Which of these used cars would you choose? - OceanMan

I know this is a difficult question, but I'll supply all the information I can. Which do you think would be most reliable? Or would just be the best deal overall?

Peugeot 206, 1.4L Petrol, manual, 2005 (£500)

83,000 miles, had lots of repairs over the last few months including new thermostat, fuel injector,battery, cross climate tyres and a full service

Ford Fiesta, 1.25 L petrol, manual, 2010 Zetec (£1400)

100,000 miles, not serviced at all for four years, as far as I know, had no faults or repairs done for two years.

Obviously the Fiesta is superior to drive, but considering the extra miles / lack of servicing is it more likely a big problem could be lurking?

Which of these used cars would you choose? - Wee Willie Winkie

Suppose you need to ask yourself if the Fiesta is worth nearly three times the asking price of the Peugeot.

At this end of the market it's all about condition.

If both are in good(ish) condition I'd be buying the Peugeot and saving the other £900 for running costs.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - badbusdriver

Impossible to answer without seeing the cars.

Assuming you have the reg numbers of each, look up the MOT history online. This is by no means a definitive answer to which car is best, but it will give an indication as to how well or otherwise each car has been looked after. Look for things which crop up as advisories two or more years on the trot.

Why do you say the Fiesta will obviously be superior to drive?. The 206 was renowned for having absolutely cracking road manners in its day. Having said that, cheapo tyres and worn out suspension could make either drive like a bag of nails.

Both fairly simple and reliable (but again, a poorly serviced car could be hiding a multitude of sins which could see it heading for the scrapyard at its next MOT).

Does seem like a slightly disperate pair, i mean they are both 'cheap' cars, but the Fiesta is nearly 3 times the price. Is there some reason for your considering these two?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/06/2019 at 17:26

Which of these used cars would you choose? - gordonbennet

I'd need to see the Fiesta to decide.

206 sounds iffy, someone's spent a lot of money, including a set of pukka tyres only to flog it on, i'd be very wary of that one...unless its an old persons car, the sort who tend to get everything done and then decide to pack up driving.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/06/2019 at 17:29

Well basically, the Peugeot is mine and the Fiesta is my friend's, but she's getting rid of it for a much newer car and I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Peugeot or buy her fiesta (and sell the Peugeot). I bought the expensive tyres because I heard they were well worth it, before I knew I was gonna sell it. I've driven both and the fiesta seems much superior and less exhausting, though the Peugeot is pretty good to drive I guess. I think logically the Peugeot is the better economical choice, but I'm trying to decide if the fiesta is worth the extra cost and risk

Which of these used cars would you choose? - skidpan

Its simple.

The cheapest car is the one you already own.

Anything else will cost you money.

Of course, but I should have made it clear money wasn't the only factor. I think the fiesta is worth more, it's just a case of how much more I guess.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - gordonbennet

Ah, Pug history known, in which case you know exactly how good it is.

Conversely if you sold it you would be letting someone else have the benefit of your investment in it.

I'd keep the Pug going and get some value from the money you put into it, when it eventually needs to go there will be thousands of Fiestas to choose from if you still want one.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - FiestaOwner

The Fiesta will be overdue a cam belt change (given that it's not been serviced for 4 years), that's quite a costly job. It's due every 8 years or 100,000 miles. You can look up the intervals on the Ford Etis website: https://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do

Also it has missed oil changes for 4 years. This car is seriously neglected. I would keep a look out for a different one, which has had an owner who hasn't neglected it.

I prefer the Fiesta to the 206, but I would hang on to the 206 until you find something better.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - elekie&a/c doctor
The 206 was a good car in its time, but a 15 year old model will be worn out in many areas. This is banger money at £500. For this kind of outlay you are better off with a Focus mk 1 , which apart from a few suspect rot areas are pretty much indestructible. The Fiesta is in a different league , much more modern, however this one is too expensive. A friend as just bought a 2010 fiesta 1.25 with 80 k miles for £1000.

This is a strange one, a question about which would be the best between two cars, one of which you own!. With that in mind, why put a price on your own car, seeing as you clearly won't have to buy it?!.

Between the two though, your own car is obviously the best option, if, for no other reason, than the amount of money you have spent on it recently. But also, as doc says, your friends car is too expensive (way too expensive if it hasn't been serviced for 4 years).

I am curious about why you find the 206 exhausting to drive though?

I put the price on it because I think I could sell it for about that much. I was just asking as a hypothetical in that way to see what the responses would be here. I was being hyperbolic by saying the Peugeot is exhausting. I do find the gears and peddals a bit tiresome on long drives, hard to say why though.

Out of interest, what do you think would be a decent price for such a fiesta? I've looked on ebays completed listings and ones not too similar to that go for about £1000-£1500.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - SLO76
Don’t sell one old car you already know for another you don’t. At this end of the market you would be unwise to change for the sake of changing. Keep the old car until it’s done and save up to fund a genuine upgrade.
Which of these used cars would you choose? - edlithgow

Dunno about you, obviously,

BUT

I'd have absolutely no hesitation in deciding

NOT to buy a car maintained by

MY gf

But then MY gf

is TAIWANESE.

Which of these used cars would you choose? - Gibbo_Wirral

How about keeping the 206 but investing a little more in some seats from a scrap 207 sport?

Many other 206 owners have done this and it really improves the ride comfort, especially on long journeys.

Many other 206 owners have done this and it really improves the ride comfort, especially on long journeys.

It may well improve the 'comfort', but it doesn't make any difference at all to the 'ride comfort'. The only way to do this would be changing the suspension or changing the tyres (and the OP already has fitted cross climates). However, as it is the gearchange and pedals(??) the OP has trouble with, it wouldn't help.

Maybe something automatic and with cruise control would be best.

I have no problem with gears and peddals but the peugeot one's are a bit stiffer and not as smooth as the fiestas.

Edit: I really appreciate the answers by the way. The discussion has been interesting and informative

Edited by OceanMan on 27/06/2019 at 22:13

Which of these used cars would you choose? - Avant

I agree with most others - keep the 206 until it needs an uneconomical repair. As you've spent money on it already, you may get a bit more time out of it.

Meanwhle save up for the newer car that you'll eventually need. Fiestas have the advantage that there are lots about, and the 1.25 is the one to look for if buying used: but also think about a Toyota Yaris 1.3 - good to drive and more likely to be reliable.