Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - leef

Afternoon all,

So my 2.5t Mk4 Mondeo went pop on Thursday - Top end gone at 90k miles. I thought about getting it repaired but decided, even though I loved the car it was costing me an arm and leg in Petrol to run. Was getting probably 25 MPG so decided to Ebay it for Parts...

Last night I went to nosey around The Car People in Manchester, pretty pleasant experience to be fair! Anyway 2 hours later, I've bought a Peugeot 3008. 40k on the clock. Had a little test drive and once I'd got used to the Auto gear box and paddles etc I was fine, very different to what I've had in the past, but time to be sensible. Pick it up on Friday, needs a couple chips fixing up and a new valet.

Anybody on here got the 3008, in particular the EGC auto? Thoughts, have a bought a decent car.. (Id normally stay away from French!) any opinions or experiences would as always be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Wee Willie Winkie

Lee,

Prepare yourself..... many on here will paint pictures of the streets littered with failed PSA 1.6HDi engined cars. If the engine isn't to blame, it'll be the EGC gearbox.

I had a Picasso with the same engine and automated manual gearbox. I hated it, but we're all different I guess. It was perfectly reliable for me (apart from the horrible electric parking).

Perhaps it might have been an idea to ask questions before you committed though ;-)

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - badbusdriver

The EGC is an automated manual, not sure if single or dual clutch, but in either case, you wouldn't find anyone on the forum recommend one as a 2nd hand purchase, sorry!.

If it is a single clutch, i think they are more reliable simply through being a simpler design. However this type does suffer more from jerky starts, jerky gearchanges, and depays in between you pressing down on the throttle and anything happening. Some of these can be driven around through experience, such as jerky gearchanges (lift off the throttle slightly as the box changes up), and learning to anticipate how much of a delay there is in throttle response.

If it is a dual clutch, well they also can suffer from similar issues, though the jerky gearchanges SHOULDN'T be noticeable. But the main problem here is that they are just too complex for their own good, and don't have a great reputation for long term reliability.

The PSA group have actually stopped using this type of gearbox for most, if not all of it's cars.

You probably didn't want to hear that, but hey ho!.

Edit,

Yes, reading Dieselboy's post reminded me about the 'other' elephant in the room, that of the infamous 'diesel of doom'!. This also has a poor reputation, though investigation (relating to a possible van purchase with this engine), suggests that much of the problems stem from too long interals between oil changes (which the manufacturer recommended!), and not using the correct grade of oil, which i have been told is critical to the health of the engine.

Edited by badbusdriver on 21/05/2019 at 17:19

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Alby Back

I've a friend who does a huge commute, Bristol to London and back every day, he's on his second Peugeot 508 estate. Both cars fitted with the 1.6 diesel and automated manual gearbox. The first one went to 200,000 without problems and he's over 100,000 now in the second one with no reliability issues and the added bonus of fabulous fuel economy. When I first started posting on here, I was running a Mondeo TDCi manual estate. I was assured it would lunch it's clutch and DMF at regular intervals. But it didn't and nor did anything else go wrong with it in the 200,000 miles I ran it to. Funnily enough the same model I'd had before it had no problems either despite being run to a similarly high mileage. You have to take Internet forums with a pinch of salt. While they can give you good information and help, they do tend to stress the negatives a bit more than the positives. Of course you can keep on trying to mitigate risk, and there's nothing wrong with that or the giving of cautionary advice, but sometimes you just have to make your own mind up about what works for you. Hope you enjoy your new car ! Peugeot are making some really nice looking stuff recently.

