Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - RichRBX

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and it is about a 2008 model Range Rover Sport.

One of the main reasons I'm posting is that it has 108,000 miles on the clock and this concerns me a little.

Is there much to be worried about when looking to buy a higher mileage Range?

It does seem in good knick and has a full service history.

Here is the link if you wanted to have a look - https://drivefoundry.com/listings/land-rover-range-rover-sport-4-2-v8-supercharged-hse-5dr/

It would be great to hear any advice you may have?

Thanks

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - RichardW

If you're stretching yourself to buy it, then don't.

If the thought of it landing you with bills well into 4 figures doesn't alarm you too much, you really want an Overfinch styled one that will do low teens MPG, it looks OK in the flesh, and hasn't had 19 owners, then go for it.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - iFocus
£15000 for an 11 year old Range Rover?! Good luck with the reliability on that!
Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - RichRBX

Yea that's what has me a little concerned.

Didn't know if you guys had experience running anything similar age/mileage?

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - craig-pd130

Buying any hotted-up premium car that's over 10 years old is a gamble. Don't forget, that car would have been £60K new, with servicing costs to match.

Here's HonestJohn's own guide to the model: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/range-rover-sport-2005/good/

My 10p's worth is, it's likely to be a bottomless money pit. They were notoriously unreliable when new, and after 11 years and over 100K miles it will not have got any better.

Unless it's had a replacement supercharger, the blower WILL be knackered: the seals will be failing so you'll have low boost pressure, poor performance AND possible oil consumption problems. And that's before you get to problems with the extremely complex air suspension, electrics and more.

The car is expensive for what it is, and could easily need another £10K of work putting into it. Be very, very wary.

Thankyou for those tips!

I may give that one a miss and keep looking. I've got a budget which is a bit higher than that so may try and find a lower mileage version.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - SLO76
“Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice?”

Yes... don’t!

Appalling reliability and huge repair costs combine to make probably the worst used car anyone without a bottomless bank account could buy. Forget it until your means match your ambition. Get a good Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 instead.
Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - madf

New timing chain at 100k miles. Has it been done?

If not budget £4-£5,000.

If it goes bang, new engine £10+++

You need to have a big wallet to maintain fully...And the air suspension is costly and unreliable..

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - gordonbennet

I used to carry lots of these, though generally standard cars on normal wheels etc, the most striking thing about them was the average fuel readouts, usually 13mpg or less on the screen, i bet that example can easily give single figure fuel if you give it some welly.

I'd also be worried in case it hasn't yet had a new gearbox, if you look around many of these for sale with over 100k are on their second gearboxes, probably more likely if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed now and again during the life of the car.

Lovely to drive when running right, that V8 is addictive.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - badbusdriver

I used to carry lots of these, though generally standard cars on normal wheels etc, the most striking thing about them was the average fuel readouts, usually 13mpg or less on the screen, i bet that example can easily give single figure fuel if you give it some welly.

I'd also be worried in case it hasn't yet had a new gearbox, if you look around many of these for sale with over 100k are on their second gearboxes, probably more likely if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed now and again during the life of the car.

Lovely to drive when running right, that V8 is addictive.

I think i'd sooner have a Landcruiser with the 4.7 V8 petrol. Not as fast, or as plush, but you know everythings going to 'just work', and that it's going to keep on going till the end of the world.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190327632...1

With the RR Sport, you'd constantly be worrying about what is going to break next!.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - lordwoody

"They were notoriously unreliable when new,"

I bet most of the people commenting here have never owned a RR and are just reporting hearsay. I used to own one, had it for about 3 years, nothing went wrong and my wife and I still remember it with affection and say it was the best car we ever owned.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - RT

Reliability, good or bad, of a single car says very little about the brand in general.

Larger scale surveys still seem to suggest that JLR, specifically LR/RR, haven't improved their reliability.

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - madf

"They were notoriously unreliable when new,"

I bet most of the people commenting here have never owned a RR and are just reporting hearsay. I used to own one, had it for about 3 years, nothing went wrong and my wife and I still remember it with affection and say it was the best car we ever owned.

I have a neighbour whose construction business bought RRs for all their directors They were so unreliable that the MD threatened to return them all and sue the dealer unless they replaced a number of them with new cars.. which they duly did...

And I recall walking into ECP about 6 years ago and on the counter they had 4 air suspension units for RRs: the salesperson said they were a big seller. - always a sign of trouble..

And as anyone familiar with statistics knows, one good or bad example of anything means nothing when it's all about numbers and %s.. (I am sure you would find a happy and contented owner of a mid 2000s Renault Megane diesel...if you searched hard enough)

Edited by madf on 10/04/2019 at 12:30

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - SLO76
Warranty firms demand double premium for them from dealers which tells you all you need to know about their reliability. Don’t touch unless you’ve very deep pockets and can afford new or nearly new approved used.

I had plenty of experience with them as a Mitsubishi salesman. We only took them in part-ex, never directly bought them in and always undervalued them due to expected prep and warranty cost.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/04/2019 at 13:51

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - kiss (keep it simple)

There is an American Youtuber called Doug DeMuro who purchased a used RR with "Bumper to bumper" warranty. He lists all the claims he made during the time he had it. It's quite entertaining.

There is an American Youtuber called Doug DeMuro who purchased a used RR with "Bumper to bumper" warranty. He lists all the claims he made during the time he had it. It's quite entertaining.

His warranty sound worthwhile when I read it last month!

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - oldroverboy.

I worked in a Range Rover?jaguar dealership as a parts manager, and there is no current JLR product that i would buy out of warranty. And nothing range rover in warranty,

Read the owners forums.

Over priced, over complicated, poor quality,

Do you have a link to this video. Would be great to watch.

Do you have a link to this video. Would be great to watch.

Strangely enough : Search You Tube "doug demuro range rover" and it shows you lots : like

tinyurl.com/md8kyrk

"My Range Rover recently broke down again -- this time rather seriously. That means it's time for another CarMax warranty update"

Edited by madf on 15/04/2019 at 13:28

Land Rover Range Rover Sport - Buying my first Range Rover Sport - Advice? - focussed

Absolutely priceless - a bit like the warranty!

Who are these Carmax guys? Masochists?