Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - dac1

Hi,
I have a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. I've owned it for over six years. I've never had to top up the Antifreeze/Coolant. However...
Three months ago I have a full cam-belt kit and water pump replacement done. One month ago I decided to check my oil and thought I'd check the rest of my car's fluids. I noticed my Antifreeze/Coolant was well below the minimum level. I thought this was due to the mechanics scrimping on topping up the Antifreeze/Coolant after they can done the replacement. I decided to fill up the Antifreeze/Coolant to over the maximum level. I drove it for a week and noticed it had gone down to below the maximum level. Now considering I haven't needed to top up my Antifreeze/Coolant in six years, and now the fluid keeps going down after the cam-belt/water pump change - I'm thinking something is wrong. I should say, through my tests, it seems to only go down when the car is being used. If I let the car sit for a week it doesn't go down.

Through what I can see there seems to be liquid dripping from underneath the Antifreeze/Coolant reservoir onto the engine mount. I know it's called the engine mount as the below video @ 1:35 the guy grabs (and says) the engine mount.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jpfCZJVCnw

There is fluid on top of the engine mount, causing some beige corrosion, and underneath the car. I have video footage of this (can't seem to attach the video to this post).

I do not know, can't see, if it is the water pump spraying out water of if the reservoir itself is leaking. All I know is before I took the car in for a cam-belt and water pump change there was no leak in over six years I've owned it and after the change there is now a leak.

Any ideas as to what could be the culprit?

What are my entitlements for repair? (simply put they have caused this). I have the receipt. Do I have 12 months warranty - is this the norm?

If they decline to help then who can I go to (trading standards, mechanic ombudsman,etc..) to have them pursue the mechanics?

Thanks.

Edited by dac1 on 21/06/2019 at 22:15

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - elekie&a/c doctor
Take it back to the repairing garage and explain what has happened. It is possible that the new pump is leaking , and if so, will be covered under warranty. It may be an unrelated fault, but at least give the mechanic a chance to investigate and report back. An sensible garage will help.
Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - Andrew-T

Don't know where the water-pump is on a Focus, but if your coolant ends up below the reservoir, it seems that is where it is coming from. Maybe airlocks in the system were not properly eliminated and are working their way up to the reservoir and overflowing? In that case it may settle down after a while. Three months is a long time tho. Time to take it back for checking.

Edited by Andrew-T on 22/06/2019 at 10:37

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - Galaxy

Yes, you should definitely take the car back to the garage that carried out the repair to be checked.

They'll probably be able to place the cooling system under pressure when cold to see where, if anywhere, the coolant is coming out.

It's very unlikely that any possibly airlocks won't have found their way out after 3 months but you never know.

Take it back - Be safe rather than sorry!

I have just spoken to the garage. They have advised me to bring the vehicle in for them to check. However, on the phone the owner was saying it sounds like it is a leaking expansion tank and they are a common problem on Ford vehicles. The owner also suggested he is not liable for the fix of a expansion tank as it wasn't something his garage worked on. He also said that it's been three months since the cam-belt and water pump was replaced so why didn't I come back sooner? My reply to him was this:

1) I've owned the car for over six years and never had to top up the Antifreeze/Coolant. Then I have the cam-belt and water pump replaced and then the Antifreeze/Coolant reservoir, or somewhere in that area, is now leaking. So for the owner to say he didn't work on that area I think is a little off and he would need to remove the reservoir to get to the cam-belt and water pump.

2) As for the three months period. I informed the owner I checked the fluids about a month ago (two months after the replacement). I asked is it unreasonable to check the fluids only every two months? How can I then bring back a car for an issue that I wasn't aware of? The past month has been me ordering Antifreeze/Coolant, waiting for it to arrive, topping the fluid up, waiting to see if it goes down (also being away for over a week).

The next step is for me to return the car for the garage for inspection. He has advised that if it's the reservoir expansion tank then he will not fix it free of charge. I feel this is wrong as they would've had to remove the area to do the work.

Where do I stand on this?

I have suggested I will email him detailing the situation and he advised he will respond. He also advised that if I took him to court (I never said I would take him to court but I guess that's what he thinks I'm thinking) I would lose and he is clued up on the legal affairs. I don't want this escalated. I just want my car working properly considering I've paid them a £1k for various pieces of work three months ago.

Advice please?

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - Galaxy

The Expansion Tank, which is made from plastic, will have been moved out of the way in order to carry out the cambelt and waterpump replacement. Over the years I'm afraid that plastic does tend to become more and more brittle and it's therefore quite possible, during this process, that the tank might have cracked.

It's not really the fault of the garage if this is what has happened, I'm afraid. When you carry out repairs on cars then I'm very sorry to have to say that, sometimes, things like this do happen. Had the garage noticed at the time of the original repair that the tank had cracked then it would have been better, really, if they had fitted a new tank at the time and added the cost to your bill. However, they probably weren't aware of the fact and it's possible that obtaining a replacement tank could possibly have delayed your job from being completed.

My own opinion is that the garage are quite within their rights not to replace the tank free of charge if that's what the problem turns out to be. Possibly others may-well disagree.

If it were my car and, after the inspection, the garage determine that the tank has, indeed, broken or cracked then I'd either ask them to replace the tank as a new and chargeable job or, probably more likely, just ask for the car to be returned as it is, but I'd order a replacement tank from someone on Ebay or from a scrapyard, and fit it myself. It won't be a difficult or lengthy job.

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - John F

We have an eighteen year old 1.6 Zetec Focus and I think Galaxy is spot on with his opinion. This story sounds like another expensive example of ignoring the usually reliable aphorism 'if it works, don't mend it'. What age and mileage? Why was the water pump replaced? Probably the reservoir was roughly handled and stuffed/clamped out of the way of the operating field and has now developed a tiny crack near the bottom where the pipe goes.