Edited by Avant on 21/05/2019 at 22:22

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - SLO76
Never ask opinions after you’ve bought a car, do so beforehand. People will either gush about how great it is (to be nice) or they’ll tell you of all the potential woe you might encounter which will only worry you. You’ve made your choice and I’m sure it’ll be a comfortable car. Hopefully it’ll serve you well. They certainly do good service with the Police but make sure you don’t scrimp on maintenance and use either a Peugeot main dealer or someone who has plenty of experience with this engine and gearbox and all their weaknesses.
Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Bromptonaut

I understand there are two versions of the 1.6HDi 'diesel of doom', 16 valve and 8 valve. It's mainly the former that has a propensity to 'lunch' engines when turbo gives up ghost due to clogged oil pick up strainers.

We've got a 1.6 HDi 8 valve Berlingo which has been completely free of engine/transmission issues so far at five and a half years and coming up to 90k miles. In fact only problems have been a broken joystick for remote controlled mirrors and a sticky rear brake calliper leading to need for new pads/discs at 85k.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - badbusdriver

I've a friend who does a huge commute, Bristol to London and back every day, he's on his second Peugeot 508 estate. Both cars fitted with the 1.6 diesel and automated manual gearbox. The first one went to 200,000 without problems and he's over 100,000 now in the second one with no reliability issues and the added bonus of fabulous fuel economy.

Even to my non mechanically minded mind, this kind of useage is clearly going to be much kinder to an automated manual and put much less stress on it than urban driving. This, combined with the likelyhood of a proper servicing regime using the correct oil, means it is hardly a surprise that your friends car has had no issues.

But your friend didn't own the car in question, we don't know how well it has been serviced, or how it has been driven (leaving it in drive while in stationary traffic for example?). So while it is too late for the OP now, caution should always be put first (unless you are in the enviable position of being able to afford the potentially big bills).

For the record, I really hope this car doesn't turn out to be a lemon for the OP. But he has came on here asking if he has done the right thing. I don't see any benefit in trying to sweep any potential problems under the carpet.

Edited by Avant on 21/05/2019 at 22:22

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - gordonbennet

Just reminded me, shortly after PSA released the automated manual, sensodrive it was called at first, i used to deliver the things and asked what was the point of the gearbox at all at one of the dealerships, the response was 'it's a good gearbox on the motorway', odd answer but actually true because it's not doing any gearchanging..:-)

For the OP, seriously though, just make sure you keep up some decent maintenance, regular engine oil changes and remember a bit of mechanical sympathy helps any vehicle, so let it warm a bit before giving it the beans and let the engine tick over for a while before shutdown so oil doesn't carbonise in the seriously hot turbocharger oilways...but this applies to any turbocharged engine no matter how clever the water cooling feature is supposed to be.

Get the gearbox oil changed when needed too, there is no reason why this car shouldn't last you many trouble free years.

neglect is the fastest way to kill vehicles, that's as true today as at any time in our motoring history.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - John F

neglect is the fastest way to kill vehicles, that's as true today as at any time in our motoring history.

But don't confuse neglect with masterly inactivity. If it works, don't mend it. (Average - not combined - age of our three excellent cars = 23yrs, none of which gets a garage 'service' apart from the annual MoT check.)

And to the OP - I think this is a particularly undesirable powertrain which I hope was reflected in the price you paid. You will be fortunate if it gets to the average scrappage age - 14yrs old, let alone over 20, before it becomes 'uneconomical' to repair.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - RichardW

The e-hdi is a development of the later 8V DV6C unit, which is much better - there were some troubles with injectors, but otherwise it seems pretty vice free. The EGC box is an acquired taste, and can go wrong with ££££ involved - when it needs a new clutch, make sure it is entrusted to someone who knows what they are doing, and has the proper diagnostic tool to re-configure the change unit.

I've got a 2013 3008 1.6 HDi DV6C and it's not hiccuped over the last year / 15k miles.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - leef

Thanks all for your honest opinions on this. Mixed reviews, I suppose as with a lot of cars but its good to know what to watch out for. I've always got my cars serviced correctly from dealers so no problem with maintenance. Was looking at a company for Click4Warranty that seem to have very good reviews, I'll take there 5 star warranty out over 3 years for less than £500 and the gearbox and engines are pretty much covered if I've had the car serviced at the regular intervals. I'll report back in a month or so to give my initial thoughts the car.

