Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - steadyslowdriver

Hi

I've got about £10k to spend and want an Audi A3, I do about 15k miles PA and want to know, if you take out the running costs which A3 Engine is the most reliable out of the 1.4 TFSI Petrol, 1.6 TDI or 2.0 TDI? Also is there anything to look out for when looking at A3 which could be a bad sign?

Thanks

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - badbusdriver

The 1.4 petrol for me all day long. Your mileage is just about on the cusp of justifying diesel, but the 1.4TSI is so economical (It should easily manage 50+ mpg), and just a nicer engine.

Also, the 1.6 diesel is the main culprit in the 'dieselgate' scandal, so if it had to be a diesel, the 2.0 would be the one to go for. It is certainly more muscular than the 1.4TSI, but i'd still say the TSI would be the nicer engine being quieter and smoother.

Things to look out for?, i don't think there is much, as long as you are buying a manual and not the potentially troublesome dual clutch automated manual. Also, be aware that 'sporty' trims with large diameter alloy wheels and ultra low profile tyres may look good, but the ride is likely to be pretty harsh. So for someone spending a lot of time on the road, it might be worth considering a lower spec model with smaller wheels.

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/06/2019 at 11:40

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - skidpan

Don't buy an A3, buy a 1.4 TSi Leon with the 140 (or 150) PS engine. You will get a much newer car for the same money. Under the body panels they are identical, all you are paying extra for is the Audi badge.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - badbusdriver

Don't buy an A3, buy a 1.4 TSi Leon with the 140 (or 150) PS engine. You will get a much newer car for the same money. Under the body panels they are identical, all you are paying extra for is the Audi badge.

I'd agree with this, and add i personally think the Leon is a nicer looking car, but for some, the badge is everything!

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - Avant

I agree. Buying new, there are good finance and leasing deals on Audis because they hold their value. But buying used, a SEAT or Skoda will be much better value.

That said, Skidpan and others have got good deals on new SEATs and Skodas, so even buying new, if you want something from the VAG stable, it's worth looking at all the brands.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - RichT54

I had a 2014 A3 Sportback with the 1.4 TFSI COD (Cylinder On Demand) engine. The engine was a real gem with plenty of performance, plus it could be very economical. My overall calculated mpg was 46.3 and I had several occasions where the calculate average for a tankful of petrol was over 50 mpg.The manual gearbox was excellent and I really enjoyed driving the car. The only part that I didn't like was the clutch, which would occasionally produce a severe judder when pulling away.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - Big John

The only part that I didn't like was the clutch, which would occasionally produce a severe judder when pulling away.

As far as I know this more powerful 1.4tsi doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel and is probably on the cusp of needing one (all more powerful petrols have a DMF) which can expalain the judder under certain circumstances. Saying that there is no DMF to worry about then!

My 2014 1.4 EA111 (your version is the later EA211) has been averaging over 48mpg whilst on holiday to/in/from the lakes, not bad in a Skoda Superb barge! - infact not far behind my previous uperb 1.9pd which seemed to always do 50mpg

The only part that I didn't like was the clutch, which would occasionally produce a severe judder when pulling away.

As far as I know this more powerful 1.4tsi doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel and is probably on the cusp of needing one (all more powerful petrols have a DMF) which can expalain the judder under certain circumstances. Saying that there is no DMF to worry about then!

My 2014 1.4 EA111 (your version is the later EA211) has been averaging over 48mpg whilst on holiday to/in/from the lakes, not bad in a Skoda Superb barge! - infact not far behind my previous uperb 1.9pd which seemed to always do 50mpg

The engine was a real gem with plenty of performance, plus it could be very economical. My overall calculated mpg was 46.3 and I had several occasions where the calculate average for a tankful of petrol was over 50 mpg.The manual gearbox was excellent and I really enjoyed driving the car.

BEWARE.

Lillian_LL is obviously another SPAM seller who has only pasted a previous reply onto the end of the previous post and added a link into the post that could well infect your PC.

Following yesterdays SPAMfest its clear this forum needs to sort out its filters or die.

(Edit: I have hidden the spam post. Now I have to edit yours because in your haste to criticise the forum, you have reproduced the dodgy link. D'oh.)

Edited by Avant on 03/07/2019 at 00:37

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - FoxyJukebox

Great car--but whether you go for the Audi( petrol-my preference) or even a Leon ,make sure vehicle has had it's cam belt changed, check the advisories on the MOT website( tells you lots you may not want to see or hear), get the car fully serviced whether it needs it or not and then treat to yourself to 4 new tyres. Enjoy

make sure vehicle has had it's cam belt changed, check the advisories on the MOT website( tells you lots you may not want to see or hear), get the car fully serviced whether it needs it or not and then treat to yourself to 4 new tyres. Enjoy

Why?

The OPs budget of 10K would get them a car as new as a 2015 1.4 FR 150 PS with approx 50K on the clock.

At that age and mileage it does not need a cam belt (VAG's spec is 5 years or 120,000 miles)

It would only have been MOT'd twice max, possibly once, there should be very little to see.

If its due a service get the seller to get one done.

If the tyres are good why spend money, if they are shot get the deal to include 4 new ones.

The OP is looking a recent car and not a 10 year old banger.

Audi A3 - Audi A3 2014 Petrol or Diesel - FoxyJukebox

All good points Skidpan.Thankyou-I was not fully explaining myself

My comments were based on the fact that a 2015 car is still four years old and as you say, with a mileage of 50,000 a nice service and thorough maintenance check (whoever pays) would be an essential even if parting with £10k. A 2015 car may have only passed one MOT so far--but my own personal experience of Audi A3 ownership was worn brake shoes at 3 years old with a mileage of 22k, a seeping shock absorber and small crack on the windscreen. One of my tyres was worn low, the others were just about ok'ish but had been swopped from front to rear etc and might well have lasted a year or so-but at my own cost I replaced all four within a week of ownership. The dealer cautioned that VAG cam belts should be replaced every four years or --as you say 120,000 miles. With 50k on the clock -I would advise get the cam belt changed at point of purchase rather than £550+ a year later.( whoever pays)

Lovely car-expensive to maintain-but well worth the investment

The dealer cautioned that VAG cam belts should be replaced every four years or --as you say 120,000 miles. With 50k on the clock -I would advise get the cam belt changed at point of purchase rather than £550+ a year later.( whoever pays)

Shows how much dealers know, 4 years is for diesels. When I enquired about cam belts on the TSi I got 3 different answers from 3 different dealers (ranged from 3 years/30,000 miles to never needs doing) so asked Seat Customer Services and this was their reply.

"I am delighted to confirm that on your SEAT Leon, we recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first."

A rather long winded reply but for most cars the interval will be 5 years, very few will do more than 120,000 miles in that time.

As for £550 for a cam belt change the Seat menu price is £399 (inc VAT) for a petrol with a 5 year warranty. Whilst there is a menu item for a waterpump with the diesel cam belt there is no such item for the petrol thus I suspect the arrangement means that waterpump replacement is simple should it be needed later.