Water pump replacement cost/ Ford Focus Zetec S1.8 - lee m

Just a quick question regarding getting the water pump replaced. I have rang Ford and asked how much it would cost to replace the water pump in my Ford Focus 2010 Zetec S 1.8 Petrol. They are quoting me nearly £500 but I rang a local garage from fixmycar.com and they quoted a rough estimate of £168.00. Both prices include parts, labour and vat.

Im really baffled as to what to believe. I have seen countless videos of the exact engine type (Duratec HE 1.8 P) in the same car having a water pump replaced and it does not involve the timing chain (yes it does not have a belt). All that is required is the movement of the coolant tank, undue engine mount and jack the engine up for easy access to the AUX belt section.

What price is realistic here? Is ford trying to con me? I have the car booked in on Wednesday with the local garage.

Water pump replacement cost/ Ford Focus Zetec S1.8 - Galaxy

I expect the local garage will use a pattern part. The Ford Main Dealer will, of course, use a genuine Ford part and this will explain some of your price difference.

When I changed the water pump on my Ford Mondeo several years ago a genuine Ford pump cost about £120 - I could get a pattern part for about £20!

Also, the Ford Main Dealer is likely to have much higher hourly labour rates. The glass and aluminium palaces have to be paid for somehow!

Water pump replacement cost/ Ford Focus Zetec S1.8 - daveyjp

Was the Ford price at main dealer rates?

If so try a quote via their Motorcraft service instead. When I had a Ford I used Motorcraft (Rapifit back then) for servicing, Ford parts, but much cheaper than main dealer prices.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/08/2019 at 12:20