Opel Astra GTC 1.4T (SRi)(2016) - Turbo engine issues? - rscarrab
Hey I’m new to this place and don’t know all that much about cars, let alone the technical aspects. But I was lurking a few topics on these forums and saw something mentioned which got me thinking...

Is it normal that my car won’t say, boost in the high revs? For example I’m hitting the high revs of third and sometimes it feels like the car is suddenly being restricted, like there’s a serious power drop off.

I had almost just chalked it down to the design of the car or something. I never owned an engine that wasn’t N/A so what do I know, right?

But I saw these two comments in another thread (made in April 2018)...

“There were some issues with early 1.4Ts, but this appears to have been solved with a re-specified oil. Was Dexos 2, now Dexos 1 Gen 2.”

“As another poster pointed out there were problems with the new Astra turbo engines that were solved with an new oil spec and an ECU upgrade, if you do get one make sure this has been carried out.”

...and I’m thinking should I bring my car to the garage and specifically point this out to them? It wasn’t too long ago it was in for a service so I don’t want to pay for one again so soon unless there’s a good reason to.

Any help would be appreciated.
Opel Astra GTC 1.4T (SRi)(2016) - Turbo engine issues? - bathtub tom

Depends what you mean by high revs. A little after the red line I'd expect a rev limiter to cut in, although you'd probably feel that as a stutter.

Depends what you mean by high revs. A little after the red line I'd expect a rev limiter to cut in, although you'd probably feel that as a stutter.

Between 45 - 55. It goes into the red at 65, on mine.
Opel Astra GTC 1.4T (SRi)(2016) - Turbo engine issues? - Bolt

you sure, rev limiters usually come in a few hundred rpm before the red line as that's the oil pump flow limit and you don't want to starve it of oil...

Manual will tell you max rev limit

Edited by bolt on 01/07/2019 at 19:14

you sure, rev limiters usually come in a few hundred rpm before the red line as that's the oil pump flow limit and you don't want to starve it of oil...

Manual will tell you max rev limit

I’m quite sure. I haven’t done it in a while mind you, as it didn’t feel right going any higher with the car reacting like that so I just adjusted to shifting earlier. But I’ll give it a go again soon just to be certain. I wouldn’t ever go near the red though and in these particular instances that I’m referring to I’d have been watching the revs anyway; it’s a wide open slip off a roundabout leading onto a highway that’s quite remote, no distractions so I can pay close attention to it. It’s at roughly a 30 degree incline up to the highway with a sharp turn preceding it so it takes about 4 seconds to work it’s way up the revs in 3rd before it starts exhibiting that behavior. In and around where I mentioned. It’s not so fast that it’s hard to watch and the road is safe enough to not pay as much attention to as one normally would. At the very most it could have been near 6000 (which I really don’t believe it was near) but definitely not 6500 (red). I can be certain of that.

I’m just wondering if anyone knows the symptoms of those issues I quoted (ie early GTC 1.4T engine issues) and whether they correlate to what I mention happening to me.

Also good shout on checking the manual, I’ll be sure to see if there’s anything in there that can help.

Edited by rscarrab on 01/07/2019 at 20:24

Opel Astra GTC 1.4T (SRi)(2016) - Turbo engine issues? - Bolt

Its possible the angle of road is causing the oil to move away from the oil pickup, starving the pump and preventing oil feed to piston rings which will cause loss of compression at those revs

I could be wrong but it could happen depending on layout of oil pickup and sump shape

the road you talk about reminds me of the A249 slip road to A2 to Dover? that used to cause problems for fast cars, but I doubt many try it now

Opel Astra GTC 1.4T (SRi)(2016) - Turbo engine issues? - Chris M

Suggest you have a look on the Astra K forum for info on the 1.4T engine issue. Your GTC will be a J but the engine's the same.