John F - the car is 13 yrs old and has done 90k. The water pump was replaced along with the cam-belt kit. This was replaced as the age and mileage warranted it. Why do you say 'expensive'? It hasn't actually run out of Antifreeze/Coolant. I understand the expansion tank is an overflow for when the pressure rises. The online price for an expansion tank is £16 so it's cheap unless I am missing something?

Galaxy - thank you for your reply. It sounds like sound advice. I have found the below video on how to replace the expansion tank. It seems like a simple process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rbzv0yHuRU

I feel like just doing it myself rather than have the issue of the garage owner saying his garage never broke the extension tank. His words were 'we would have to throw it across the floor for us to have caused it'.

If you guys feels they should repair it free of charge then I will take the hassle on but if you feel I'd be wiser just just order a £16 part and do it myself then I will. Just don't like it when trade take the p*** if I am within my right for a free repair. I can see it dripping from underneath the expansion tank. Not sure where the crack is though as it could be crack anywhere on it and then the drip is rolling to the lowest point before falling.

The video in the link has the guy saying it leaks when the car is on generating pressure. When I have had the car sat there for a week, without using it, the Antifreeze/Coolant didn't go down. As soon as I drive it it then starts to leak.

If I do this myself, is the any pressure realising I need to do, like swap the part over, top up the fluid, and then run the engine with the cap off to let any air escape?

Edited by dac1 on 22/06/2019 at 19:25

FOLLOW UP TO MY LAST MESSAGE.

I've just been out and had a better look for the leak, as the car has been sat cold for 24 hours.
I can a pink Antifreeze/Coolant liquid drip from the very underside of the expansion tank. This drip is a few inches to the left of the engine mount and no where near the water pump. Unless you guys correct me, I believe this to be an expansion tank leak and therefore something I can do myself. For the sake of £16 I'll do it rather than go to the mechanic and have him raise my blood pressure by saying he didn't do it.

I expect I'll go to EuroCarParts for the expansion tank.

Can I ask:
1) Is there any particular brand I should go for (I presume cheap brands will crack in no time)? EuroCarParts have the EIS brand - any good?

2) Once I've changed the expansion tank, reconnected all the hoses and topped up with fluid - do I need to make sure there is no air in the system and how would I do this? (I presume I can just switch on the engine with the expansion tank cap off to let any air escape?

3) I've read online that I need to replace the expansion tank cap too - is this correct? Can I not use my existing cap as that seems fine?

Thanks.

If I were you I would use a long thin tube to siphon out the coolant from the tank, remove the hoses, take the tank off, clean and dry it, identify the crack, and seal it with glue inside (using a long thin stick) and outside with araldite or some such. Allow to set, re-install and replace the coolant.

Can't understand why they stung you for water pump replacement. It's not driven by the cambelt and as far as I know is not an advisory. Ours is still silent and continent at 18yrs old and 139,000 miles.

Edited by John F on 23/06/2019 at 11:08

Before splashing out on a new bottle, release it from its mounting and check that the hoses are fully home and that the clips have been fitted in the correct places .There is usually a white marker on the hose that identifies the location of where the clip should be . If you find that there is a leak from the bottle, then I would try and go for a Ford genuine part. The Ecp Eis unit is an Ok part, ,but no where near as good quality as the original . No need to change the cap. When replacing the bottle, just clamp off the hoses with some self grip (mole) pliers.

John F - I'd rather not attempt to repair the leak. I'd imagine the pressure it is under will cause the repair to split in no time. Cam-belts I think are due around the 70-80k mileage mark. Having mine done at 90k I think was more than late enough. You are often advised online to have the water pump replaced at the same time to save on labour costs down the line.

elekie&a/a doctor - I've seen lots of second-hand original Ford expansion tanks on ebay for as little as £13. My concern is how do I know these are sound?? I guess I don't.

If someone can pin-point a cheap but reliable/robust part then I'd be grateful. Would prefer not to pay silly prices.

Thanks.

Edited by dac1 on 23/06/2019 at 12:02

Mr John F is correct , the water pump is not driven by the cam belt, But, on the mk 2 Focus , Ford changed the design of the cam belt drive train , so that one of the cam belt guide pulleys is part of the water pump housing . Backwards engineering.

So with that said... I was correct to have my water pump replaced at the same time as the cam-belt (or to put it another way, I didn't have a choice if a cam-belt pulley is built into the water pump).

I've seen a good few Ford original second-hand expansion tanks on Ebay but they could be brittle and crack as I install it. I'm going to purchase a Hella expansion tank as I've heard these are good quality.

Edited by dac1 on 23/06/2019 at 20:29

John F - I'd rather not attempt to repair the leak. I'd imagine the pressure it is under will cause the repair to split in no time.

There's hardly any pressure - 15psi max - unless you've got a serious CHG failure which blows it out all over the place!

Cam-belts I think are due around the 70-80k mileage mark. Having mine done at 90k I think was more than late enough.

Not really. This engine has a sturdy cambelt design, intended to be good for 150,000 miles. The precaution advisory is 10yrs/100,000 miles. (ours is still going strong at 139,000 and 18yrs - and I have no intention of changing it, as it looks and sounds fine)

You are often advised online to have the water pump replaced at the same time

That might make sense if the water pump is driven by the cambelt (it isn't) and has done at least 100,000 miles.

If I were you I would use a long thin tube to siphon out the coolant from the tank, remove the hoses, take the tank off, clean and dry it, identify the crack, and seal it with glue inside (using a long thin stick) and outside with araldite or some such. Allow to set, re-install and replace the coolant.

