BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Sarah in Scotland

Hi all,

Had a rough few weeks. Lovely Audi A3 (20K miles on clock) stolen from drive along with tv laptop valuables etc. (They have IDd the thieves and were arresting last night I believe)

Looking for a bigger car now to replace. 2 teenage kids 1 cello 1 sheepdog.

Looking to spend max 16K,

The cars I am interested in:

Audi Avant A4- a few available but a little dated in a way? Drove one and quite liked it. A few to choose from around 2015 models. Solid dependable etc

Audi Q3-love this but can't seem to find many decent newish models for this price apart from atArnold Clark who I am not using! Paying a premium for an A3 as SUV

BMW 3 series touring.320d sport - OK - I LOVE this car. I really do. I have found a 66 plate with 10k on it for £16k. about 6 months warranty left. Worried about the costs of servicing and ongoing costs-massively puts me off . Not much spare cash at the moment with 2 teenagers

New Golf estate- new facelift model. Sat in one and loved the dash. However would find them a ittle dull externally and not as exciting to drive at the lower end (which is my price range)

So basically-I am keen to buy the BMW from a reputable online source but need someone knowledgeable to advise whether this would be an unwise decision in terms of costs. If so, I will go for something else! Any other thoughts appreciated too.

Thanks

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Brit_in_Germany

How about a Skoda Karoq? Should be enough room for either the dog or the cello in that but maybe not both at the same time.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Sarah in Scotland

Thanks- hadn't considered this. Watched a youtube review and it looks good. Just out of my price range I think though-cant seem to find one below 17k :(

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - RT

Skoda Octavia Estate?

Will have a look. Honestly, I am not a huge Skoda fan but this is through ignorance actually..

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Engineer Andy

Sounds like you like German car brands. Unfortunately, so do car theives, even more so than other VAG brands that share 90%+ of their components with VWs and Audis. You may find that going for a non-German make may reduce the risk of it being broken into/stolen.

In any event, I'd make sure whatever you do get has a decent security syste, - which doesn't mean having keyless entry either. If you do go that route, invest in a good quality 'Faraday bag' or two and keep all your keys in them, including when at home and whilst loading/unloading the car.

You'll save yourself a fortune in insurance in the long term, plus by being security-conscious when loading/unloading the car and where you park it.

Best of luck.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Bromptonaut

Will have a look. Honestly, I am not a huge Skoda fan but this is through ignorance actually..

As somebody else has said most Audis share platform and mechanicals with similar sized VW, Skoda and Seat models. Cockpit and controls in my Skoda Roomster are very similar indeed to VW and Seat models. I doubt the stalks, vents, lighting controls and odometer/trip computer are built specifically or differently for Audi.

If your budget is tight probably best to avoid BMW as I suspect they're always going to be more costly to run and insure.

At end of day it's just a set of wheels to get you, teenagers, dog and cello from A-B.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/04/2019 at 14:57

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - sammy1

If the police have the thieves where is the A3? If budget is tight go for a Skoda Octavia petrol all the same mechanicals as your Audi and roomy

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Eyan1
I have 320d touring , I think they are great cars if you enjoy driving. I get an easy 50mpg out of mine.
Service costs are ok if you avoid the main dealerships, many of the cars have a service pack type in the reg and check on bmw service site. I know many people that have bought BMWs and found out that they have a service package that the dealer wasn’t aware of.

It will have the b47 engine which is better than the n47. This car may be subject to the EGR recalls again worth checking.

Insurance cost for me is 450 per year for myself and my wife I have 10 years no claims she has 4. Strangely some of the bigger engines apparently get lower insurance premiums.

I would recommend getting an auto, it’s one of the best about and suits the diesel. Make sure it has LED head lights , BMW halogens are poor. If it’s an msport they are well equipped.

Bmw service intervals are very long so I go to national for an 50 pound oil change between.
BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Avant

Sarah - I think you'll struggle to get 2 teenagers + cello + sheepdog into any of the cars you've listed. The boot of the Q3 for example is no bigger than that of your A3 (I too would ask - has it been recovered?).

Not sure which engine you were thinking of but Skodas share many of the engines you'd find in VWs and Audis. In your position I'd be looking at either a Yeti (made up to 2017) or an Octavia vRS estate. Most Yetis are diesels but the 1.2 petrol is quite adequate. The best Octavia vRS to go for is the petrol: it has the Golf GTI engine in it and goes like a bomb.

The Octavia - even the estate - is no longer than the cars on your shortlist - just better packaged.

Alternatively look at a Mazda 6 estate - petrol only as there have been engine problems with the diesels.

