Ford Focus Saloon - Limp Mode at 3k Revs - Focus 1.6 TDCI - Hector Brocklebank

Hi All,

I have an '07 1.6 TDCI Focus that I've had since 2010 and now has 172k on the clock. It's been well looked after and serviced and maintained regularly, still on its original clutch, DMF, DPF, injectors and Turbo.

It's started the annoying habit of going into limp mode as it approaches 3k revs, making overtaking manoeuvres somewhat scary... If I let the revs dip back to around 2k it seems to sort itself out without having to turn the engine off.

I have an intermittent warning light that the code reader picks up as 'DPF not operating at full efficiency' or something similar, but this comes and goes independently of how often it goes into limp mode. I fully expect the DPF to be near the end of its life but there's no signs of diesel being dumped into the sump which has happened in the past when it failed to regen. That was solved by a garage running a clean on it a while back.

Are there any other potential causes for this apart from the DPF? This is the only code it's showing but I've read it could be fuel filter (not likely as replaced last year), injectors, wastegates, hoses etc? Not really sure it there's any stop gap fixes for DPF as new one seems to be near £1k

Cheers

Ford Focus Saloon - Limp Mode at 3k Revs - Focus 1.6 TDCI - Gibbo_Wirral

Sounds like DPF to me. Its just one of those parts that you have to bite the bullet and do occasionally, just like a cat or clutch.

Try CATS2U, they're a bit cheaper.

Ford Focus Saloon - Limp Mode at 3k Revs - Focus 1.6 TDCI - S40 Man

If you have a laptop consider investing in forscan code reader. Available on popular auction site. This has the option to make the car do a forced dpf regen.

Basically the car revs itself up so everything gets hot and burns off the soot. It worked well in my 08 mondy. Should cost about £16.