Used cars under £6000/£6500 - Soniya

Looking for a small hatchback (not a city car preferably)

My requirements for a car: reliable, cheap to run & maintain, up to 3 yrs old, A/C, cruise control, touch screen, Bluetooth, 5 doors, 0-60mph in under 11s, look good.

Extras I would like are heated seats, android auto, start/stop & parking sensors/camera

my budget is £6k (target) but I can stretch to £6.5k

my annual mileage will probably be low - around 4-5000

Some motorway trips and lots of driving around town.

All suggestions welcome and thanks for your help!

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - SLO76
Where roughly do you live? I can look locally to you for a few suggestions but while we can recommend cars they may be of no use if one isn’t available nearby.

I live in Hounslow (West London)

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - badbusdriver

My requirements for a car: reliable, cheap to run & maintain, up to 3 yrs old, A/C, cruise control, touch screen, Bluetooth, 5 doors, 0-60mph in under 11s, look good.

Extras I would like are heated seats, android auto, start/stop & parking sensors/camera

Not asking for much are you?!

I think you might have to prepare yourself for some compromise!.

Not asking for much are you?!

I think you might have to prepare yourself for some compromise!.

Lol :D

I ended up with a Skoda Fabia SE 1.2 TSi 2016 5dr with 35k mileage. It has a/c, touchscreen, 0-60 in 10.5s, cruise control, android auto, start-stop, £20 road tax, up to 60 mpg & rear parking sensors. It looks and feels great! and all for £5700. We'll see how reliable it ends up, & how cheap it is to maintain...

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - barney100

I know Fabia owner who has clocked up well over 300,000 miles, no major problems. That's quite impressive.

Hopefully it's the same for me :) *fingers crossed*

To fulfil all of your requirements is quite difficult. I’m not quite sure why you’ve put such a stipulation regarding ultimate acceleration from 0-60 as it doesn’t really reflect how flexible any particular car is nor is it particularly important on today’s roads. I’m assuming you mean that you just want something that’s not too slow?

For a bit more money you could have a current model Mazda 2 1.5 Sport which meets everything other than your budget. £7k is really the starting point for a good one. These are very reliable, great fun to drive, good on fuel and reasonably comfortable.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190719023...7

thanks for your advice. What's the difference in Mazda2 SE-L Nav and Sport Nav? Not able to find anything clear. Thanks!

thanks for your advice. What's the difference in Mazda2 SE-L Nav and Sport Nav? Not able to find anything clear. Thanks!

They’re both high spec superminis but the Sport has firmer suspension and fatter wheels and tyres. It’ll ride a bit harder, possibly the steering is geared differently too. The SE-L Nav is available in both 75PS and 90PS spec with the latter matching the performance of the Sport. I’d buy on condition and history over gadgets and performance but I doubt you’d be disappointed by either with the 90PS motor. You may need to dig a bit deeper to get a good example of either though.
A few other possibilities. But compromises are required.

The Suzuki Swift is a fantastic little car. The 1.2 isn’t fast but it’s still a hoot to drive and will be utterly reliable.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190725042...9

Here’s one that’s a bit more risky. Small dealer (many of whom are dodgy as hell, though this one might be a good fella) but these rare wee cars (especially in 5dr form) are fantastic fun to drive and always popular when it comes to selling on.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190617910...1

This is another car that is great fun to drive despite lacking the outright performance you want. Don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost that most sales staff will point you to. It is faster but notoriously unreliable. The bulletproof 1.25/1.4/1.6 Yamaha designed petrols are great little engines and this is the best handling car in its class.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190602858...1

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2019 at 22:16

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - badbusdriver

Closest i can come up with to meet most of those requirements is the Toyota Yaris 1.33 Icon.

Reliable and cheap to run?, of course, it's a Toyota!

Up to 3 years old?, looking on Autotrader i see you can get a 2016 car for £6-6.5k.

A/C?-yes

cruise control?-yes

touch screen?-yes

bluetooth?-not sure (but i'd assume yes)

5 doors?-yes

0-60 in under 11 seconds?-no (11.7)

look good?-entirely down to personal opinion.

(extra's)Heated seats?-don't think so, android auto?-not sure (but i think it would), stop/start?-yes, parking sensors/camera?-it has a reversing camera (not sure about sensors, but probably does have them)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190427738...1

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - SteveLee

Low risk purchase as a) they look after their customers and b) any hassle they'll give you your money back.:

www.cargiant.co.uk/car/ds/3/WK16LKG

Used cars under £6000/£6500 - gordon115

My wife has a Suzuki Swift Sport.

Great fun,well equipped. ( a/c, cruise,satnav, ) Mega reliable.

Available as a 5 door as well.

Edited by gordon115 on 02/08/2019 at 19:41