Citroen C3 Picasso - P0087 c3 picasso advice please - Ian Boylett

Looking for advice please 2013 1.6 HDi 92 (DV6DTED)

Just before MOT & Service had a P0087 error pop up eml and kill boost. Restart of the can resolves issue for a week or so. I travel approx. 600 miles a week, car has been faultless with 60+ mpg.

Advised likely to be fuel filter but after service error returned. MOT / service center recommended a garage who booked me in for diagnostics. They advised it was a fault with the fuel pressure regulator attached to the HP pump. Said 2 hours labour required to get part off and inspect. Called again to say part looked contaminated and new recommended. I agreed but following day they called to say new part fitted but car will not start, Fitted old regulator and still not starting to they told me the fault was a failing hp pump. Had exchange pump fitted as had little choice at this point to get car back. They did offer to fit timing belt for cost at same time as car was stripped down so far.

£1400 lighter - 2 days later same fault happens. Take it back a bit hacked off and they keep it for the day but end up saying cannot replicate fault , can bring it back if it happens again but it will be down to guess work what to try next.

Aside the feeling of being mugged, any ideas what this fault may be now the filter, pressure regulator & hp pump can be ruled out.? No lift pump on this car either

Citroen C3 Picasso - P0087 c3 picasso advice please - Gibbo_Wirral

Does it have a priming bulb?

If so, does it fail to remain hard?

If so then its tiny air leaks in the plastic fuel pipe connectors. PTFE tape on all connections sorted it on my Pug 307 2L diesel.

I hate garages (and breakdown companies) that instantly blame the HP pump when there's a fuel pressure issue. I've seen it a few times, but mainly on older cars, so the fix won't help you here.

Did the garage use the Lexia diagnostics equipment to read the car, and read live data? If not then I'd get a second opinion from a fellow car owner (not a garage) with that.

Hopefully something here will help:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2007-2014-178/1-6-hdi-p0087-fuel-rail-system-pressure-too-low-124202/

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 10/05/2019 at 13:35

Citroen C3 Picasso - P0087 c3 picasso advice please - Ian Boylett

Thanks for the reply, no bulb but the filter housing has a small plunger to prime. No tank pipe so it's pulled from hp pump.

Got hold of a lexia, ran test for fuel pressure rise and fall which failed with injector return flow too great or leak into chamber.

Cylinder combustion test was ok. Live data when running have all injectors mg pulse as same, flow correction is .00x on all 4.

If I change up too fast when accelerating I can force the fault. I suspect now that the pump is trying to maintain rail pressure as the boost adds vacuum to the manifold and at peak demand an injector leaks. Checked oil and it's just over max mark so thinking a seal rather than faulty injector or the live running would look different.

Only had service in Feb so can't decide if oil is thinner than normal due too fuel mixed in or overfilled by garage