at correct interval.

I also would not rule out the diesel Picasso, the 2 litre/90 or 110 PS HDi is pre DPF etc and very well proven.

I've taken 3 cars to over 100k miles all Citroens - a BX, a Xantia and a Berlingo. The BX and the Xantia both went to the scrapper but neither was for engine related reasons.

Both in current fleet will hit 100k in next 12 months. We just keep on driving them and getting them serviced at correct interval.

I also would not rule out the diesel Picasso, the 2 litre/90 or 110 PS HDi is pre DPF etc and very well proven.

Thanks Bromptonaut, that's very helpful.

What about the 1.6 diesel too??

Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - Bromptonaut

Thanks Bromptonaut, that's very helpful.

What about the 1.6 diesel too??

Others here will know more than I do but the 1.6 is often called the 'diesel of doom'; it's also used in some Ford and (IIRC) Mini products. There have been issues where a blocked oil strainer in the sump has become obstructed leading to lost/reduced oil to the turbo with predictable results.

I think from what I've read here and elsewhere that the problems are mostly with the 16 valve version of the 1.6 and that the 8 valve versions are ok. My current Berlingo has the 8 valve version in 115PS guise and has not missed a beat in what are fast approaching 100k miles. Neither has it had issues with particle filter (other than needing a top up of its FAP catalyst fluid) or the Dual Mass Flywheel people moan about. It has though been meticulously serviced at Cit dealer so I'm certain right low ash oil has been used.

Hi all.

My apologies for a late reply as after my last message I went on holiday to Spain for a week and I couldn't get a signal on my phone and I've just managed to get the WiFi working!!

Thank you all for your replies as they are much appreciated.

Does anyone know if the auto box on a 2L petrol Picasso is a 'proper' automatic? If so, is it any good?

I've spotted a lovely one for sale privately at around 60 miles from where I live.

Thanks again peeps,

Clarkie.

“Does anyone know if the auto box on a 2L petrol Picasso is a 'proper' automatic? If so, is it any good?”

It uses a conventional 4 speed torque converter box and is mechanically simple and robust. These are comfortable and practical but the electrics are poor and sills often full of holes. Worth saving a good one though as they are good cars and far more reliable than the later C4 Picasso. Bright airy interiors and soft comfortable seats make for a relaxed drive. I like them, in fact I supplied many over the years including my wife’s aunt who had it for many years until it was written off.

Don’t be fooled into paying too much for this however as there’s only any real demand for the diesels and smaller manual cars which are wanted as workhorses, no one wants the auto so it’s very likely you’ll be the only interested party so bargain hard.

Make sure you test drive it from cold to make sure the gears change smoothly and all 4 are there plus remember it’ll be overdue a timing belt and water pump if it’s not been done and there’s a receipt as proof and get underneath to look at the sills. It’s likely they’ll already have seen a repair so look at the standard and value the car accordingly. A tatty repair is unsightly and won’t last.
Citroen Xsara Picasso/Vauxhall Zafira - Cheap MPV opinions please! - gordonbennet

If you don't mind the electric parking brake aspect, then the 2007/8 on 2 litre petrol C4 Picasso ''Lounge'' model (not the seven seater model) came with a lovely smooth proper auto box, rare car with 4 x leather captains chairs.

If you don't mind the electric parking brake aspect, then the 2007/8 on 2 litre petrol C4 Picasso ''Lounge'' model (not the seven seater model) came with a lovely smooth proper auto box, rare car with 4 x leather captains chairs.

Cheers Mr Bennet... That's one to bare in mind too!

