Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Matty101

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first car(previously drove my mom's Honda crv)

I'm a big and tall guy so I like my space, I noticed that some of the smaller cars I have trouble getting in and out of (inside room is fine just getting in and out)

This will be my first car so not looking to spend too much, was thinking a focus hatchback 2007-2010 or golf again 2007 to 2010, and then a octavia or passat 2007 to 2010,

I've noticed that 3 door cars seem bigger but just wondering if the front seat is bigger/more roomy, I'm opened to any car suggestions you may have for cars, 1.6 petrol max (insurance purposes)

I was also looking at the citroen c4, 3 door version, it looks quite roomy in the front,

Anyways, welcoming all feedback and suggestions, thanks :)

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Gordon17

3 door cars aren't any bigger in the front but the doors are bigger than the front doors of the same car as a 5 door.

About 15 years ago I bought a 3 door as it was easier for my father in law, who was in a wheelchair and paralysed from the waist down, to slide across from his chair into the seat.

So if you are really big you may find it easier to get in and out of a 3 door.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - badbusdriver

Gordons point about wheelchair access is valid, but that can also backfire in a couple of key areas. Firstly, in a car park with cars next to you, you won't be able to open the door as wide, so you will struggle moor to get out of a shallower angle with the widest part behind you. Second, i live in North East Scotland and we get lots of REALLY windy days(!), and because of how much bigger the doors on a 3 door car are compared to the 5 door equivalent, it is much easier for the wind to catch the door and whip it right open. This can result in damage even if the door doesn't actually hit anything.

But the main point re your question, as Gordon points out is that no, 3 door cars are not bigger inside than the 5 door version.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - SLO76
I’d forget the Citroen C4, it’s not a good budget buy. It’s flimsy and reliability is poor. My suggestion is to get out and try cars for size to see what you’re comfortable in. Limiting yourself to a couple of 3dr models will severely limit your choice which is unwise when shopping on a very tight budget.

Here’s a shortlist of cars to try which have a good reputation for longevity.

Ford Focus/ C-Max 1.6 petrol (Yamaha designed engine and great fun to drive)

Mazda 3 1.6 petrol (great fun again but no timing belt to worry about, just watch for rust)

Hyundai i30/Kia Cee’d/Pro Cee’d (reliable and cheap, your money will get a newer car but again watch for rot underneath)

Honda Civic (all are spacious and robust)

Toyota Corolla (dependable and very reliable)

Toyota Avensis (cheap, reliable and huge inside)

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2019 at 09:42

What are your thoughts on the toyata auris 2007-2011, it seems kinda higher than the usual focus or golf, seems plenty of headroom which is whay I'm after

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Andrew-T

In simple terms, 3- and 5-door versions of the same model use the same floor-pan, so are the same 'inside'. 3-door versions are thought of as more sporty since the 1980s days of the GTi, when 3- and 5-door versions became the norm. Front doors have to be larger so people can climb into the rear seats. That means they are a bigger problem in car parks and are more likely to get caught and damaged by a gust of wind. Also a bigger hazard for passing cyclists.

Makers put a few £100 premium on the 5-door version presumably because they are a bit more complicated to put together.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Chris M

Another plus for larger members of the population is the extra arm and shoulder room you get with a 3 door car because the B pillar is further back.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Big John

Another plus for larger members of the population is the extra arm and shoulder room you get with a 3 door car because the B pillar is further back.

Yup, story of my (driving ) life. I'm large and 6ft4" and really struggle with many cars. The B pillar causes me issues as my elbow ends up in the B pillar rather than the door armrest and if I look right I just see either the B pillar or even out of the back window! My knees end up further back than was designed for on many doors cards (ie they clout hard plastic) - 3dr cars are much better for me to drive. However I still need to carry people in the back and a 3dr is a pain then.

For now my solution is a Skoda Superb - nice big doors and loads of room.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Chris M

The answer for me Big John, was to lose 6 stone. I'm still a little under 6' 3" though - not much can be done about that :)

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - RaineMan

Agree with all the comments. I have owned two four door cars and one two door one over the past ten years. Access with two doors is far better for the front seats but s pain for the rear ones. And the longer doors are a real pain in car parks most of which seem to think we are still in the sixties. I think OP should forget about a Golf. They retain their value well but based on a reputation for reliability relating to an air cooled Beetle but not a Golf (particularly second hand).

