Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - JovintoJain

So I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra and I don’t drive it too much. It hasn’t been regularly driven in a few months but every month I’ll take it around the neighborhood a little. It hasn’t had an oil change obviously and the oil is pretty old in it. Drove around 5,000 miles with it. I noticed that it has a small puddle of oil under it some times and the oil is very low in it. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing it and how much it will cost to fix. I will be needing my car next month and I can’t afford to get a new one.

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - Avant

Take it to an independent garage for an oil change and ask them to see where the leak is, and give you an estimate before you authorise them to repair it.

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - John F

...and if it's a failing crankshaft oil seal (apparently known for this model) just live with it and keep an eye on the oil level. Oil is cheap - the repair will cost hundreds! My TR7 has leaked oil and ATF for nearly 40yrs. When the cardboard underneath it has a large enough patch it goes into the woodburner, so not wasted!

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - skidpan

A little oil goes a long way thus it may only be a minor leak.

But a major leak could potentially be an MOT failure and a hazard to other road users.

Get it checked out.

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - Andrew-T

Oil is cheap - the repair will cost hundreds! My TR7 has leaked oil and ATF for nearly 40yrs. When the cardboard underneath it has a large enough patch it goes into the woodburner, so not wasted!

I'm a bit surprised you don't keep a tray under your car, John, and pour the oil back in .... :-)

I'm a bit surprised you don't keep a tray under your car, John, and pour the oil back in .... :-)

Not enough. And I wouldn't want to contaminate the engine with dust and dead insects. If it was a significant amount It might do for frying sausages...;-(

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - edlithgow

I noticed that it has a small puddle of oil under it some times and the oil is very low in it. ..... I will be needing my car next month and I can’t afford to get a new one.

If you "can't afford to get a new one", then clearly you shouldn't allow the oil to get ""very low in it"

Topping up the oil is not really much more technical than putting fuel in the tank, and I assume you manage that OK.

Changing the oil is a bit more involved, but you don't have to do that (or have it done) very often if you don't short-trip (taking it around the neighbourhood a little sounds like short-tripping), and even less often if you have a significant oil leak, since you'll be topping up with fresh oil regularly.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/07/2019 at 06:08

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - Big John

Leaking oil is dangerous to other road users especially for motorbikes! This needs investigating and fixing.

Why is my car leaking oil when it’s sitting for a - Andrew-T

Leaking oil is dangerous to other road users especially for motorbikes! This needs investigating and fixing.

Motorbikes are at risk from spillages, not occasional drops on the tarmac. A car leaking that badly will not get far I suggest.

I agree. And cyclists. Some years ago I gracefully collapsed on a roundabout which on close inspection (eyes and nose briefly six inches away) appeared to be coated with a film of diesel. A drop of oil every few hundred yards would be of little significance.