Usually I am in agreement with John-F on his economy measures, but on this occasion I think it may be going too far to try bodging a fairly cheap plastic item which has to withstand a moderate pressure under operating conditions. Better to get a decent replacement and satisfy one's DiY urges by refitting the hoses to an intact part.

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - skidpan

There's hardly any pressure - 15psi max - unless you've got a serious CHG failure which blows it out all over the place!

JohnF. Why not take your car for a good long drive and get it really hot. When you get home remove the cap off the expansion bottle and then you will see how little pressure there is in there.

Okay guys, so I've just done my final check before I get the part and crack on with the replacement. Here is what I found.

Leaving the car to sit still for 24 hours I opened up the bonnet and rub tissue all over the expansion tank to see if it was dripping anywhere whilst cold. There was a tiny wet bit (not even a full drop) dead centre at the lowest point of the expansion tank. Now I don't think this is where the crack is, for reasons I'm about to explain, I think this is the where the last drop ran down to from yesterday.

I placed tissue underneath each pipe leading in/out of the expansion tank and underneath the car where possibly the water pump would leak. I then switched the engine on and just let it run. No drops for 15 minutes but then a tiny drop fell from the underneath the upper part of the expansion tank. A drop once a minute to start with, then every 30 seconds. I felt the expansion tank and could clearly feel it getting hotter and hotter. So it does get very hot. Bear in mind this is just letting the car tick over with the odd rev. I wasn't actually driving it. So I'd imagine when driving it the leak would get worse (drip more) due to the pressure. I took the tissue away and the drop was hitting the top of the engine mount every time in the same place.

Now I knew it was dripping I ran a dry tissue around the pipes in/out of the expansion tank and around the rest of the expansion tank. No drops, not even a drop where I found the leftover drop from the yesterday.

I shone a touch around the engine and where the water pump would be during this exercise and I couldn't see any moisture/wetness. No wetness on the tissue underneath the car either.

So unless you disagree I am pretty sure it is the expansion tank that has a crack and causing the leakage - disagree if you want?

Some final questions:
1) When I replace the expansion tank with the Hella (good make I hear) replacement I will pour the Antifreeze/Coolant into a bottle - am I okay to reuse that Antifreeze/Coolant as it is only 1-3 months old?

2) Once I've put all back together again should I leave the expansion tank cap off and let the car tick over to allow any air escape through the open expansion tank?

3) Is there anything else I need to do so not to damage the car or is it really as simple as this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rbzv0yHuRU

4) Do you think it cracked due to old age (13 yrs and 90k) or is the Antifreeze/Coolant quality (50/50 mix) causing a problem?

5) Whilst I have the expansion tank off I would like to clean the area where the Antifreeze/Coolant has dripped. Am I okay to use washing liquid or some WD40 on the engine mount and surrounding area?

6) And one final question, with the dripping (leak) coming from the underneath of the upper half of the expansion tank (if that makes sense), it doesn't explain why I saw the Antifreeze/Coolant level just above the radiator hose (so at the very bottom of the expansion tank) because the leak is coming from the underneath of the highest half of the expansion tank, unless the Antifreeze/Coolant expanded, say 3 inches, whilst driving and then went down. Seems odd??

I appreciate this is not the most serious car issue on this forum but I've spent a lot on the car recently and can't afford to pay for more fixing, or afford for the car to develop a more serious fault if I don't follow the correct procedure.

Thanks.

Edited by dac1 on 24/06/2019 at 19:47

Ford Focus - leak after cambelt/water pump change - sammy1

You say somewhere that it does not leak if not driven, are you sure that the pressure release cap is OK given the age?

Is that the cap on the expansion tank itself?

I do not know if that cap is okay or any other cap is fine for that matter. All I know is I've owned the car for over six years and never had to top up the Antifreeze/Coolant. Then had a cam-belt kit and water pump fitted three months ago, and since then Antifreeze/Coolant is dripping from the expansion tank. So I'm thinking the moving of the expansion tank to fit the cam-belt kit and water pump have caused the, brittle, expansion tank to have a crack which is leaking when under pressure, or the new water pump and fresh Antifreeze/Coolant is too much for my old car (surely not though as older cars have their water pump replaced).

When I replace the expansion tank, unless I get an expansion tank cap, I will my existing expansion tank cap I currently have. I'm no mechanic but from my test tonight it is the underneath of the upper part of the expansion tank that is dripping.

Edited by dac1 on 24/06/2019 at 21:07

I have read your post again. You either have an air lock from the original water pump job, cracked bottle, or faulty cap. The problem started after the water pump change so my money is on an air lock causing over pressure and this is released by the filler cap and coolant would run down from the top. Unless you can see a crack which you can't I would not go with this or the cap. If you google Focus expansion tank problems it may change your outlook and you should try to clear possible airlock. As you say there was no coolant problem before the water pump go back to root cause and NOT somewhere else.

When you mention 'an air lock from the original water pump job' - are you referring to the water pump from when the car was built or the water pump that was fitted three months ago?

When you mention filler cap - are you referring to the expansion tank cap?

How can I get rid off a cooling system airlock? Will removing the expansion tank cap and letting the car tick over for half hour remove the airlock?

Does having a airlock cause damage to the car and what part of the car will be damaged?

Thanks.

If all you are doing is replacing the expansion tank with a new one, empty all the contents into a jug or something similar, detach all hoses (hopefully they will separate easily) and tie them up as high as is convenient to prevent entry of air. Hose off the engine mounts etc. with water and let dry. Connect hoses to new tank, refit and replace removed coolant. Old cap should fit new tank and be serviceable. There should be no airlocks to worry about. Run engine and check hose connections. No worries .....