“Does anyone know if the auto box on a 2L petrol Picasso is a 'proper' automatic? If so, is it any good?” It uses a conventional 4 speed torque converter box and is mechanically simple and robust. These are comfortable and practical but the electrics are poor and sills often full of holes. Worth saving a good one though as they are good cars and far more reliable than the later C4 Picasso. Bright airy interiors and soft comfortable seats make for a relaxed drive. I like them, in fact I supplied many over the years including my wife’s aunt who had it for many years until it was written off. Don’t be fooled into paying too much for this however as there’s only any real demand for the diesels and smaller manual cars which are wanted as workhorses, no one wants the auto so it’s very likely you’ll be the only interested party so bargain hard. Make sure you test drive it from cold to make sure the gears change smoothly and all 4 are there plus remember it’ll be overdue a timing belt and water pump if it’s not been done and there’s a receipt as proof and get underneath to look at the sills. It’s likely they’ll already have seen a repair so look at the standard and value the car accordingly. A tatty repair is unsightly and won’t last.

Hi SLO.... Thanks for your reply.

The one I've seen advertised is a private sale being sold by someone on behalf of their mother that cannot drive any longer. Its a 2006, 1 owner car up for £1350 with 62k miles on the clock and the cambelt was changed in 2015 at 54k miles. From the photos, it looks in lovely condition, especially the interior as the seats do not look like they've been sat in or the carpets stepped on!!

The MOT history reads quiet well too, with no mention of rust or rusty sills!! If it's still up for sale when I get back from my hols and it's a goodun, it could be worth a cheeky £1k cash offer??

I've also spotted a 1999 Corolla 1.3 automatic with 60k miles, service history and 2 owners for 1k which looks in lovely condition too. The mot history is good also. Would this be worth a punt too?? Or would it be a bit too old as a reliable daily driver??

Thanks as always for your help!

Clarkie.

This one?

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190811102...7

This one? I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190811102...7

Yes... That's the one. What do you reckon??

The Corolla could be worth a look, they are incredibly robust but this generation is pretty drab to drive. The Citroen is the nicer car but don’t expect it to be trouble free.
The Corolla could be worth a look, they are incredibly robust but this generation is pretty drab to drive. The Citroen is the nicer car but don’t expect it to be trouble free.

Cheers SLO.

I'm guessing the 1.3 Corolla Auto would be a 'proper' automatic??

Would I be right to think the main issues with a Citroen Picasso would be electric related problems??

“I'm guessing the 1.3 Corolla Auto would be a 'proper' automatic??

Would I be right to think the main issues with a Citroen Picasso would be electric related problems??”

The Corolla is a conventional auto and yes the Citroen’s biggest weakness will be electrics. The battery for example is located under the front passenger seat which has to be removed to gain access!!! Utter French lunacy but otherwise quite a pleasant thing. Just make sure everything works. Plus it’s not a car for rushing down motorways at speed. They tend to wander around and get a bit noisy above 65mph. Around town though they’re great.
“I'm guessing the 1.3 Corolla Auto would be a 'proper' automatic?? Would I be right to think the main issues with a Citroen Picasso would be electric related problems??” The Corolla is a conventional auto and yes the Citroen’s biggest weakness will be electrics. The battery for example is located under the front passenger seat which has to be removed to gain access!!! Utter French lunacy but otherwise quite a pleasant thing. Just make sure everything works. Plus it’s not a car for rushing down motorways at speed. They tend to wander around and get a bit noisy above 65mph. Around town though they’re great.

Thanks for that buddy! Most helpful.

I've posted a few links to some cars localish to me.

Would you take a butchers at them when you get a mo..... If you don't mind that is :)

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190611888...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190806085...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190716013...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190730059...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190708983...3

Your thoughts and opinions on these please SLO or anyone.

Thanks again..... Much appreciated!

So the Toyota Corolla Verso that was in one of the Autotrader links has sold, along with the Nissan Note that was up for sale with the same dealer.

Would you fine people have a look at the Autotrader links I posted and give your opinions if you have time.

Thanks again everyone!! :)

Don’t massively like any of them. The Avensis is a good model but black paint gets tatty quick and they haven’t even cleaned it properly. How about this?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190507771...3

Like this too...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190730062...8

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2019 at 00:14

Don’t massively like any of them. The Avensis is a good model but black paint gets tatty quick and they haven’t even cleaned it properly. How about this? I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190507771...3 Like this too... I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190730062...8

Cheers! Thanks SLO :)