Thanks you all again... very informative.

thanks

Lee

Thanks all for your honest opinions on this. Mixed reviews, I suppose as with a lot of cars but its good to know what to watch out for. I've always got my cars serviced correctly from dealers so no problem with maintenance. Was looking at a company for Click4Warranty that seem to have very good reviews, I'll take there 5 star warranty out over 3 years for less than £500 and the gearbox and engines are pretty much covered if I've had the car serviced at the regular intervals. I'll report back in a month or so to give my initial thoughts the car.

Thanks you all again... very informative.

thanks

Lee

Don't know much about aftermarket warranties, but that doesn't seem to bad given the potential repair costs should the gearbox or engine need repairing.

As for the car, drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy. Lift the throttle slightly on changes, don't go trying to race away from the traffic lights, and don't leave it in drive while stationary. If the car has been well driven and looked after up till now, taking these precautions should keep it running fine for (hopefully) a long time yet.

Avant, why the edit?, surely nothing I said was offensive? (and the pointless and unhelpful comment I referred, deserved responding to)

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm a fan of Pugs (albeit older ones). Peugeotforums.com has a VERY active 3008 section on there, that's all I'm saying!

A lot of issues are the general new car gripes, but a lot seem to relate with poor customer service and after sales care, this is one example:

Stop-start system not working. Dealer says that the owner "isn't driving the car long enough distances".

When it failed again they said the driver "must’ve had the radio or air conditioning on."

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 22/05/2019 at 13:21

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - skidpan

We had a 1.6 TDCi 110 PS in a Focus for 5 totally reliable years. The chap who bought it off us kept it for another 8 years. He had bought another car and eventually scrapped the Focus (no one wanted it) despite never having any issues.

The car was always serviced regularly serviced using the correct oils etc.

As another poster said, not everyone wants to drive a petrol Civic. We had a 1.8 as a pool car at work and it was the most gutless thing on the planet, all who used it hated it. A 1.8 Avensis petrol was little better. In comparison the 1.6 TDCI was a rocket ship.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - RJ414i

Good Evening and thanks for having me on board.

I own a 55 reg focus 1.6 tdci, 110bhp [euro 3] which is coming up to 98k, and i have had it for 10 years this October.

Always had a oil service at 8k miles and has done lots of local trips and longer ones [100 mile] every couple of weeks and it's been totally reliable. The non DPF no doubt helps.

I must admit that sometimes a think strongly about an upgrade to something newer but my head keeps telling me 'better the devil you know' and keep the £10k + in the Building society!!

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Avant

Welcome to the forum. Let's hope your Focus keeps going for a long time: you're helping that to happen by regular oil changes.

It's worth much more to you than it would be in the market - so I think most of us on here would agree that your best bet is to hang on to it while it's going well.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - gordonbennet

Oh yes, that Focus should last a long time with such sensible servicing.

What's the score re the cambelt change interval, and yes we know JohnF thinks they should be left in place to mature, like a fine wine :-), but the rest of us think differently.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - skidpan

What's the score re the cambelt change interval, and yes we know JohnF thinks they should be left in place to mature, like a fine wine :-), but the rest of us think differently.

10 years or 100,000 miles. best to do the water pump etc at the same time.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Andrew-T

10 years or 100,000 miles. best to do the water pump etc at the same time.

I think any reputable outfit will almost do that without asking, but ask anyway.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - RJ414i

I thought it was 10 years or 125,000 miles?

I thought it was 10 years or 125,000 miles?

It might be now but back when we bought the Focus (and Puma) it was 10 years/100,000 miles.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - barney100

French cars get some flack on here but you see many old ones around. Remember in Kenya years ago the Peugeot taxis absolutely hammered over rough roads and maintained in back street places so they were tough old beasts.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Andrew-T

French cars get some flack on here but you see many old ones around. Remember in Kenya years ago the Peugeot taxis absolutely hammered over rough roads and maintained in back street places so they were tough old beasts.