I don't buy the tale of airlocks lasting for three months. Repeated use of an engine sends locked air into the expansion tank quicker than that.

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/06/2019 at 00:07

Thanks Andrew-T.

Yes, I'm only replacing the expansion tank.

If there is an airlock, or I manage to get air in the hoses, the how do I get rid of it?

Edited by dac1 on 25/06/2019 at 00:26

If a cracked tank is the root of your problem I don't think you should have any airlocks left in the system - your coolant losses are caused by increased pressure in a working engine. The problem follows the waterpump operation, so if that new pump is leak-free, the most likely other cause seems to be damage to the old tank, which may be brittle with age. It's possible that the pressure-relief cap has become faulty, but that would be an unlikely coincidence, unless it was also damaged during the work.

Cooling systems I am used to have other bleed points for releasing trapped air, and your garage should have used them after refilling your system. Some air probably remained, but should have migrated to the top tank after three months. See what happens after your new tank has settled down.

You could refine your check for leaks by wrapping the tank-cap with paper-towel while the engine runs, just to be sure the leak is at the base of the tank.

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/06/2019 at 10:39

I'm reading elsewhere that t could be a faulty water pump or a damaged head gasket. How do I test for these things? Would running the heater test it in some way and how?

And should the expansion tank become hot whilst the car is ticking over or should the coolant keep the expansion tank cool?

Edited by dac1 on 25/06/2019 at 12:32

I'm reading elsewhere that t could be a faulty water pump or a damaged head gasket.

Unlikely. I thought you said the pump had been (probably unnecessarily) replaced.

How do I test for these things?

A faulty water pump could leak, make a noise from a failed bearing, or just not circulate the water properly if its impellor blades had disintegrated (some cheapskate ones are made of plastic). They can usually do huge mileages these days. A failing CHG will contaminate the oil and mysteriously lose coolant long before a pressure test will reveal a fault.

Would running the heater test it in some way ...?

No. But sometimes those who don't keep an eye on their coolant level only know that much of it has disappeared when the heater runs cold.

And should the expansion tank become hot whilst the car is ticking over ..

Yes - eventually

or should the coolant keep the expansion tank cool?

No. It keeps the engine cool. Even after driving up an alp on a hot day it will never get hotter than boiling point - circa 120degC at around 20psi

I'm reading elsewhere that t could be a faulty water pump or a damaged head gasket. How do I test for these things? Would running the heater test it in some way and how?

You are worrying unnecessarily. Before your cambelt change the car apparently had a stable and working cooling system. Nothing has happened since except this garage work, so do not start suspecting other causes without good reason. A very remote possibility is that the replacement pump was itself faulty. Given the method shown on your video, accidental damage to the top-tank or its relief-cap seems the most likely cause, so deal with that first.

Some final questions:.......

...and answers...

1) Yes. Coolant lasts the life of the car. (ours is 18yrs old....even older in my TR7). I have argued why elsewhere.

2) No need.

3) No

4)A combination of old age and rough handling by your mechanic. Nothing to do with the coolant.

5)Just use an old slightly oily rag.

6) Can't answer this. You almost certainly have a tiny hairline split which only leaks when a bit of pressure develops in the tank. This pressure never gets higher than about 15-20psi (the reservoir cap is a pressure release valve) which is hardly anything - half car tyre pressure and a quarter of bicycle tyre pressure. You will probably only locate the crack after taking the tank off, cleaning it and inspecting with a magnifying glass. If you can't afford to spend money on it just use a bit of glue as I previously suggested.

JohnF. Why not take your car for a good long drive and get it really hot. When you get home remove the cap off the expansion bottle and then you will see how little pressure there is in there.

'Really hot' ?? Basic physics should tell you that no matter how long the drive it can't get hotter than around 120degC thanks to the cap which is designed to release gas at a pressure of around 15 - 20 psi. - which is hardly anything. In practice this never happens as the fans keep the coolant at around 90 deg C.

Edited by John F on 25/06/2019 at 13:16

'Really hot' ?? Basic physics should tell you that no matter how long the drive it can't get hotter than around 120degC thanks to the cap which is designed to release gas at a pressure of around 15 - 20 psi. - which is hardly anything. In practice this never happens as the fans keep the coolant at around 90 deg C.

The stat on a Zetec is designed to keep the engine at 92 degrees (on early Escort and Mondeo ones it was 88 degrees). The fan is 2 stage, the first comes on at about 100 degrees, the 2nd at about 110.

By "really hot" I actually meant "normal" ie 92 but since a modern temp gauge lies its not a simple matter of driving until it shows normal since the gauge shows "normal" from about 60 to 120 degrees. It only deflects to the right just before meltdown occurs, its little more than a warning light in reality.

So are you going to try my suggestion and take off the cap when the car is full up to temp and report back about what happens? Since you are are so certain there is hardly any pressure you will be fine.

Warning to less knowledgeable forum users. Taking off the filler cap when the engine is at normal operating temperature will result in severe burns due to the coolant escaping so please do not try it.

I don't buy the tale of airlocks lasting for three months. Repeated use of an engine sends locked air into the expansion tank quicker than that

The cooling circuit on Ford engines (Zetec, Sigma, Duratec) is very well designed and in the unlikely event of air getting trapped during a coolant change it will automatically bleed out in a very short period. But its important to check the level regularly for a few days and top up when its cooled down if necessary with a water/antifreeze mix.

One tip. Do not use water strait from the tap. It contains air and as that is released the coolant level drops. In engines that have a tendency to trap air it can lead to hot spots and later problems. I always use water that has been in a container for a few days prior to use and never have an issue with the level dropping. Alternatively bottled distilled water can be used but never had an issue with tap water in approx 45 years. If its good enough to drink and bath in its good enough for the engine.