You pay a premium for prestige German makes. Go for a diesel only if you do a high annual mileage.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - badbusdriver

Regarding the Octavia estate, while i like the car well enough, at least one forum member has said a few times that they were completely put off the Octavia due to a booming resonance throught the cabin. So if you do decide to have a look, take it on a good long test drive at a variety of sppeds to check this out.

As for the BMW, you should have a look through this before decididng one of those would be a good place to put your money, www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/3-series-f30-201.../

Not the most reliable cars, particularly 4 cyl petrol and diesel models.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - badbusdriver

You want something exciting to drive, how about this 247bhp Focus ST estate?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181129284...1

Assuming Ford isn't too downmarket for you!.

I'd also be suggesting a Golf R estate, but it seems you can't get them with a manual gearbox, only the dreaded DSG (also, unlikely to be found under £20k)

Or, perhaps this?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190413693...1

Even more power than the Focus, arguably better looking?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/04/2019 at 22:35

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Eyan1
I have had a fault free experience with my last 3 , 3 series. But the n47 engine and n20 are probably best avoided. The main issue with the n47 is the dreaded timing chain snapping, but I believe this is fixed in the b47 (which you would be looking at). I suspect the cost of those £££ repairs give those two engines a bad reputation. Any “premium” badge will cost more to fix.

The cars mentioned above are fantastic drivers cars but have their reliability issues too. Not heard of any with the SEAT though but have with the golf r and the focus st.

I really like the Mazda 6 suggestion and the insignia sport tourers with the more sporty trims. They are not as exciting as the SEAT or focus but would probably be more sensible alternatives.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for replying-just checked the forum and was pleased to read your considered responses.

Firstly, the police were arresting the 2 teenagers this week. They were also arresting them for another burglary round the corner. I asked about my Audi. The policeman said that he couldnt say too much about it but that they may possibly see it when they arrest them. I asked about getting it back. "You wouldn't want it back... " he replied " the way these people treat cars you really don't want to see it again" or words to that effect.

I will wait and see what the outcome is-no doubt I will hear in time. The insurance have already paid out for the theft actually.

IN terms of cars, quite interested in alternatives and will be looking at local garages today with my dad! Probably going to give the lovely BMW a miss-the recalls are worrying.

I have seen a 2017 Audi avant for around 16k so will either go for that or a skoda octavia, A broker has offered to get me a modern seat leon estate(2018) for around 14k as well. 150 bhp.

Will let you know the outcome. thanks again

All good cars . Good luck with the situation. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Hi all

Finally replaced my car yesterday after a lot of hassle. Was planning to get a cheaper and practical 2015 2 litre golf estate 2015 for avoutv11k but had so many problems with VW garages that I eventually went with my heart and bought...

Audi A4 avant 2017 1.4 tfsi from Arnold Clark. Slight gamble as I didn't want to buy from them but I still have the rest of Audi warranty and a reasonable price of 14500. Has done 30k.

Loving it so far although with the black and chrome apparently I look like one of Angela, Merkels security guards.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - sammy1

A sound choice, best of luck with it.

BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - Senexdriver
I traded my 2014 A3 Sportback for an A4 Avant in 2016. Estate cars are my particular choice and I have not regretted buying the A4. From a security point of view I think you’ll be better off as I don’t see the A4 as being particularly desirable to the average thief (if there is such a thing). As remarked above, it’s pretty solid and unexciting but I absolutely love mine and I have had no mechanical problems in 20,000 miles.

I do a fair bit of load lugging (“Dad, will you be OK to help me move flat at the weekend?”) and the additional space over the A3 is very useful. What I like most about mine is the way it drives; I have the 190 bhp tfsi and it is a bit of a wolf in sheep’s clothing. On one hand I can achieve 44 mpg on long motorway runs and on the other, when circumstances permit, I can have a lot of fun with those 190 horses.

I don’t know if yours is s-tronic and the conventional wisdom on here is that you would do best to avoid it, but I took a chance with it (backed, of course, by the manufacturer’s 3 year warranty) and it is a delight to drive. With my car coming up for 3 years old I have to decide whether to trade in and get something else with a new warranty or to soldier on with the Avant and get an extended warranty. With a rather uninspiring choice of replacement estates (except perhaps the new Volvo V60), I am coming round to the idea of keeping it and enjoying a few more miles in it. I hope yours will give you as much pleasure as I get from mine.
Nice car , enjoy!
BMW 3 Series Touring or Audi Q3 - Audi A3 stolen from my drive. Replacement? - TQ

Nice to read about a good outcome

Edited by TQ on 28/04/2019 at 22:55