You are right about the old solid cars like the 404 in Africa, but I don't think there are many really old Pugs still running in the UK. As an habitual Pug owner for 30 years I keep a bit of an eye on 205s and 306s in particular. 205s (last made about 1996) and 306s (about 2001) are now a pretty rare sight.

My 205 Garros was one of about 1200 cars which hit the road in 1989/90. I think there may be between 10 and 20 still taxed, and maybe rather more than that off the road. The rest wore out, went for scrappage, or simply became unwanted (fashion). There are now more Moggies running than 205s of any kind.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - SLO76

They used to be great things. Although the interiors were generally quite fragile they were mechanically very tough and anything from the mid 80’s onwards resisted rot very well indeed. The diesels had a great reputation and it’s only in recent years thanks to emissions controls, cost cutting and a couple of flawed motors (the 1.6 DV6 and 1.4/1.6 VTi) they’ve become rather tarnished, probably a bit unfairly. Hopefully they’re returning to form now.

Soooo... ive had the Pug 3008 for almost a month now and thought Id give my thoughts....

I love the driving position and split cockpit i also love the split boot and tailgate "bench". For the size of the car the rear leg room could of been bigger but its not massively cramped.

As mentioned by others on the site, the "Auto" gearbox takes a little getting used to over convential auto's, but after a few days I'd got down to an art, lifting off the gas just before gear change. The 1.6hdi-e engine is pretty decent! i thought its be terrible becuase its a fairly big car and I was coming down from 2.5 petrol turbo 218bhp car. It gets to 70 no issues, is pretty smooth and pulls fairly well in 2nd and 3rd to get up to speed. Im getting 45MPG from it, the ride is smooth, Ive had it up to Scotland on a long run and I really like the car! I'll keep her serviced by Peugeot and hopefully have a few years happy driving her. Thanks again for the input everyone. I'll update further when Ive done a few thousand miles or if things go wrong! :)

Lee

Soooo... ive had the Pug 3008 for almost a month now and thought Id give my thoughts....

I love the driving position and split cockpit i also love the split boot and tailgate "bench". For the size of the car the rear leg room could of been bigger but its not massively cramped.

As mentioned by others on the site, the "Auto" gearbox takes a little getting used to over convential auto's, but after a few days I'd got down to an art, lifting off the gas just before gear change. The 1.6hdi-e engine is pretty decent! i thought its be terrible becuase its a fairly big car and I was coming down from 2.5 petrol turbo 218bhp car. It gets to 70 no issues, is pretty smooth and pulls fairly well in 2nd and 3rd to get up to speed. Im getting 45MPG from it, the ride is smooth, Ive had it up to Scotland on a long run and I really like the car! I'll keep her serviced by Peugeot and hopefully have a few years happy driving her. Thanks again for the input everyone. I'll update further when Ive done a few thousand miles or if things go wrong! :)

Lee

Glad to hear you are liking it Lee and fingers crossed it gives you no problems.

Re the gearbox, i have held the suspicion that single clutch automated manuals like yours are not actually that bad, you just need to learn how to get the best from it, anticipating response times, and, like you say, lifting off slightly on the changes.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Catfood

What is exactly wrong with these automated gearbox ? Is it hardware design issue ? Software issue ? Maintenance issue ?

In case of the automated gearbox for Peugeot 3008, I think it is Aisin AW TF-8# SC series made by Aisin.

This automated gearbox is used by so many different marques, different models, including the likes of BMW, Mazda, Land Rover, Volvo and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

I don’t hear many complain from, for example, Volvo driver…..But when the gearbox is fitted to PSA or GM, it becomes problematic….

What is exactly wrong with these automated gearbox ? Is it hardware design issue ? Software issue ? Maintenance issue ?

