Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - OceanMan

Hey all,

I need to change the oil on my car but can't really afford a service. I was thinking of using one of those extractor pumps instead of draining the oil the traditional way. Will this be a good enough substitute?

Some people say yes, but others seem to think the pumps Don't get all the old oil out. Anyone here use them regularly?

Thanks a lot.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - carl233

Been using one for more than a decade for an interim oil change between services. Clearly the oil in the filter is not in scope although if you push it right down to the core of the sump you willl get nearly all of it out.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - S40 Man

I have a vacuum one, it looks like a massive vacu vin wine saver if you are familiar with those. Like other poster say, they are a dream to use. Stick it in the dipstick tube and it sucks the oil out in a short time. I've changed my oil this way whenever the service light comes on. From 100k when I bought it through to 220k now. It hasn't suffered an oil related failure in that time. Call that 9 oil changes for around £30 I paid for the extractor. 9 services at a garage could cost £1000+

It's easier and less messy than removing sump plug. I don't have my own drive so this is all round the best option for me.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - bathtub tom

I tried one, but it took so long to suck the stuff out, even when warm, I reverted to dropping the sump plug. I know some claim they don't remove all the oil and sludge. Any method will leave some oil behind and if you've got sludge in the sump, then you've got problems (or a very old car).

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - carl233

As an example my 1997 petrol Mondeo Zetec-e with 262,000 miles on the clock takes 9 minutes to get 4.05 litres out. The full capacity is 4.25 with the remaining oil in the filter of course that cannot be got with this method. Including the time to pour in the just over 4 litres of fresh oil it takes around 10 minutes from start to finish. The extractor cost £30 over a decade past and is still working fine. Some vehicles may pose additional challenges but dumping that amount of oil in 10 mins I find very useful.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - gordonbennet

If its the hassle of draining, invest in a Fumoto quick drain valve, once fitted every time you go to change the oil in future it's completely mess free, all you need is to slip the can underneath and turn the valve open and the oil will flow out at a sensible rate, you really could change the oil in your suit from then on.

www.quickvalve.co.uk/

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - Terry W

Back in the days when I did my own servicing (mainly to save cash) I recall it was usually advised to replace the oil filter at the same time.

Have times changed or was I simply wastng money on new filters.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - JR150

I find it useful to replace the filter every 12.5k miles on my Ford and suction the oil only out at 6k as a halfway oil refresh.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - Andrew-T

Back in the days when I did my own servicing (mainly to save cash) I recall it was usually advised to replace the oil filter at the same time. Have times changed or was I simply wasting money on new filters?

I have changed oil and filter on quite a few cars over several decades, but have been balked recently by the inaccessibility of sump plugs on 21st-century cars - I leave those to places with a car hoist.

Petrol engines - change filter every other oil-change; diesels - change both. Drive car onto ramps, plug is at rear of sump so very little oil left inside if it is well warm.

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/07/2019 at 13:43

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - sandy56

Having used one for oil changes in my car, my sons Landy, my sons 7 tonne truck and my boat engine and gearbox, I can thoroughly recommend them.

DO follow the advice and allow the oil to warm up before you start, it makes a huge difference. I transfer the old oil to a large sealed container and drop it off at the local tip when convenient.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - CHarkin

Been using the £15 Lidle one for a couple of years now and find it great. On my VW there is a large under tray that needs to come off to get to the sump plug and it has around a dozen fixings of various types. I find the pump gets 3.5 of the 3.8 L of oil but as I change the oil more frequently than recommended Im not bothered about that. I did find that I could get a larger diameter pipe down the dipstick hole and that speeds up the process a good bit. Ten minute job in total.

Edited by CHarkin on 25/07/2019 at 00:35

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - skidpan

Had a Pela 6000 for probably 12 years now. Only used it with 0w30 and 5w30.

I agree that it does not get all the oil out but nether does the sump plug.

Instructions said to warm the engine but not to use it with a hot engine so the first time I used it (on a warm summers day) I drove towards town, round the first roundabout and back home, probably a mile. Tried sucking the oil out and it did nothing, very disappointed. So back in the car drive to the M1 and back, probably 6 miles and try again, perfect.

IMHO well worth the money.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car has a dipstick tube, then you will find that most main dealers use this method. Many modern cars have plastic sump and twist and lock drain tap. Guaranteed to be a problem once they are touched. Also many vehicles with a full length under tray with no access panels to the drain plug, can be a real faff to remove .
Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - madf

"Also many vehicles with a full length under tray with no access panels to the drain plug, can be a real faff to remove "

Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz have a little flap in the tray which opens to access oil plug and another for oil filter....

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - focussed

Having spent a long time in the marine engineering industry, extracting engine lube oil via the dipstick tube, or on some engines via a pump-out pipe that is usually a banjo fitting threaded into where the sump plug is fitted on the industrial version of the engine is completely normal, and doesn't cause any problems. Any old oil remaining in the sump, pipes, and oil galleries is just diluted by the fresh oil.

And yes I've got a Lidl electric pump - I use it for pumping oil out of various mower, chipper and dumper engines, and very good it is too.

A modern solution to the understandable aversion to removing the sump plug on a vehicle - hot oil running down your arm etc- can be avoided by using a drain valve fitting in the sump plug hole - there are many types and manufacturers, here's just one:-https://www.quickvalve.co.uk/

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - skidpan

Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz have a little flap in the tray which opens to access oil plug and another for oil filter.

Which of course means that the "yoof" doing your service does not get the opportunity to check for oil leaks and any other minor issue before it could become a major issue.

And after previously reading comments on here I thought Toyota and Honda were far to diligent to miss any opportunity to ensure their vehicles are tip top and according to some repair them FOC even after 15 years.

Oil Extractor Pumps - are they worth it? - bathtub tom

Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz have a little flap in the tray which opens to access oil plug and another for oil filter.

My '14 reg 1.3 petrol Yaris hasn't an undertray. Should it?