Someone I know was a VW fan but last change got a s/h Focus which had proved far more reliable!

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Engineer Andy

I know from owning a mid-90s Micra 3dr and a mid 2000s Mazda3 4dr that despite the former being about 10-15cm narrower, it was no easier for me getting in/out in car parking spaces than the Mazda, given how much longer the Micra's doors were.

I suspect it would be roughly the same experience with the Golf in 3 and 5dr formats. The 3rd Golf mkVII is a nicer looking car (externally, side-on) though, similar to the Leon SC. Both remind me of the shape of the mid 2000s Civic Type R which was also a 3dr car.

I was just test driving a focus and a ibiza and the problem isn't room inside, I'm fine it's just getting out really, my head gets sorta too High up and gets stuck and then I look like a right tit getting out, was thinking of getting an opel meriva, they seem very high

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Andrew-T

I was just test driving a focus and a ibiza and the problem isn't room inside, I'm fine it's just getting out really, ...

I don't know if VW still make a Golf Plus. The older version was a higher car but basically the same otherwise. That may solve your problem? My daughter had a 55-plate Golf Plus.

Other makers have similar variants.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - badbusdriver

I don't know if VW still make a Golf Plus.

They don't, the Golf plus (which was based on the MK5 Golf) was made up to 2014 when it was replaced by the Golf SV. This was essentially the same type of car aimed at the same market, but (in most opinions) better looking and based on the MK7 Golf. It is still in production, but with the march of the SUV in endless, slightly different sizes, you'd have to wonder for how long?. Personally, i'd sooner have an SV than a Golf for the higher seating position, greater practicality (sliding rear seats, bigger boot, etc). I'd also sooner have one over an SUV on account of it not being an SUV!.

was thinking of getting an opel meriva, they seem very high

As for the Meriva, we used to have one, and while it did have good points, it also frustrated with quite a few bad ones bad ones. The rail system running between the front seats might seem like a good idea, but try putting someone in the centre rear and you'll quickly find out why it wasn't. Whoever is unfortunate enough to sit there, will have their legs uncomfortably splayed either side of the rails. The rear 'suicide' doors are good for parents putting a child in the child seat as it puts you in a much more comfortable position. But apart from that, not really any other benefit, unlike sliding doors at the back, where you get the same ease of seating the child, but also once they are a bit older, the added benefit of not having to worry about a door being flung open in a car park hitting the car next to you!. The other minus points i found with the meriva were the heavy clutch combined with a narrow power band (1.7 turbo diesel) and 'too long' gearing. This made the car a nightmare to drive in stop start traffic. And lastly, there was a lot of road noise despite our car not having the bigger wheels of the SE. On the other side, the engine, on the open road, was very strong, and the 6 speed box meant low revs at high speed. the seats were very comfortable and it had a large boot, so were it not for the afore mentioned road noise it could have been a great mile muncher.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Avant

That's right - I read recently that the Golf SV won't be directly replaced when the Mark 8 Golf comes out.

I'm still vague about the difference between an MPV and an SUV, but if someone wants a higher-up version of the Golf, they're going to go for the T-Roc, or the smaller T-Cross.

Volkswagen Golf - Are 3 door cars bigger in the front? - Engineer Andy

I'm still vague about the difference between an MPV and an SUV

About £3k - £5k. Mostly marketing hype, if comparing the latest cars. The MPV is a bit more practical and a bit less stylish, and will likely have lesser powered engine ranges (but not that different, mainly the lack of 'sporty' top end models), thus they come in cheaper.

SUVs of old seemed to me to much more 'agricultrual' (often because the original ones were mainly American) based on converted pick-up trucks rather than today's lot that are now Euroboxes of jacked-up family hatchbacks and superminis, with a bit more boot space.

I suspect the 'traditional' MPVs like the Espace, Galaxy, Mazda5 etc will soon be discarded (at least for a few years) by the vast majority of manufacturers, perhaps with the exception of a few Asian makes selling locally to taxi markets and similarly in some developing nations, where practicality and efficient use of vehicle size, as well as the purchase cost means far more than buying a 'handbag' car to impress your neighbours, work colleages and family.