<< Do not use water straight from the tap. It contains air and as that is released the coolant level drops. I always use water that has been in a container for a few days prior to use and never have an issue with the level dropping. >>

Just to be clear: if you want to use air-free water, boil any gas out of it briefly before use. Gases dissolve best in cold liquids, and are removed by a quick boil. They tend to redissolve gradually on standing. And if you live in a hard-water district (most of south-east England) get distiiled or deionised water for the cooling system - or use Highland Spring :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/06/2019 at 16:12

<< Do not use water straight from the tap. It contains air and as that is released the coolant level drops. I always use water that has been in a container for a few days prior to use and never have an issue with the level dropping. >>

Much lack of basic science knowledge here. Even if the coolant was 100%water, the five litres would still only contain around 0.1 of a gram of air - resulting in an infinitesimal level drop. Even shaking up half a litre of cola releasing three grams of carbon dioxide results in a hardly discernible level drop. Water 'in a container for a few days' will contain just as much air as water from the tap, although it might be more palatable having lost a few molecules of chlorine.

Just to be clear: if you want to use air-free water, boil any gas out of it briefly before use.

Unnecessary, and in any case would occur during the first drive of the car.

if you live in a hard-water district (most of south-east England) get distiiled or deionised water for the cooling system - or use Highland Spring :-)

Again, unnecessary waste of money. The tiny quantity of suspended minerals will do no significant damage during the umpteen year life of the coolant/car. But if you really want mineral-free water, use rainwater from the butt.

<< But if you really want mineral-free water, use rainwater from the butt. >>

Now that really is a daft suggestion. At least tap water will be clean, even if it does contain some dissolved air. Water from a butt (at least from my butt) contains anything the passing birds choose to drop on my roof, plus algae or fallout from local trees. If you don't mind that in your cooling system, go ahead. Or filter it first.

And (following your earlier point, John) coolant does not necessarily 'last the life of the car'. I have seen the top-tank of my daughter's Mk-1 Clio full of what can only be described as something between gravy and Windsor soup. That would be because of a cast-iron block and the fact that Renault didn't bother to suggest regular changes of coolant, so no-one bothered. And perhaps previous owners had topped up with water from their butt.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/06/2019 at 10:44

<< But if you really want mineral-free water, use rainwater from the butt. >>

Now that really is a daft suggestion. At least tap water will be clean, even if it does contain some dissolved air. Water from a butt (at least from my butt) contains anything the passing birds choose to drop on my roof, plus algae or fallout from local trees.

No need to be rude! The tap on the butt is a few inches from the bottom. The contaminants you mention sink or float. After settling, the water emerges clear.

And (following your earlier point, John) coolant does not necessarily 'last the life of the car'. I have seen the top-tank of my daughter's Mk-1 Clio full of what can only be described as something between gravy and Windsor soup. That would be because of a cast-iron block .....

I suspect the Clio (age?miles?) might have a problem, then. Does it need regular topping up? If so, CHG is failing and would account for the colour. The Ford Zetec also has a cast iron block and my nearly 19yr old 140,000m coolant is pink and clear. Renault have had life-long sealed coolant systems for decades. Obviously it won't last the life of the car if the CHG needs replacing or some other cause for incontinence develops.

<< The contaminants you mention sink or float. After settling, the water emerges clear. >>

I still wouldn't use it in a cooling system. All kinds of solutions are 'clear' including sea water (if you let it settle).

<< Does it need regular topping up? >>

I'm talking many years ago now, John. The Clio was probably about 7 years old and otherwise in decent running order. Cars of that era - perhaps not so much now - needed their coolant changed every few years because the antioxidant degraded, especially if the pH was affected by careless additions.

<< The contaminants you mention sink or float. After settling, the water emerges clear. >>

I still wouldn't use it in a cooling system.

Why not? Bermudans have to drink it all the time! It's also good for car washing and the screenwash as it doesn't smear.

All kinds of solutions are 'clear' including sea water (if you let it settle)....

.....and hydrochloric acid. Your point is...?

Rainwater is not really a 'solution' as it has fewer solutes than tap water, which contains unwanted minerals and chlorine. It will probably have a few suspended microorganisms but they will do no harm.

<< Does it need regular topping up? >>

I'm talking many years ago now, John. The Clio was probably about 7 years old and otherwise in decent running order. Cars of that era - perhaps not so much now - needed their coolant changed every few years because the antioxidant degraded......,

No they didn't. The Clio was introduced here in 1992. My friend's mother had a Renault in the early 1970s. It had a sealed for life cooling system. You don't need an antioxidant if oxygen can't get in. (It wasn't very effective....I remember driving to Portugal in it with the heater full on to keep it cool!).

.....especially if the pH was affected by careless additions.

What? Lemonade? Bleach?

Perhaps you remember the 1960s when old bangers could be seen at the top of hills erupting steamy orange gunge.......

<< Your point is...? >>

I hoped I had implied that a clear liquid is not necessarily free of nasties, impurity if you prefer.

<< The Clio was introduced here in 1992. My friend's mother had a Renault in the early 1970s. It had a sealed for life cooling system. >>

That may well be true. The service schedule with my daughter's Clio made no mention of changing coolant, suggesting that was still their attitude. Even though the engine didn't overheat, I decided that thick brown liquid was not the ideal coolant, so I changed it. Other makers at the time (Peugeot for one) thought that was a good idea every 2 or 3 years.

Maybe you should stick to physics and leave chemistry to others ? :-))

So are you going to try my suggestion and take off the cap when the car is full up to temp and report back about what happens? Since you are are so certain there is hardly any pressure you will be fine.

