Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - schalkie

I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Transit 2.4 MWB High Roof van to convert to a camper. It was an ex power company van and they obviously had some kind of ventilations through the floor. The hole is about 10cm in diameter and the edges are unfinished (see photo link below) just behind the drivers side of the bulk head.

Does anyone know if this is likely to cause it to fail MOT inspection? If so what are my options? It had a wooden panel screwed over it when I go the van but not sure if this is any better. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://i.ibb.co/vq73Ggb/IMG-20190728-155230.jpg

There's also two smaller holes on the door side of the van.

https://i.ibb.co/kMNscDf/IMG-20190728-155210.jpg

Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - elekie&a/c doctor
As long as they are more than 300 mm from any structural part of the chassis or seat or belt mounts, then I can’t see them being a problem.
Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - Chris M

Can't imagine a power company would structurally weaken a van as it would expose them to all sorts of problems should staff be injured in an accident.

Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - skidpan

It was an ex power company van and they obviously had some kind of ventilations through the floor. The hole is about 10cm in diameter and the edges are unfinished (see photo link below) just behind the drivers side of the bulk head

Probably the toilet facilities that they are required to provide.

Bit surprised that they kept such a van for 8 years. It must have done a galactic miles and led a very hard life. Is it really worth putting money into such a vehicle? There must be better out there.

Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - Chris M

Would there have been a sign along the lines of "Please don't flush whilst waiting at traffic lights"?

Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - bathtub tom
Probably the toilet facilities that they are required to provide.

Never had such luxuries in my day, it was a pot to p*** in that was also used to bail out flooded manholes.

I hear you, but from what I can tell it's actually been very looked after. Far better condition than many 2011 Transit's I've looked at with very little rust and a solid service record. Yes its done 100K but i've seen very few at this age that have done less miles

Ford Transit 2011 2.4 MWB H/R - Will this pass MOT? - maccar

I know the type of Modification to the rear of the cab that you are talking about,and I have passed but advised many of these vehicles on an mot. look at GOV.UK, mot manuals appendix A, "Structural Integrity and Corrosion", para 4... It tells you about modifications to structure & panelling... That all said, It depends on your mot tester and his understanding of the Manual and his veiw of the vehicle at time of test,

Your only option and guarantee to pass option is to get the holes (if your not gonna use them) is to get them weld repaired with a "SEAM WELDED PATCH"

Edited by maccar on 02/08/2019 at 13:57

This is really helpful, thanks for the reply!