KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - Andy Chrisltey

My Kia has just failed its MOT on emissions - no doubt like many others recently - garage said it came back as 4 on the test (seen a limit of 3.0 mentioned on some posts) - the garage said they could add cleaner but it would not get it under the limit and it needs a new filter which would be over £1000 plus possibly injectors at £600 - and even then it may not fix the issue. Have i got any hope of giving the car to one of these DPF cleaning companies (Halfords do it i've seen) or is this reading way of the scale and I may as well scrap the car as its only worth £2500 - its worth more to me on the road so willing to gamble up to £300

tthanks for any advice

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - Andrew-T

Maybe you should give more details about the car, but those numbers sound like a rip-off to me. But remember that it will nearly always cost you at least a grand to swop one car for another (hopefully better).

Presumably we are talking diesel here. YOU could add cleaner (you should always do that before a MoT just to improve your chances on emissions) and you could also try half a tank of Shell v-nitro fuel which can do no harm at all - only a couple of extra quid from your wallet. If there is any time left on the last MoT do it anyway before retest.

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/07/2019 at 17:56

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - gordonbennet

If the MOT is still valid, i'd bung a full can of Forte Diesel treatment in the tank (as little fuel as possible to richen the mix) and then when the roads are quiet take it for a 100+ mile Italian tune up, and then resubmit the car with the engine hot, will cost you about £15 plus the fuel used and another test fee.

If it passes get yourself some Millers Diesel treatment (Diesel ecosport or whatever its called at present) and put in the required amount with every fill up, permanently, this stuff really helps clean up injectors etc.

You've obviously checked the air cleaner isn't hiding a bird's nest?

Thanks for the replies - yes it is diesel - but I now only have 1 day left on the original MOR so not a lot of time to work with - i’ll See what I can get done tomorrow before it runs out.
Read about places saying they can soak the DPF overnight to clean it for serious problems - it’s such a shame for the car as apart from emissions it’s like new
KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - sammy1

Garages often frighten customers with their diagnosis. Got to be worth attempting to clean the DPF than throwing away £2600. If you change cars you might end up with something worse. Chances of being caught with no MOT while you sort it out are slim, not a hanging offence in any case! If you thought the MOT garage were unhelpful try somewhere else. you do not give the year or mileage of your car and only you can decide if it is worth spending money on. There is good advice on here already re trying to sort the emissions.

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - Andrew-T

Chances of being caught with no MOT while you sort it out are slim, not a hanging offence in any case!.

In my case zero. My car was recently MoT'd just two months late, which is how long it took me to remember it was due. Worth a punt to give the car a few days to respond to treatment.

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - FP

The stuff GB is on about is Millers Diesel Ecomax.

Try shopping around if you want to buy some. Sometimes Halfords is cheapest, or one of the Ebay sellers.

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - gordonbennet

The stuff GB is on about is Millers Diesel Ecomax.

Try shopping around if you want to buy some. Sometimes Halfords is cheapest, or one of the Ebay sellers.

The recently bought 5 litre can is Diesel Power Sport 4...notably thinner than the previous ecomax whatever it was called, car noticeably livelier too but that also coincided with a new fuel filter, so can't say yet for sure.

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - Big John

How old is the car and what engine does it have?

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - SLO76
Is the emissions light on? The DPF isn’t full if it isn’t.

I do recall my Dad’s 1995 Mercedes C180 Elegance failing its Mot at the local main s****** (very much true with Merc) on emissions. I picked it up, thanked them for their time, took it for a quick Italian tune up down the bypass then resubmitted it at a trusted independent... it passed without a single advisory. Robbing gits!

Thanks again everyone

The car is a Kia proceed 1.6 and it’s done 137k - most of that on motorways.
There are no warning lights on the car hence the surprise at the MOT result.
As the garage did say though it may not be the filter but something else but it’s woeth a shout cleaning the system out for
The sake
If £2k car
KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - andyp

When was it last serviced ? If it's due/overdue then a new set of plugs, filters and oil followed by a tank of V Power and a bottle of additive followed by an Italian tune up might sort it.

KIA Pro_Cee'd - MOT emissions fail - Scrap or Not - andyp

Duplicate post

Edited by andyp on 06/07/2019 at 19:15