Yes, I'll try it. Watch this space. Might use car today, might not.

Warning to less knowledgeable forum users. Taking off the filler cap when the engine is at normal operating temperature will result in severe burns due to the coolant escaping......

I very much doubt it. Anyway, thanks to the translucency of the tank the filler cap never needs to be removed these days, thus avoiding the repeated introduction of a fresh supply of corrosive oxygen every time the level was checked.

So are you going to try my suggestion and take off the cap when the car is full up to temp and report back about what happens?

SWMBO just back from 26 mile round trip, so nicely 'full up to temp'. And oil near minimum, soon due for top up. Cap cautiously removed. Very slight transient hiss of air. Coolant well below boiling point according to the tip of my finger which remains unscalded, let alone a 'severe burn' !

Looking forward to a follow-up post from the OP re what he has done.

So are you going to try my suggestion and take off the cap when the car is full up to temp and report back about what happens?

SWMBO just back from 26 mile round trip, so nicely 'full up to temp'. And oil near minimum, soon due for top up. Cap cautiously removed. Very slight transient hiss of air. Coolant well below boiling point according to the tip of my finger which remains unscalded, let alone a 'severe burn' !

Looking forward to a follow-up post from the OP re what he has done.

(Gratuitous personal insult deleted)

Edited by Avant on 27/06/2019 at 02:18

As this seems to be the most interesting and also non sensible thread on here at the moment, I will add my two pennies worth. When you add any fluid to a cooling system regardless of the air content of the fluid, there will be beads of air trapped in the rad, hoses engine water jacket and filler tank. You do NOT remove the filler cap of any HOT closed cooling system unless you are very foolish.

I had a Ford fiesta and it took me hours of messing around with the thing to get rid of an airlock

OP here. I'm surprised how many posts a little coolant leak has achieved. Thanks for your contributions.

Well, I'm still waiting for the expansion tank to arrive before I can attempt the replacement. I did do the following last evening:
1) Placed the bonnet up/open and removed the expansion tank cap.
2) I set my interior heater to full blast and on full temp.
3) I then switched on my engine.
4) I let it tick over for 15 minutes with the odd rev to 3,000rpm, and the occasional squeeze of the hoses that I could see and safely reach.

I did this to try to eliminate an airlock, just in case there was an airlock present, and that it hadn't cleared itself during the past three months. I was watching the Antifreeze/Coolant in the expansion tank to see if there were gulps/burps of air. There wasn't any at all. Now this isn't to say there wasn't an airlock initially, maybe there was and maybe that's why the Antifreeze/Coolant was way below the minimum level when I first saw it a month ago. If there was an airlock present there doesn't seem to be any airlocks now.

Even with the expansion tank cap off during my test yesterday the expansion tank did leak (drip) on the underside. The same place I saw it dripping the other day. It just wasn't so regular, I guess due to the cap being off. So it would seem I do not need a high amount of pressure (as the cap was off) for it to leak. There was still no signs of leakage around the cap itself or the hoses. I guess two months of driving (2k), doing motorways too, was enough for the slight leak to lose over two inches of Antrifreeze/Coolant (again if there was an airlock then that may have taken the bulk of the drop).

Anyway, once the replacement turns up I shall swap all over. I'll repeat the steps 1-4 in this message (just above) once I've connected the new expansion tank for good measure.

I just hope it is the expansion tank that needs replacing and nothing more. I have read other's posts on other forums where people are mentioning the head gasket. I have no reason to think it's that but who knows what damaged the mechanic may have done if they were rough-handed. I did check the inside of the oil cap and it was pure fresh oil. No white frothy substance which I think is a sign of a head gasket problem. I also don't believe the mechanic would need to touch the radiator to replace a cam-belt and water pump so all should be fine. The expansion tank cap looked absolutely fine too.

I think my biggest grievance is the garage saying it's not their fault/problem. Clearly them doing the job has damaged my expansion tank (brittle or not). I guess I'd have better luck if I went back to them with two weeks rather than three months, it's just I didn't notice it till recently. Just p***es me off.

I'll let you know if the replacement fixes the leak.

Edited by dac1 on 26/06/2019 at 19:09

Dac1, in reply to your latest, I can't think of any way a very heavy-handed mechanic might cause a head gasket to fail, at least soon afterwards.

Re your experiment with the header tank: let's assume it has a small crack. You run the engine for a while and some coolant gets expelled. Engine then cools, causing a slight partial vacuum in the system, which therefore stops leaking, at least until you take the cap off. That may explain what you have just described. Normally a cooling system will be filled cold, so will be under some pressure when the engine has warmed up. If an engine overheats, excess pressure may relieve via the tank-cap. This safety-valve allows the system to get a few degrees hotter before the water actually boils.

The cambelt in my car (a diesel) was changed a few months ago, and next day I found no visible coolant in the header tank. The 'mechanic' had not run the engine long enough for the thermostat to open and clear the airlocks. It didn't cause the engine to overheat, which just shows that the tank doesn't have to be full; but the translucent plastic makes it easy to check for losses.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/06/2019 at 19:38

I can see on the main page that further posts are being applied to this thread, along with each 'Replies' increment I can see the 'Lastest Reply' time increases, however I cannot see any additional posts on this thread. So if people are asking me questions then I cannot see them.

<this post in itself will act as a test to see if I can see it>

The Ford Zetec also has a cast iron block and my nearly 19yr old 140,000m coolant is pink and clear.

JohnF. I thought your Focus was a 1.6. If it is you will find its has an alloy block. The 1.6 used the Yamaha designed engine that has been used in 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 versions in the Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo etc.

