Torque Converter auto - tourantass
Hi is there a data base anywhere of torque converter autos as I am looking for a high seating position auto petrol runabout...but am fed up of trying to find out whats not a semi automatic or automated manual etc.....the car will be petrol and prob around 5k. Ta
Torque Converter auto - RT

I doubt there's a database.

Most smaller, cheaper cars have switched from torque converter to DSG or automated manual as their automatic option - just the target area you're searching in.

Torque Converter auto - Rhubarb

Have a look at the Kia Venga or the similar Hyundai IX20. The auto in that price range only comes in 1.6 petrol with a 4 speed TC gearbox. Good cars but be aware that they're not the most economical, expect mid 30's MPG.

Edited by Rhubarb on 09/04/2019 at 10:59

Torque Converter auto - madf

Honda Jazz post 2011 has TC with CVT gearbox.

Torque Converter auto - John F

Peugeot 2008 can be had with Aisin EAT6 - which seems to be gathering a good reputation as a reliable modern TC gearbox. We might get one when our TC auto Focus dies or gets passed on. Might be out of your price range, though.

Edited by John F on 09/04/2019 at 12:59

Torque Converter auto - RT

Peugeot 2008 can be had with Aisin EAT6 - which seems to be gathering a good reputation as a reliable modern TC gearbox. We might get one when our TC auto Focus dies or gets passed on. Might be out of your price range, though.

The Aisin autoboxes have always had a good reputation - a number of car makers have switched in recent years from Jatco to Aisin.

Thanks for all the replies....are any of the older Suzuki cars torque converter autos as the sx4 may fit the bill or something similar?..
Torque Converter auto - badbusdriver
Thanks for all the replies....are any of the older Suzuki cars torque converter autos as the sx4 may fit the bill or something similar?..

Yes, the SX4 has a t/c auto, i was just about to suggest one. They were made up to 2014 but the youngest auto's on Autotrader are 2010. These can vary in price up to £6k (which is a bit much IMO), but here is a really nice looking one at £4k,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190331646...1

If you are OK with that age of car, you could consider a Ford Fusion 1.6 (the 1.4 had an automated manual), these were made up to 2010.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190404661...1

You could also have a look at the 2006-2013 Nissan Note 1.6, this also used a t/c auto.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190301544...1

Torque Converter auto - VengaPete

I believe Jatco made the now infamous self destructing CVT box on Nissan Qashqai's / Jukes / Murano's. I only mention this as an early Qashqai would be in budget
A guy on YouTube stripped one down and found the root cause was simply a bearing face for the CVT sliding cone was too soft and wore away causing the cone to seize when the bearing slipped. The whole thing is constantly in oil so it isn't an oil starvation problem.
Its actually a really interesting video and there's some interesting technology going on in a CVT.
Anyway, I'd avoid a Qashqai CVT (an early one would be in budget) for that reason especially as it was so bad in the USA that Nissan extended the gearbox warranty to 10 years (no such luck in rip off Britain though) The Honda and especially Toyota CVT's seem to be much more reliable so may be worth considering as well as a full T/C box

Torque Converter auto - VengaPete

Around town the Venga will only 25mpg (or less). I've got one and that is all I can manage even with a feather like right foot

On a run it will get as high as 39mpg which is nearer the Kia figures

Torque Converter auto - SLO76
Where roughly do you live and we’ll look to see what’s available near you with a reliable autobox?

If you can find one, and it is in budget, a Toyota Verso S would be a good shout. This isn't a t/c auto, but a CVT. No worries there though, it is reliable, smooth, and will be more efficient than a t/c auto. Only made for about 2 years, and very few about, but here is one for a look,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190323618...1

Hi..I live near Northwich Cheshire......
Torque Converter auto - pyruse

I just bought a 2006 Honda CRV MkII petrol auto, and that's a TC auto (and very nice to drive, too). I think the CRV stayed with a TC auto until the newer models, which are CVT, but the Honda CVT also has a TC (we also have a 2014 Jazz).

Torque Converter auto - John Boy

In July 2017 I made a list of small cars with torque convertor gearboxes for a friend. I've removed some Hyundai and Kia models which I believe changed latterly to semi automatic or automated manual boxes:

Ford Fiesta (2008–2013)

Hyundai i10 (2008–2014)

Hyundai i20 (2009–2015)

KIA Picanto (2004–2011)

KIA Rio (2005–2011)

Mazda 2 (2007–2015)

Suzuki Splash / Vauxhall Agila B (2008-2014)

Suzuki Swift (2005–2010)

Suzuki Swift (2010–2017)

Suzuki SX4 (2006-2014)

Edited by John Boy on 09/04/2019 at 18:13

Here are some possibilities, not too far away (based on a random postcode in Northwich).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190409679...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190123421...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190308566...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181017158...1

Thanks to everyone for the replies....plenty of food for thought now....I never thought of the Nissan note or the Ford fusion...I will have a weigh up on HJ real mpg and weigh up the best compromise.
Torque Converter auto - Fernando P

We have a 1.6 petrol 09 Nissan Note Acenta with TC auto. It has been good and will be kept until it drops. I had the auto gearbox oil changed at the 8 year mark ~40k mls. On a good day, 45 mpg is normal.

