Seat Ateca vs VW Tiguan - Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan for Motability Lease - Hopalong

Hi.

You guys have given me good advice in the past so back for more. My Motability lease car is due for replacement soon. I need a comfortable automatic car that easy to get in and out of and a large boot for hoist and mobility scooter. It cannot be too big as it won't fit on the drive and must be good both in town and on the motorway.

My shortlist is Seat Ateca diesel or petrol ( petrol slightly higher deposit) or VW Tiguan Match 2L diesel, all are 150bhp. The Vauxhall Grandland X is my reserve choice. The deposits are within within a couple of hundred of each other. I'm not a high millage driver as most journeys are local however about 6 times a year I do a 600+ mile trip a year to see family.

I have driven all of them all but can't decided. I loved the way the Ateca drove, the Tiguan was luxurious but seemed barge like to drive. The Grandland X I had removed as it seemed cheap inside and underpowered but it has a low deposit.

Thanks H.

Seat Ateca vs VW Tiguan - Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan for Motability Lease - skidpan

I have driven all of them all but can't decided.

Really.

I loved the way the Ateca drove, the Tiguan was luxurious but seemed barge like to drive. The Grandland X I had removed as it seemed cheap inside and underpowered but it has a low deposit.

So you ;liked one and had issues with the other two.

Looks like you have decided for yourself.

Seat Ateca vs VW Tiguan - Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan for Motability Lease - Hopalong

Oops! Completely the wrong forum!. Also left out vital paragraph, no wonder no useful replies ??

"I loved the way the Ateca drove but there are quite few negative reviews. It seems the love afair with this car is over. A lot of owners have had problems that have not been fixed .. terrible ride/noise on poor motorway surfaces, 1.5 petrol engines stuttering from standstill and electronics holding back throttle and DSG response on 2L diesel"

Seat Ateca vs VW Tiguan - Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan for Motability Lease - badbusdriver

Why is it the wrong forum?, which forum did you think it was?.

You are asking which is best between two cars which are mechanically identical and one which is your 'backup' choice. Firstly, why do you need a backup choice?, if you prefer both the VW and Seat, why would you not be able to get either and then need to go with the Vauxhall?. All a bit confusing to me!.

Anyway, as i was saying, the Seat Ateca and VW Tiguan are essentially the same car. While the Tiguan is a little bigger, they use the same engines, same gearbox, same floorpan, etc, etc. So if you have no preference of one over the other, the obvious choice would be to go with whichever dealer is closer to you. However, going back to my confusion, according to the Motability website, there is a big difference in the deposit of the Seat (£499 for the 2.0TDI SE) and VW (£1049 for the 2.0 TDI Match). The Grandland X can be had from £499 for the 1.2 (turbo petrol 130bhp) SE, but the cheapest diesel is £999 for the 1.5 TD SE.

But as Skidpan pointed out, you seem to have made the decision yourself. The Vauxhall is the backup, i.e, not favourite, and you found the Tiguan a bit of a barge to drive. So the Ateca it is then?!

Seat Ateca vs VW Tiguan - Seat Ateca or VW Tiguan for Motability Lease - Avant

The stuttering, or kangarooing, that some 1.5 TSI-engined cars have is apparently not happening with the DSG-equipped models - so you should be all right there.

I believe that SEATs are generally more firmly sprung than other VAG cars - SEAT like to market their cars as slightly more 'sporty' - so if the Ateca is too firm, try a Skoda Karoq, which is similar in size and choice of engines.

Any of the VAG cars is likely to be better to drive than the Vauxhall Grandland. Have you also considered the Peugeot 3008 (petrol), which has been well reviewed by most, including HJ.