If your car is a 1.8 or 2.0 it will have a cast iron block since its the Ford designed Zetec taht was introduced in the Mk1 Mondeo and was slightly modified for the later Mondeo and Mk 1 Focus. The Mk 1 Mondeo did have a 1.6 cast iron Zetec engine but this was never fitted in a Mk 1 Focus.

Avant. You deleted my earlier comment which you say was offensive but you continue to allow JohnF to post his dangerous d*****. Its Honest John and possibly yourself that will ened up in court should a Forum user get injured following his crazy advice. You warned him to stop some time ago and personally thanked me for alerting you to his potentially dangerous advice but you now appear to have given up. Perhaps I should alert Honest John himself since its him that would ahve to defend the site.

Ah, the previous post will explain why the 'Replies' and 'Latest Replies' figures keep increasing but I cannot see the actual post (because it's been removed).

The Ford Zetec also has a cast iron block and my nearly 19yr old 140,000m coolant is pink and clear.

JohnF. I thought your Focus was a 1.6. If it is you will find its has an alloy block.

Apologies- I stand corrected. Must read wikipaedia more carefully!

Avant. You deleted my earlier comment which you say was offensive

Thank you Avant

but you continue to allow JohnF to post his dangerous d*****. Its Honest John and possibly yourself that will ened up in court should a Forum user get injured following his crazy advice.

I remain puzzled why you think the use of rainwater is either dangerous or crazy.

Right folks.

I have changed the expansion tank over to the new Behr Hella replacement. Pretty simple process and feel pleased for doing it myself.

One thing I messed up was watching for the Antifreeze/Coolant coming out of the hoses. I was too focused on draining the Antifreeze/Coolant from the tank. As a result one hose dripped all over the belts and the other hose dripped all over the oil cap/spark plugs area. I dabbed up what I could but couldn't reach down the belt area. I would say about three table spoons of Antifreeze/Coolant spilled on both the belts and the oil cap/spark plugs area. In an attempt to draw out any Antifreeze/Coolant, I sprayed a good helping of WD40 in those areas. The oil cap/spark plus area is closed off so the Antifreeze/Coolant and WD40 will evaporate in the that area (especially in this heat). The belts aren't closed off so I just hope the WD40 draws out the spilt stuff and then evaporates too.
Is the Antifreeze/Coolant (and WD40) likely to corrode those areas, especially the belts?

Where the engine mount is, and where the Antifreeze/Coolant had been dripping, there is this black thing with a little rubber top (or what looks like rubber). Well it seems the hot leaking fluid has melted the rubber a bit. Not badly so its gone straight through but just disfigured it slightly on one side. Is this a problem?
(EDIT: I've just watched a clip and the rubber thing is actually the top of the hydraulic engine mount. I thought the engine mount was just that big metal thing surrounding the hydraulic engine mount -- the question still applies, has the hot Antifreeze/Coolant leaking onto the hydraulic engine mount and disfiguring it damaged it or likely to cause harm to my car??)

Having connection everything belt up I clipped the tank back in place. To clip it in you need to push fairly hard and then it goes thud. So I can definitely see a brittle tank cracking with the force of the thud. Having view the underneath of the old expansion tank I could see two areas that looked suspicious. One of which was a prime suspect. It looked like a stretch mark area.

Once all was ready, I filled the Antifreeze/Coolant up to 4mm above the maximum line. This was to align it with the middle part of the X (in Max). Still 2 inches below the top of the tank. It was filled with fresh Antifreeze/Coolant mixed with cold tap water. I mixed it two days ago so it had time to air (one tip mentioned in these posts). The drained stuff had a few little bugs in.

Having the expansion tank cap off, I then put the fan on full temperature and at full blast and let the car tick over for 22 minutes. I gave it the odd 3,000rpm rev. To be precise -
1 - 15 mins - heater and revs.
16 - 20 - just ticking over.
21-22 - just ticking over with the expansion tank cap placed back on.

All seemed fine. No dripping.
I will take it for a half hour drive this evening and park it up over night on a fresh bit of driveway to see if there is leakage on the drive over night.

In the morning I shall let it run for 15 minutes but this time placing tissue in certain places to see if it leaks. If it doesn't then I reckon all is resolved. Of course, I'll still keep my eye on it.

Thanks again all. Really helpful for me.

Edited by dac1 on 29/06/2019 at 13:26

I remain puzzled why you think the use of rainwater is either dangerous or crazy.

John F. Check your facts again, I have never commented about your crazy use of rainwater. However, I have commented on your dangerous advice to remove the water filler cap whilst the engine is hot.

I was too focused on draining the Antifreeze/Coolant from the tank. As a result one hose dripped all over the belts and the other hose dripped all over the oil cap/spark plugs area. I dabbed up what I could but couldn't reach down the belt area. I would say about three table spoons of Antifreeze/Coolant spilled on both the belts and the oil cap/spark plugs area. In an attempt to draw out any Antifreeze/Coolant, I sprayed a good helping of WD40 in those areas. The oil cap/spark plus area is closed off so the Antifreeze/Coolant and WD40 will evaporate in the that area (especially in this heat). The belts aren't closed off so I just hope the WD40 draws out the spilt stuff and then evaporates too.
Is the Antifreeze/Coolant (and WD40) likely to corrode those areas, especially the belts?

Getting antifreeze mixture onto belts should not really do any harm but putting WD40 onto belts will possibly cause an issue. It will soften the rubber for starters.

Even though the plug area appears sealed its not 100% and liquid can get down there. It should evaporate but I would check and dry it out if necessary, but don't remove the plugs.

Even though the plug area appears sealed its not 100% and liquid can get down there. It should evaporate but I would check and dry it out if necessary, but don't remove the plugs.