Edited by Fernando P on 10/04/2019 at 11:21

Torque Converter auto - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I believe the current Kia Picanto uses a torque convertor type gearbox. The mpg is therefore much worse than on the manual, according to the owners forum.

Car details for a new Picanto confirm it has a 4 speed automatic,

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 10/04/2019 at 13:08

I believe the current Kia Picanto uses a torque convertor type gearbox. The mpg is therefore much worse than on the manual, according to the owners forum.

Car details for a new Picanto confirm it has a 4 speed automatic,

Yes, it does. My Mother in law bought a new (auto) example of the Picanto's sister car, the Hyundai i10 about a month ago. The salesman, who lives locally, delivered it for her from Aberdeen (35ish miles from where the dealership is to her's). I went round to see it the next day and when i started it up, the average MPG reading was 34!. By way of comparison, our Jazz CVT, which at the moment is doing pretty much exclusively short town journeys, is showing about 48mpg.

Torque Converter auto - Avant

If it's brand new, the trip computer, or whatever it's called now, probably hasn't been reset since the car was being driven within the dealership premises having its PDI etc. with lots of cold starts.

Torque Converter auto - blindspot

please can you tell me the cost of fluid replacement.

Fernando...…. Nissan note

I test drove a picanto 2 auto last week . it was better than my hyundia 2009 auto. better over the rough road and more sensible tyre sizes

Torque Converter auto - Fernando P

Costs ~£150 from a member of http://www.fedauto.co.uk/. The fluid needs to be changed at 50K mls to ensure the auto box functions as it should etc. I have no connection with above btw.

Torque Converter auto - Big John

The Nissan note's auto was a TC box until the model change about 63 reg. It has an overdrive and a great 1.6 engine (original Nissan). A friend of mine had two of them and reported great real life economy (mid 40's).

Hi..Is the Suzuki sx4 auto ok whatever the year?
Hi..Is the Suzuki sx4 auto ok whatever the year?

Ha..HJ has answered that in his Q&A this week...Sorted.
Torque Converter auto - TQ

I can vouch for the 2006-2013 Nissan Note auto. I bought mine in 2012 with 31K miles and now it has 106K miles. I service it three times every year and had the autobox oil changed by Nissan in 2012, 2015 and 2018, £95 each time! A good engine and gearbox and I will keep the car until about 150 K miles. It drives OK and serves its purpose but not nice in design. Avoid all Nissans with CVT.

Torque Converter auto - Engineer Andy

It should be in good nick if you service it that often!

Torque Converter auto - gordonbennet

Indeed, TQ is a chap (one assumes) after my own heart.

However i feel positively guilty of neglect now, i only service my car twice a year, if the car could read and saw this she'd be weeping and then phoning carline...:-)

Indeed, TQ is a chap (one assumes) after my own heart.

However i feel positively guilty of neglect now, i only service my car twice a year, if the car could read and saw this she'd be weeping and then phoning carline...:-)

Haha...a chap indeed but just to keep you safe it is my wife who drives the car most. This is my third car since 1987! I keep them well-serviced and drive them until they are no longer fit for purpose. We also cycle and walk a lot so cut down on those killer short journeys which are bad for the car. Many journeys are on the M40 with cruise control at 65mph for 250 miles at off-peak times.

Good to read of others who take pride in their 'sheds' (in a polite way)......keep those Notes going

Edited by TQ on 17/04/2019 at 01:00

Torque Converter auto - Engineer Andy

As far as the car ownership pattern goes (though I've always had mine serviced on schedule at main dealers), mine sounds very similar, though one car behind at 2 cars in 21 years. Current one 13yo and counting...admitedly I would like a new one and this time with an auto (a proper one), but current financial circumstances won't allow that. Not too worried though.

Torque Converter auto - John F

What a polluting waste of time and money! Our 2000 Focus autobox (4F27E) requires no fluid changes and has had none. It is 18yrs/137,000m old and I fully expect it to last the life of the car or 150,000m, whichever comes sooner. Autobox experts do not recommend changing fluid unless the manufacturer specifically advises it. There is a risk of disturbing microdebris which can do more harm than good. Also, advice coming from a franchised dealer garage with the car maker's name over the door is sometimes not the same as the advice in the gearbox manufacturer's spec. (e.g. ZF, Aisin - names the motoring public are unaware of). Garages are always looking for expensive work to do - and they sometimes don't do it properly, using cheap wrong fluids, etc.

You are spot on John. Good to read that your car is running so well without an ATF change. I change the ATF in car every three years so the micro-debris never gets much chance to bed itself down. You rightly stated that many garages would make a hash of changing the ATF which is why it's the only job I entrust to the dealer....and at £95 it's dirt cheap.