Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - sydney the oz

I regularly drive different cars and after an incident today when someone lost attention and wandered over the white line towards me, I really ought to get a dash cam.

I need a good resolution for detail like number plates when playing clips back; quick to release and fix to windscreens when changing between vehicles; if possible, a reasonable battery life so I don't need a charge lead hanging off it all the time.

Need one to do the job so not necessarily the cheapest. Any recommendations please?

Edited by sydney the oz on 02/08/2019 at 18:37

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - elekie&a/c doctor
Nextbase dash cams are probably the market leader, but any device needs to have a proper power supply . Internal battery life on these cams is around 20 - 30 mins .
Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - Miniman777

I have a Viofo A119 in the three family cars, two plugged in to the 12v ciggy socket, one hardwired. All sit on a GPS mount stuck to the screen and slide off the mount easily which makes them interchangeable. Have no issues on image quality either, plus that model of camera is quite discrete. The Viofo have a capacitor not an internal battery, not affected by the heat.

Everyone has their favourite.

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - Ian D
Like mini man I have a Viofo A119, I don’t want the GPS function so it slides onto a self adhesive mount, mini usb lead easily unplugged, easy to move between cars. My car has a dotted stripe over the top 5” or so of the windscreen so the way the Viofo mounts means most of the camera is hidden behind the stripe and only the lens shows which you can barely see, much better than the ones on suction mounts, highly visible and asking for a thief to break in to nick it. If you google Techmoan, he has a little a load of good info on his website.
Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - Smileyman

I can't suggest any specific dashcam, but do suggest caution. No matter how good the fittings, constant attaching and detaching will cause wear to fittings and power connections - these will have only so much tolerance before failure.

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - Big John

I have a Nextbase dash cam that has a great click and go attachment and it is easy to find extra click and go mounts for fitting in different cars. I don't think any dash cams have a long enough battery life to avoid a lead of some sort.

Edited by Big John on 03/08/2019 at 00:29

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - MGspannerman

The internal battery is intended to capture and write the video when the unit is powered down or maybe provide bump protection. The battery is of no significant use for actually running the dash cam in daily use. It is pretty straightforward to run a lead under the headlining from above the mirror around the door trim and then along under the glove box to either a power feed or a fuse box.

In my last car I wired it into a piggy back fuse in the fuse box using a kit bought off Ebay, in my current vehicle the power socket is buried at the base of the central box, quite why as it seems a very inconvenient place for this and the adjacent USB but there we are. I ran the lead around under the transmission tunnel trim, levered up the power socket plastic base and fed the plug through the gap leaving the wire trapped by the now displaced socket base. Not pretty, but not visible either.

There is plenty of information on youtube and the various forums to show how it can be done. It can be a slow job first time round but with experience a 20/30 minute task.

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - Gibbo_Wirral

I'd recommend Nextbase or Vantrue as you can buy a second mount quite easily.

Dashcam suitable to switch between cars - sydney the oz

Thanks all, very useful.