If spark plugs are gas tight how on earth can liquid pass the plugs?

Reading dac1 last comments I am beginning to wonder if the whole posting is a wind up!

Okay, now I'm concerned.
Firstly, what is the belt directly under the engine mount? Is it the cam-belt or auxiliary belt? As it is this belt that I sprayed.

How likely is one dose of WD40 (a good dose but just one dose) going to damage this belt? Is there anything I can do to rectify it? How about some baby powder all over the belt? Do I need to give some time before I drive the vehicle for the WD40 to wear off? Will the hot temperature help?

If it isn't the cam-belt then can the cam-belt get sprayed on by spraying the belt area underneath the engine mount or by spraying over the spark plug area? I'm hoping the cam-belt is completely covered off and that you would have to remove something to reach the cam-belt, and therefore I haven't damaged the cam-belt. Please confirm?

This is not a wind up. I'm no mechanic. The oil cap/spark plug area has covering around it - hence calling it closed off. The belt, under the engine mount, is fully exposed - hence not saying it's closed off.

Edited by dac1 on 29/06/2019 at 17:03

If spark plugs are gas tight how on earth can liquid pass the plugs?

Its the plug lead ends that are designed to seal onto the cam cover and prevent water (and other containments) getting where they shouldn't. I can assure you that they are not 100% water tight and Ford are aware of this. There is a hole in the cam cover at the coil end that acts as a drain to prevent water collecting and eventually getting past the plug lead ends.

Is there anything I should do to undo the WD40

Not really. Once its on the rubber the solvent will probably evaporate quickly and the oil will soak in. There are plenty of old wives tales but none are a cure, they just disguise the problem whilst you sell the car.

What is the belt that is directly under the engine mount?

There are 2 belts, the cam belt and the auxiliary belt. The auxiliary belt is exposed, the cam belt should be under covers.

Easy way to spot the difference. The cam belt is toothed, the auxiliary belt is ribbed.

If its the auxiliary belt it will probably make one heck of a squealing noise due to the containments. It may possibly slip as well which will lead to the charge light coming on. Probably best to have a garage change it if either of these happen.

If you have sprayed the cam belt how lucky are you feeling?

dac1 I should give up now and be happy you have fixed you expansion bottle. You will not have done any damage with your liberal use of WD40 or coolant or anything else. If you listen to any more nonsense on here you will not sleep tonight!!!

Well, I can't do anything about it now.

Just be nice to hear some reassuring comments like I haven't damaged my car in any way (but only if that is true), like sammy1 has.

Just had a good inspection of the engine area. No liquid or grease anyway. Everywhere is dry. Just taken it for a 15 minute drive (gear changes and top gear) and all sounds and feels fine. Had a look afterwards and all looks good. The expansion tank was very hot - so definitely don't take the cap off when hot - don't even touch the tank when hot.

I will give up now, but if there is anything else I should do then let me know.

Thanks all, again.

This is not a wind up. I'm no mechanic.

You don't need to be a 'mechanic' to DiY, but I suggest that you do need to be able to identify any parts you are dealing with. Getting a Haynes manual, or perhaps borrowing a library copy, might be a good idea.

And you seem to be rather liberal with the WD40, as if it were a magical cure-all. It's a light penetrating oil (actually a water dispersant, hence the WD), not a lubricant or a cleanser. It's great for releasing tight nuts or removing grease from awkward places.

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/06/2019 at 22:54

John F. Check your facts again, I have never commented about your crazy use of rainwater. However, I have commented on your dangerous advice to remove the water filler cap whilst the engine is hot.

Skidpan - please check your facts. It was you who advised the removal of the cap to see how much pressure there is, not me. Here is your post.....

I actually posted that thanks to the ability to see the coolant level from the outside there was no reason to ever remove the cap apart from topping it up, which I have done once in 15yrs as, thanks to modern design, it is virtually a sealed system.

Skidpan - please check your facts. It was you who advised the removal of the cap to see how much pressure there is, not me. Here is your post.....

I actually posted that thanks to the ability to see the coolant level from the outside there was no reason to ever remove the cap apart from topping it up, which I have done once in 15yrs as, thanks to modern design, it is virtually a sealed system.

For pities sake, what is so difficult.

I made that suggestion not as a serious one but just to test how daft you are. Only a fool would take the cap off a pressurised cooling system whilst hot and that is exactly what you did.

No more to say.

No more to say.

Thank goodness for that!

Just as a matter of interest, and possibly for the amusement of our readers, I performed the same experiment on the TR7 today. It was a warm day, and I drove briskly back from lunch in a village ten miles away. The TR7 has a bigger less efficient engine than the Focus, so it generates much more wasted heat. However, on cautiously opening the reservoir cap there was again nothing more than a transient hiss of escaping gas. However, the metal reservoir was much hotter than the plastic Focus tank, which gets merely warm. I could only hold my hand against it for about five seconds, so I guess it was about 60 - 80C. Anyway, it was nowhere near boiling and I thought the experiment far less hazardous than cooking Sunday lunch! I also syphoned off a glassful of coolant and was gratified to note that it was a clear turquoise colour - untouched since I had to renew the water pump in 2003. No sign of 'Windsor soup' (I bet that Clio didn't last much longer) - and the Triumph slant 4 engine really does have a cast iron block. If the OP's reservoir is 'very hot' as he says, I would be keeping a very close eye on it.

<< the metal reservoir was much hotter than the plastic Focus tank, which gets merely warm. I could only hold my hand against it for about five seconds, so I guess it was about 60 - 80C >>

This difference will depend on the length of the connection between the cooling circuit and the overflow tank. My 205's tank is connected by several feet of hose, so it is unlikely to ever get more than warm.