New car for the Mrs - Paul Cliff
So I said to my wife early next year I’ll her a new car. We’ve had her Toyota Yaris from new (14 plate) and she wants something with 5 seats and maybe a little bigger. Either that or buy another reliable Yaris.

Here’s the line up:
- Fiat 500x
- Honda Civic
- Mazda 2
- Mini 5dr
- Nissan Juke

We like the 500x but it sure on reliability, Civic is safe bet, Mazda 2 fine but same size as Yaris, Mini is good but parts and servicing is a bit expensive, love the Juke cos of its higher ride can get a good spec for money.

We have up to £11k to spend, don’t want anything older than 2015, we have two kids (5 & 6) to ferry round with the odd extra child from school. Petrol only cos it’ll only do short journeys.

There are other cars but won’t something reliable and not to big (as we have an estate car;mine) also car might not be used for a few days so we want it to start.

Any help would be most helpful.

Thanks

Cliffhanger
New car for the Mrs - FiestaOwner

You seem to be saying that the Yaris has 4 seats. Mine definitely has 5 seats (5 seatbelts anyway). Will admit that the rear seat will be cramped, but should be ok with 3 kids around 6 years old.

Honda Civic is a very big car in comparison. Should you be considering a Honda Jazz instead?

You are considering changing a 5 year old car (which you've had from new & you know its history), for one around 4 years old. I would be tempted to keep the Yaris.

It has 5 seats, just another one with 5 seats not four.

The cars I have been looking at are 2016 and newer, just don’t one older than 2015.

New car for the Mrs - oldroverboy.

Left of field..

Kia venga or Hyundai ix20 1.4 petrol manual

Tardis like room inside.. At that buget, balance of 7 year warranty Kia 5 years hyundai.

Or MG zs 2017 or 2018 1.5 petrol manual, super comfy, swmbo is 5' 5ish and comfy and happy driving it, again balance of 7 year warranty.

Steer clear of mini and juke and Fiat reliability?

Honda good but poor visibility and marmite looks.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 26/06/2019 at 12:38

Why is it the cars that look cool and have funky interiors are the ones not to have or are unreliable....
Mini, Nissan Juke, Fiat 500x

And the ones that look bland and have the most awful looking interior are the ones to have.... Hyundai, Kia etc...

Yet you spend most of your time looking at it when you are driving and when it’s on your drive.

Mazda 2 seems the best of both worlds at the moment... or perhaps a new Yaris...
New car for the Mrs - John F
Why is it the cars that look cool and have funky interiors are the ones not to have or are unreliable.... And the ones that look bland and have the most awful looking interior are the ones to have....

Bit like humans, really.

New car for the Mrs - Ian_SW

I've had a Juke as a hire car a couple of times, and was impressed by how well it drove. Only had it for a week or so though so can't really comment on reliability. It was fine while I had it, unlike the Megane I'd had a few weeks before (To demonstrate that hire cars do go wrong sometimes)

If there is one available in the price range, I'd suggest adding a Toyota C-HR to the list. Juke type styling but with Toyota reliability.

Also if the 500x is a serious contender, how about the Jeep Renegade? Same car underneath, but without the odd (to me) oversized Fiat 500 look.

When looking nearly new, also don't automatically discount the "Obvious" choices (Focus, Astra, Mokka etc). With many more available locally you will have a far better choice of colours and specs than with a less common car.

New car for the Mrs - SLO76
I’d have a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv. It’s nice to to drive than anything else on your list and far more reliable than anything other than the Civic.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190304553...3

New car for the Mrs - oldroverboy.
I’d have a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv. It’s nice to to drive than anything else on your list and far more reliable than anything other than the Civic. Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190304553...3

Ditto. Attractive car and good petrol engine

New car for the Mrs - nellyjak

Personally, I'd stick with the Yaris.

Would steer clear of most of the makes/models you have on your list.

New car for the Mrs - mcb100
I’m pretty sure that by early next year we’ll have the new Juke, or we’ll be in the last days of the current one. May result in residual values dropping for current model, meaning more car for your money.

Edited by mcb100 on 26/06/2019 at 15:44

New car for the Mrs - badbusdriver

Mazda CX3. Same reliable engine as the 3, but with the higher driving position you want. Also, a fantastic looking car (though obviously that is down to personal preference). Here is an approved used example from a dealer.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190615905...1

New car for the Mrs - drd63
Good to see chauvanism alive and kicking “I said to my wife I’ll (buy) her a new car”. What had she done to deserve such largess? And now you’ll chose that car my asking the opinions of an almost exclusively male group.
New car for the Mrs - Ethan Edwards

Suzuki Swift..we have the 1 litre Turbo..they even do a 1.4Turbo but imo that's just too much power. The 1 litre is just fine. You'll pick up a nearly new one for your budget.

New car for the Mrs - Hugh Watt

Well, you didn't get much support for that comment, drd63, so I'll give you mine. The words you quote are indeed cringe-making.

New car for the Mrs - Avant

I too pay for SWMBO's cars: does that make me a chauvinist? If 'Clifffhanger' is the main breadwinner it seems the natural thing to do.

As you already have a bigger car, I'd agree with those above who favour keeping the Yaris, which you've had from new and is thus a known quantity. Maybe give it another year until you can increase the budget a bit (unless of course you meant £11k plus what you can get for the Yaris).

It could be worth looking at prices for run-out models of the current Juke - but bear in mind that Nissans don't have the reputation for reliability that they used to.

New car for the Mrs - John F

I too pay for SWMBO's cars

So do I

As you already have a bigger car, I'd agree with those above who favour keeping the Yaris, which you've had from new and is thus a known quantity.

So would I - unless you really do need a bigger car. Should have at least another ten more years life if Jap reliability matches our Focus. Anyone who buys it cheaply now and keeps it for ten years will enjoy the bargain you could have had.

New car for the Mrs - Heidfirst

they could even keep it in warranty for the next 7 years if they wished ...

New car for the Mrs - badbusdriver

Already mentioned, but worth pointing out that an £11k budget would get you into 2018 Kia Venga with the 1.4 petrol (so warranty runs till 2025), or a 2017 if you wanted the 1.6.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190522821...1

Or a slightly more offbeat alternative, a 2017 Kia Soul, could be had for the money. 7 years warranty will be valid till 2024.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190324621...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/06/2019 at 17:28

New car for the Mrs - Snakey

My wife has had a Mini, a Juke and and a Civic (current car) and prefers the Civic in most ways.

The Mini was the second favourite but appalling space inside. Fun to drive but bouncy ride. Expensive for parts.

The Juke was merely 'meh'. Average to drive and really quite poor reliability and build quality.

I also prefer the Civic, in 1.8 petrol form its nice to drive, looks nice and has been cheap to run. It also seems to hold a lot of stuff for its size!

New car for the Mrs - Xileno

New car for the Mrs?

...depends what she looks like ;-)