Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - RichardWoods

I have just had my car in to Lookers, Braintree after a Ford recall regarding clutch issues/ The recall said that in some circumstances the clutch plate could shatter causing serious potential for damage.

The fix is crude - updating the EMS with a new module that will reduce power if high revs are detected during clutch action.

Anyone agree with me that due to the three-cylinder 1-litre nature of the engine it was interpreted as having (and has) low torque and too small a clutch was fitted, given the engine is variously rated from 95 bhp to 125 bhp (not re-mapped!).

Happily I am not in the habit of racing starts so it is unlikely to impact me - BUT there have been reports of clutch slippage. Same issue methinks?

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - FP

Not sure why this is in Non-Motoring.

Perhaps it should be moved.

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - Avant

Indeed it should. Done.

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - Oli rag

I knew that there had been big problems with slave cylinders failing and leaking on to the clutch plates, but I didn't know that clutches on the ecoboosts had been exploding too.

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - dan86

This engine is turning in to a bit of a lemon with all these different faults that are appearing

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - John F

This engine is turning in to a bit of a lemon with all these different faults that are appearing

I think probably it's the things that are attached to it rather than the engine itself that have given it such a poor reputation, otherwise how could it have possibly won so many awards?...............

“The baby Ford EcoBoost engine is still the best 1.0-litre, three-cylinder design around, despite newer powertrains arriving on the scene,” said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the 19th International Engine of the Year awards that were held in Stuttgart, Germany, and editor-in-chief of Engine Technology International magazine. “Even more impressive is that it is the first-ever powertrain to secure its class title every year it has been nominated.”

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - Leif

I think probably it's the things that are attached to it rather than the engine itself that have given it such a poor reputation, otherwise how could it have possibly won so many awards?...............

“The baby Ford EcoBoost engine is still the best 1.0-litre, three-cylinder design around, despite newer powertrains arriving on the scene,” said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the 19th International Engine of the Year awards that were held in Stuttgart, Germany, and editor-in-chief of Engine Technology International magazine. “Even more impressive is that it is the first-ever powertrain to secure its class title every year it has been nominated.”

Perhaps the award takes no account of reliability? Or perhaps the engines in the Fiesta are so full of electronics that they have become self aware (cf SkyNet and the Terminator films) and after realising they are powering a Fiesta, they do the decent thing and blow up. Just a suggestion.

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - SLO76
“Perhaps the award takes no account of reliability?”

They don’t. It’s based on how the engine is as a new product compared to other new products. Durability plays no part in the decision.

The Rover K series won it despite quickly developing a reputation for cooking itself. The Mazda 1.3 rotary won despite appalling economy and a reputation for being fragile and BMW’s V8 won despite numerous issues that later developed.

The awards go to technically innovative designs but these often tend to show up problems well before more traditional and thus simple motors.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/05/2019 at 14:22

Ford C-Max ecoboost - Ford recall on 1 litre ecoboost engines - SLO76
I’ve heard clutch issues are very common on these which tells me that it’s not up to the job. Ford have been furiously cost cutting for years now to try and return their European arm to profit and the standard of their cars shows it.

Reliability is nowhere near the highs of the previous generations particularly anything using Mazda or Yamaha designed petrol motors. I wouldn’t touch a 3cyl Ecoboost equipped Ford and would advise getting shot of it before the Ford warranty is up. I hear rumblings that warranty firms are talking about charging double premium on these as failures are so common.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/05/2019 at 10:17