Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - focussed

The usual problem, in the past have tried all sorts of window cleaner, microfibre cloths, cleaners, commercial window spray etc but usually the smears return in short order, and a raked screen is not easy to clean inside.

I watched a Youtube video from the US and the guy explained why your screen gets that haze on the inside - the oils in the plastics near the screen are evaporated out by sunshine heat and deposited on the inside of the screen. Ok i've previously heard about the plasticizers in plastics causing the plume of haze on the screen from the demist outlets - but not the oils.

He then went on to recommend using one of those eraser sponges to get rid of the oil residue before polishing the screen. Dug around and found a pack of these sponge things, no particular brand, tried cleaning the screen inside, dry sponge, nothing on it, straight out of the packet. And yes it actually works!

Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - Bolt

The usual problem, in the past have tried all sorts of window cleaner, microfibre cloths, cleaners, commercial window spray etc but usually the smears return in short order, and a raked screen is not easy to clean inside.

I watched a Youtube video from the US and the guy explained why your screen gets that haze on the inside - the oils in the plastics near the screen are evaporated out by sunshine heat and deposited on the inside of the screen. Ok i've previously heard about the plasticizers in plastics causing the plume of haze on the screen from the demist outlets - but not the oils.

He then went on to recommend using one of those eraser sponges to get rid of the oil residue before polishing the screen. Dug around and found a pack of these sponge things, no particular brand, tried cleaning the screen inside, dry sponge, nothing on it, straight out of the packet. And yes it actually works!

Thanks for that, will give that a try myself, Civic screen seems to always need cleaning and must be for that reason, I know the screen is ultra violet coated so it must just be the heat of the sun causing it.

Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - badbusdriver

Not being very sure on what an eraser sponge was, i did a quick search and found a place selling Autoglym magic sponges (which seems to be an alternative name for eraser sponges). Didn't mention anything about windscreens, but it does say this:

– Pack of 10
– Use for effortless removal of stubborn scuffs & blemishes
– Can be used on decorative vinyl & plastic trim
– Will remove scuff marks that traditional cleaners won’t shift on things such as interior door panels, kick plates, luggage compartment, boot, estate car load area, seat backs, plus similar surfaces in trucks, buses, boats, caravans and around the home.

Instructions:

– Dampen the Magic Sponge and rub it vigorously over mark
– Avoid using on glossy surfaces which could become dulled

But when i used to valet cars the windscreen was a source of constant irritation. Not only was the interior glass one of the most difficult parts to get a really good result on (looks fine inside the valeting bay, but take it outside in the sunlight and its a right mess!), but the design of the windscreen and dashtop area can make it so much harder because the base of the screen is so far away, and the angle so acute!.

Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - focussed

"Thanks for that, will give that a try myself, Civic screen seems to always need cleaning and must be for that reason, I know the screen is ultra violet coated so it must just be the heat of the sun causing it"

Yes I had a Civic with a smeary screen, I had and still have all sorts of gadgets to reach the down the screen towards the top of the dash, triangular pads on telescopic sticks etc, but still had a smeary screen as soon as it's in the sun!

Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - groaver

Those miracle sponges are good for taking ingrained dust and "yellowing" off alloy wheels as well.

Edited by groaver on 05/07/2019 at 09:57

Any - Windscreen smeary/hazy inside? (not an advert HJ!) - Smileyman

This is a problem, having a film of grime etc on the inside reduces visibility, and misting when conditions are wet.

I use either a wet sponge and dry off with a damp wash leather or sometimes glass spray cleaner and a dry off with a duster - neither are perfect. Best done in warmer weather to allow the damp introduced to dissipate off out the car.