In case of the automated gearbox for Peugeot 3008, I think it is Aisin AW TF-8# SC series made by Aisin.

This automated gearbox is used by so many different marques, different models, including the likes of BMW, Mazda, Land Rover, Volvo and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

I don’t hear many complain from, for example, Volvo driver…..But when the gearbox is fitted to PSA or GM, it becomes problematic….

Both single and dual clutch automated manuals can suffer from jerky gearchanges and delayed response to throttle input. Pulling out on to a busy road for example, you see a small gap, press the throttle, but nothing happens, then it does, by which time the gap is almost closed!. There can also be problems manoeuvring at low speeds. especially uphill.

It seems that single clutch versions are more reliable, if for no other reason there is less to go wrong, and while the jerky gearchanges can be more exaggerated than with a dual clutch, it can be driven round by lifting off slightly on the change. The delayed throttle response can be anticipated though experience too. Unfortunately, a lot of drivers are not interested in learning how best to drive the car, and will find these characteristics an unacceptable flaw. Reading owners reviews of cars fitted with a single clutch auto, there does seem to be a noticeable split, with some drivers hating them, but others loving them.

The main problem with the dual clutch versions seems to be overcomplexity. Fine when working as intended, though as mentioned earlier, there can still be driveability issues. They are also generally faster (through effectively elimiminating the 'pause' in acceleration when you change gear, as the alternate clutch has the next gear ready to go) and more efficient than a manual. But they do seem to have a habit of causing problems, with Ford's powershift being a particularly bad example, to the extent that Ford (along with the PSA group) have reverted back to using t/c auto's.

Obviously there are exceptions and plenty of DCT equiped cars which have given their owners no problems at all, including forum members. But the potential for ruinously expensive problems, particularly on a used car outwith its warranty, means that i wouldn't chance buying a car with a DCT gearbox. I might be inclined to try something with a single clutch automated manual, but my concern is that my wife is very much the kind of person who would find it a struggle to adapt her driving round the 'characteristics' mentioned above.

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Catfood

Thanks but your comment is about the drivability and the general characteristics of the auto gearbox.

What I interested to find out was, why it works out fine for some and not for others.

For example, I quite like new Toyota Rav4, which comes with Hybrid CVT auto gearbox.

(Again this is made by Aisin, AW F8F35) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

There are many negative comments about the characteristics of this auto gearbox.

But, when this gear box is fitted in BMW. People just tend to praise…..

Is this just snobbism ? or software mapping ? or matching to the engine ?

Edited by Catfood on 20/06/2019 at 13:10

Peugeot 3008 1.6 e-HDi 115 EGC auto - Bought a new car - Have i done the right thing :) - Gibbo_Wirral

How's the stop-start system working? Seen a few people with problems with theirs.

Thanks but your comment is about the drivability and the general characteristics of the auto gearbox.

What I interested to find out was, why it works out fine for some and not for others.

For example, I quite like new Toyota Rav4, which comes with Hybrid CVT auto gearbox.

(Again this is made by Aisin, AW F8F35) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWF8F35

There are many negative comments about the characteristics of this auto gearbox.

But, when this gear box is fitted in BMW. People just tend to praise…..

Is this just snobbism ? or software mapping ? or matching to the engine ?

Firstly, i think the info on the Wiki page is not correct. Why?, because i know for a fact that the Citroen's and Peugeot's mentioned use a torque converter auto, whereas the BMW's, including the Mini's, have a DCT type auto. Maybe it is the case that the same basic gearbox can be used in different ways?, i'm not knowledgeable enough to say!.

Also, you are getting your wires crossed about the RAV4 hybrid, as according to your Wiki link, the hybrid does not use this gearbox anyway, only the non-hybrid. But the motoring press, in general, are very derogatory about CVT transmissions, so i wouldn't read too much into that without trying it for yourself. We have a Honda Jazz which is a CVT, and i think it is great!.

Thanks for clarifying the confusion may have caused !